Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a few days ago that the base android calculator was force closing whenever I tried to run it. I was on the 8/20 firmware with key, market, and notification bar hacks... When I restored my device yesterday to 8/6... I checked again... Same thing.....NO CALCULATOR.... So I went to the marketplace and found a very nice replacement for free...RealCalc V 1.4.2 Excellent calculator...

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Mine came back on roebeet's 8/27, after I lost it from the 8/12 (his dates on the mods of OEM 8/6 & 8/20).BUT, before I went to the new FW, I did a stock upgrade to 8/20, reset back to factory defaults on the PDN System settings, then installed the new mod -- which runs like a Caddilac during a test drive.

·
Registered
784 Posts
[quote name='Mark Adams;49395]Mine came back on roebeet's 8/27' date=' after I lost it from the 8/12 (his dates on the mods of OEM 8/6 & 8/20).BUT, before I went to the new FW, I did a stock upgrade to 8/20, reset back to factory defaults on the PDN System settings, then installed the new mod -- which runs like a Caddilac during a test drive.[/QUOTE'] Mark, would you post that working calculator apk for download? I'd like to try installing it to see if it will work on my PDN. After seeing cosmos' post, I checked my unit and found that the calculator wasn't working for me either.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
We can do that. Hope this works. I thought it resided in system, but Smartbar let me just back it up to the SD. My old broken one would never uninstall or allow itself to be backed up before.It's version 5 of Android Calculator 2, which is not on the Market from what I can tell after wading through about a hundred calculators there. No idea what the old one was, but on system this one calls itself: com.android.calculator2I have a new icon installed, looks like the calculator program icon on a Mac. I don't know if it went through or if you've got the default one that looks like a child's toy calculator. Of all the calculators I've tried, this is the only one that actually uses all the real estate on the PDN screen. Don't even try Retro Calculator. It renders impossibly stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Have you tried placing the file in to /system/app with adb? The calculator is a system file and needs to be installed correctly.Also, don't use adb install as this is not what you want to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you guys have the "ARM11 optimized DVM w/JIT" hacked? Try to revert the hack and see if the base calculator works?I had the same problem before, but once I removed the ARM11 hack, the base calculator, somehow, works again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
arrow_choi Tried it... reverting to the original DVM lets the base calculator work again... Thanks for the tipBut after using RealCalc... I think I'll stick with that one anyway..

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote name='arrow_choi;49886]Do you guys have the "ARM11 optimized DVM w/JIT" hacked? Try to revert the hack and see if the base calculator works?I had the same problem before' date=' but once I removed the ARM11 hack, the base calculator, somehow, works again.[/QUOTE']I'm a newbie, but I've had amazing luck modding this beauty thanks to you folks.
However, I'm not sure how to reverse the above hack and the other calculator I loaded has the same won't-work problem. Can you give step-by-step directions as to how to hack-reverse ? Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stock calculator working ok on my WPDN with PD's 9/23 update + Launcherpro/gottahavit's button hacks/various add-on apk's.It is a bit disappointing in being a simplistic 7-inch calculator, so I think I will be checking out some with more features such as memory accumulators, history "tape", etc.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
[quote name='rokky;84750]Stock calculator working ok on my WPDN with PD's 9/23 update + Launcherpro/gottahavit's button hacks/various add-on apk's.It is a bit disappointing in being a simplistic 7-inch calculator' date=' so I think I will be checking out some with more features such as memory accumulators, history "tape", etc.[/QUOTE'] If you find one with a history tape, like an old-style printout spool or something equivalent, make sure you come back here and post it, or at least where to find it.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
[quote name='deering;84685]I'm a newbie' date=' but I've had amazing luck modding this beauty thanks to you folks. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG] However, I'm not sure how to reverse the above hack and the other calculator I loaded has the same won't-work problem. Can you give step-by-step directions as to how to hack-reverse ? Thanks![/QUOTE']It's amazing what's in the new wiki, and how easy it is to navigate.That thread tells you how they did it. I don't know if reading it backwards will help ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.