Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of EPUB books I purchased from vendors other than B&N from before I owned the PDN (Sony, Fictionwise, Kobo) and was wondering if there is any way to get the default PDN Reader program to recognize/display them? It's annoying that I can't display them on my bookshelf and open them in the default Reader program when I own them!When I first got the PDN, I remember connecting the PDN to my computer, transferring several of these EPUB books into the Reader folder, and then being able to open them in the PDN Reader. Also, there was a discussion on the Facebook "I Love the Pandigital Novel e-Reader" page a couple of months ago where some users said that you could move books from the ADE folder to the main PDN folder and the Reader would open them. I have been unsuccessful at opening books not purchased through B&N in the Reader using either method this since installing the 8/6 firmware update. (Maybe Pandigital deliberately closed this "loophole" in the firmware update?)Does anyone know how I can get books I already own to be displayed in "My Library" and to get the Reader to open them?

·
Registered
361 Posts
If your books are DRM free, you should be able to open them. That is also true of DRM "freed" files. There is a very active anti-DRM movement & you may want to research their publications about liberating digital media from its digital shackles. I am not prepared to provide any instructions in this forum.Cheers,kev

·
Registered
846 Posts
kali,If your question is how to physically get the books onto the PDN where the reader can access them, then the manual tells how.. as I recall (don't have manual in front of me), you place them on the SD card (the one in the slot) and then, there is an item on your main menu called "SD" or something of the sort.. you press it and import the books..DRM from other vendors will present another problem that will have to be dealt with separately before you try to import to the PDN. The conversion/management program, Calibre will not help in removing DRM, but it will convert from formats other than epub to epub..

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I am going to assume that your problem is the DRM, because I have never had an issue having Aldiko or the default PDN reader seeing my epubs. Actually, after each wipe my epubs show up right away (I add them to an /ebooks folder on my SD card).DRM is restrictive on purpose - that's basically what it's designed to do. And all the major ebook vendors use it so if you've purchased from them then that's probably you're problem. So, your next question will probably be "how do I remove the DRM so that I can read the books I've purchased?". And my answer is that, legally, it's very questionable to do that -- some would argue that this falls under "fair-use" (which I happen to agree with) but supplying solutions on this board is probably not allowed. I would recommend some googling as there are probably ways to do this, again for "fair-use" purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
So I spell out what everyone is dancing around:I WILL BAN YOU SO FAST YOUR KEYBOARD WILL EXPLODE IF YOU POST INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PIRATE DRM'ED EBOOKS ON THIS FORUM.Sorry. I rarely moderate, but will swing the ban-hammer if I have to.

Reactions: mrsburnout

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Agreed. But, just to be clear (to everyone) the possibly of "fair-use" would only apply to ebooks that you've purchased. If you didn't buy it, it's piracy, pure and simple. As for "fair-use", the law in the US does not favor it at the moment, even with the recent District Court ruling on the subject.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Let's not split hairs. The Secret Service and your local Federal Court won't.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think that we have, thus far, used appropriate restraint & respect for this forum by not providing any assistance in removing DRM & stating that we will not.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Agreed. Just making sure no wise-ass gets any ideas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kali - It appears your original question was about using adobe digital editions to read books you have purchased. ADE mostly supports Sony Reader format. See their webpage.Adobe - Digital Editions : FAQIf that is all you're trying to do it should be legal and it should work since Pandigital advertises its. I do have a Sony reader but no experience with ADE so i can't really help you with any technical aspects of why it used to work and no longer does without additional information.To troubleshoot you will probably need to reload the base firmware from Pandigital... Latest is 8/20 and see if it works out of the box. If it does not work you will probably need to revert to the version you had that was working and live with that to read your DRM books. If it does work with the standard Pandigital load than people here should be able to help you with technical problems of getting the reader to work with the tablet hacking that has been done. But you will have to explain what you've done or added to your PDN beyond the standard firmware load.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The SONY iteration may not the same as the Kobo iteration, so keep that in mind - what that means is that you may only be able to use one or the other on your PDN, but not both. That's probably a question for PDN support. I wish I could help out more, but I avoid DRM like the plague (I guess that was already obvious).I believe I also read some posts where ADE was working then the user upgraded the firmware and then it broke. The fix (I think) was to delete the books on your SD card and re-register /re-sync the PDN again with your PC software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. I didn't realize this was such a controversial question and am not trying to get help doing anything illegal! I just thought I remembered being able to open my non-B&N ebooks in Reader when I first got the PDN and then suddenly it started prompting me for my credit card number. And here: Tips and Tricks | Facebook under "Topic View" a user discusses dragging books from the ADE folder to the ebooks folder and then being able to open them in Reader. I don't mind using ADE for library books, but it is a little cumbersome on the PDN, since you have to scroll to the program and you can't display your books nicely on the bookshelf.Perhaps this was a mistake that Pandigital corrected in a firmware update.Thanks for the suggestions. FWIW, I do think it's unfair to protect content I've paid for from being displayed in a different vendor's program, but I'll leave that to the courts to decide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know most users here are more sophisticated technophiles and are using the PDN as a tablet, but you guys are the best resource I have found so please forgive another basic Reader question. I am able to search for and purchase books on the B&N store, but recently, when I go to download them (open My Library, press Get Books, enter email address/password and login) it gives a message saying "Unknown server error". It did this before and after I installed the 8-20 fw update. I have to download the books to my computer and then connect the PDN and manually transfer them. Any ideas on how to fix this? It didn't do this before!Since I am just using the device as an ereader I am actually considering going back to the 7-6 fw, which was installed when I purchased the thing! It would probably resolve the question I originally posed (above) about reading non-B&N books in Reader and maybe would even fix this new problem?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
maybe not... there was a problem with BN's servers at one point that caused this. You may have to reflash the fw either way. 8-6 is working fine for me...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.