Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I plug my PDN into my Windows 7 computer, Avast is reporting that autorun.inf on the internal sd card is a virus and deletes it. I am going to the virus chest and restoring it. Is this really a virus or is Avast incorrect? Should I leave it deleted? What is the purpose of this file?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think the PDN even has an autorun.inf file on the device in it's stock form. You might have actually caught a virus that replicated itself onto the PDN. I run Avast and have had no problems with my device.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive connected mine on several systems running Trend, MSE, and other AV's - never gotten a single hit... I doubt its the image, as I even connected it before reimaging it... on the last 3 images.My guess is the unit was either a rebox return, or you got it infected somewhere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You should be able to open autorun.inf in Notepad or any text editor to see what it's calling.Aside from that, was this a stock card that came in the PDN or did you buy this and swap it in? If you bought it, where did you buy it? And did you format it before putting it into your PDN?Some of the cheapo cards from overseas sometimes come with virii and trojans on them. They need to be formatted before use. And turning off Autorun on your drives is good security practice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
jeffrowe;29660]My guess is the unit was either a rebox return said:
This is always possible...[quote name='pocket_aces;29663]You should be able to open autorun.inf in Notepad or any text editor to see what it's calling.[/QUOTE]Looked Chinese to me...or at least what passed for it when running English language XP with no other languages installed.[QUOTE=pocket_aces;29663]Aside from that' date=' was this a stock card that came in the PDN or did you buy this and swap it in? If you bought it, where did you buy it? And did you format it before putting it into your PDN?[/QUOTE']This wasn't a card, other than the microSD one that is built inside the unit itself, if that's what you mean? I did not buy a SD card for this unit (yet).--bornagainpenguin

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's more likely that it's binary data inserted to help the malware avoid detection. The conficker virus spread this way. (You or someone who plugged that PDN or microSD into their computer might have it or some similar malware btw.) I don't have my Novels yet, so I can't tell you whether it's supposed to be there or what it's doing. I'd let the antivirus program quarantine it for the time being and only dig it back out if found to be necessary. And scan all your drives, including the PDN.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are several thigs spreading that way. Its probably not good. The autorun calls the malware, which is probably set to hidden,which installs itself on your machine. Once installed it will place copies on removable media, like the pdn. Check your flash drives.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Greeaaaat. I blame all the rest of you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;33678]Uhhhhh....yeah' date=' you couldn't pay me to click that link from a first poster.[/QUOTE'] Run Linux (like Ubuntu), and it is safer. I know it isn't problem-proof, but it is much more problem-resistant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Once you plug it in the drives become targets for those types of hidden apps. I you plugged it in to an infected machine it copied itself and autorun to the sd card, internal or external and set the propeties of the files to hidden. Now when you plug into another pc, the pc tries to runt he autorun-infecting a new host. mount the sd card and show hidden files, if autorun or an exe ( of unknown origin) is there thats the prob- rename or remove. Then run a full scan on your pc too.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;33678]Uhhhhh....yeah' date=' you couldn't pay me to click that link from a first poster.[/QUOTE'] First and never since. Nothing personal, but nooooo thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
To follow up now that my PDNs have come in, I can tell you there is no autorun.inf file on my Pandigital Novel, neither out-of-the-box pre-hack or post-hack. You probably had to have gotten it some other way (copied from a disc maybe? unzipped from an ISO? lending it to someone?) or by malware.

·
Registered
402 Posts
pocket_aces;33732 said:
You probably had to have gotten it some other way (copied from a disc maybe? unzipped from an ISO? lending it to someone?) or by malware.
Or some unethical stores are selling units as new that the stores upgraded the firmware on, and they used a machine with malware on it. I can't seem to find the thread now, but wasn't there a poster who commented on how his novel came without the tape to hold the battery cover on it and people thought it might have been a returned unit?--bornagainpenguin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.