Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the information in this site too much to not have access to it all whenever the server goes down--is there a backup location or a way to have the contents of the forum downloaded for offline reading? Seriously, where does everyone go when the site falls down?--bornagainpenguinPS: Glad to see you all again!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
if there are things you need, why not put them on your computer...?I don't know why the site goes down, but if you have something you need, it makes sense to have it close to hand, right?

·
Registered
784 Posts
[quote name='lawman;39105]if there are things you need' date=' why not put them on your computer...?I don't know why the site goes down, but if you have something you need, it makes sense to have it close to hand, right?[/QUOTE'] Are you in politics? That is quite a non-response! So, all of us should just figure out a way to download the content of this entire site locally because you guys can't figure how to 1) make it work properly, and 2) keep it running reliably? Bullocks!

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='geebekazoo;39107]Are you in politics? That is quite a non-response! So' date=' all of us should just figure out a way to download the content of this entire site locally because you guys can't figure how to 1) make it work properly, and 2) keep it running reliably? Bullocks![/QUOTE'] It's not them it's the host. Make sure you put the anger towards the right place.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
We are learning that we cannot trust ppl that we pay service for . At this time we will have a backup location for downloadable files which I am working on now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name='lawman;39105]if there are things you need' date=' why not put them on your computer...?[/QUOTE'] I have a lot of the files; it's the instructions I seem to be missing most of the time! As it is, I'm doing my best to comb through the forum now while it's up again and view threads as a printed page, then list forty posts per page to save as much as I can without (hopefully) impacting the servers too much.Before it's all said and done I'll probably write myself a guide to what I generally do on each firmware upgradedowngrade and post it somewhere else, so I can refer to it where ever I am and may need the knowledge. The only reason I haven't done this for the Pandigital Novel like I generally do these days for my eeepc is because of how swiftly things have been changing around here with people discovering things constantly and making rapid improvements--so I didn't want to have something that would be out of date within a week of my compiling the information. But with how often the site goes away and with how frustrated I am with my new (exchanged) Novel and the latest firmware I've desperately wanted to revert to an earlier version but was unable due to not knowing how to enable all the goodies again after I did so...--bornagainpenguin

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
the anger does seem misplaced I emailed and called , all nite from work . then came home and foumd mike was doing the same in the whole time the sent us 2 responsesin 12 hours

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Yep, definitely a time to change the host. I realize you just moved recently but obviously they are not providing the necessary service.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote name='blazingwolf;39106]We all go in to hibernation. ;)[/QUOTE]LOL...for some reason I find myself believing you. Maybe its the lack of posts by SlateDroid refugees on the other Android forums when I searched?[QUOTE=Mp4doggie;39110]We are learning that we cannot trust ppl that we pay service for . At this time we will have a backup location for downloadable files which I am working on now.[/QUOTE] No criticism to you or anyone else on the forum's moderator or administrator teams was intended' date=' I just [i']desperately[/i] missed having access to all the information and guides here! As I posted to lawman, I'm trying to save as many threads as I can now, so I have access to their valuable contents even whenif the forum goes down again...Seriously what did we expect from the kinds of traffic a site like SlateDroid was destined to attract? We don't call it the biggest on the web for nothing, after all!--bornagainpenguin

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I copy and paste all instruction in to text files and place them with the hacks or changes. That way, if the site ever dies then I have them when I need them. Might be a habit to get in to if you need this type of thing often.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
I get I spent hours on the phone and this is sad , that we cant get a good service. It effects us and our members . let just say I have a solution Im working on

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='Mp4doggie;39117]I get I spent hours on the phone and this is sad ' date=' that we cant get a good service. It effects us and our members . let just say I have a solution Im working on[/QUOTE'] Very good to hear and sad that it is even necessary.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote name='blazingwolf;39116]I copy and paste all instruction in to text files and place them with the hacks or changes. That way' date=' if the site ever dies then I have them when I need them. Might be a habit to get in to if you need this type of thing often. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE'] That's my current plan of action now--and really it was my own fault for being lazy and not starting to do so earlier, but as I said to lawman you geniuses around here are pumping out such great hacks and evolving the device so quickly I was tempted to wait until a later time when things had stabilized a bit. Look how quickly we leaped from the "ugly" hack for market to the more elegant solution we have now!It seems like every other day I come here and there's an improvement over the previous method used!--bornagainpenguin

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote name='Mp4doggie;39117]I get I spent hours on the phone and this is sad ' date=' that we cant get a good service. It effects us and our members . let just say I have a solution Im working on[/QUOTE'] I know you'll do what you have to do, and I thank you for that. No criticism of the SlateDroid forums or its admins was intended in this thread or (I hope) ever implied. i am very grateful for the resources you bring together for us here. Thank you.--bornagainpenguin

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
hey if anyone wants to help me setup the backup site , it will be in case of emergencies , let me know

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I'm willing to help. Let me know what you need and how to do it.Also, will we need to sign up there or will you migrate all of the members info?

·
Registered
784 Posts
[quote name='Mp4doggie;39112]the anger does seem misplaced I emailed and called ' date=' all nite from work . then came home and foumd mike was doing the same in the whole time the sent us 2 responsesin 12 hours[/QUOTE'] I don't know if I'm laughing out loud or crying our loud. But I apologize for sounding angry, I'm really trying to sound frustrated!!!!! I appreciate the fact that this board and the forums exist. I don't know what kind of venture controls this site, but I just feel that not a lot of attention is being paid to it. The board has grown in leaps and bounds, yet the search function is on life support, and in the interim, posts that duplicate other posts are proliferating like virii. It seems that whole thing is becoming boundlessly un-managable and un-navigable.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='geebekazoo;39131]I don't know if I'm laughing out loud or crying our loud. But I apologize for sounding angry' date=' I'm really trying to sound frustrated!!!!! I appreciate the fact that this board and the forums exist. I don't know what kind of venture controls this site, but I just feel that not a lot of attention is being paid to it. The board has grown in leaps and bounds, yet the search function is on life support, and in the interim, posts that duplicate other posts are proliferating like virii. It seems that whole thing is becoming boundlessly un-managable and un-navigable.[/QUOTE'] Get used to that. even with a perfectly functioning search button duplicate threads abound. That is where the mods have to step in and merge or close them (not calling anyone out it's just a fact).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts