Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
As well as not being authorised to distribute a device with the Market, they (like most of the others) do not seem to be authorised to distribute the Linux kernel either - because AFAIK they're not complying by the terms of the GPL.Will be interesting to see what happens if/when KMart's legal team pick up on any of this. Also whether or not Google will follow it up legally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
martytaylor;32198 said:
What makes it smug? The Gentouch might be great for enthusiasts but I don't think anyone would disagree that from an ordinary user's perspective it's closer to broken, even "junky". Look at the Kmart official blog which is filling up with complaints from users who have lost microSD cards inside the unit, are disappointed by the battery life, etc. There's the whole duplicate MAC address issue. Much of the software on it clearly is illegal. And I'll bet a symbolic dollar that you won't find a FCC ID anywhere on or near the device even though it's got the FCC logo on it. If you've any sympathy at all for companies like Pandigital and Archos that are trying to make it as legitimate manufacturers then you should be a bit frustrated that Augen isn't even trying to play by the rules, and I think that's where Laptop's coming from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll forgive me if I don't wish to see a fledgling company, who has done nothing but issue updates to fix problems and apologize for those it can't, out of business because they did not request google's legal permission before making available certain apps. Plus, I'd bet that this is mostly the result of kmart's early ad placement. Was supposed to ship in September. Leaving Augen plenty of time to secure the google stamp of approval.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote name='Dick Whitman;32457]You'll forgive me if I don't wish to see a fledgling company' date=' who has done nothing but issue updates to fix problems and apologize for those it can't, out of business because they did not request google's legal permission before making available certain apps. Plus, I'd bet that this is mostly the result of kmart's early ad placement. Was supposed to ship in September. Leaving Augen plenty of time to secure the google stamp of approval.[/QUOTE'] So they get a free pass for not playing by the rules because they're trying their hardest to fix the problems caused by their illegal actions? Were you this forgiving of BP?Augen could never have received Google's stamp of approval. The device simply does not meet the requirements for Android compatibility. See http://source.android.com/compatibility/android-2.1-cdd.pdf for the full list.

·
Registered
576 Posts
kmart blog comment:
Florida- August 07, 2010 - Augen Electronics Corp., an innovator of tablet pc's, netbooks, and eReaders, would like to deliver the following statement to address the circulating media gossip regarding Augen's preloaded apps.On July, 29 2010 Augen had a constructive conversation with Google Inc. The topic of the discussion was Google's Application Suite. As you know, Google Inc. has released the source code for the entire Android platform under the flexible and commercial-friendly Apache 2.0 open source license. Augen is free to use that open source code; however, the suite of applications comprising Google Mobile Services on Android are proprietary to Google and have not been released under open source licenses. The Google Mobile Service and Android Apps were pre installed during the development process on our tablets for testing purposes, and were not removed unintentionally before releasing the products in the market place.Google and Augen came to a mutual understanding that the Google Mobile Services Application Suite pre-installed on the GENTOUCH/ GENBOOK Series; could not be removed due to technological constraints for the products that were sold, shipped, or already produced.For future production runs and deliveries, Augen will block and remove the Google Mobile Services Application Suite from the current devices until further notice. We are currently in communication with Google Inc. to obtain the required licensing for upcoming products, and will announce in our future statements the timelines and availability of these products as it will become available to us. However, for your convenience Augen will add applications to accommodate the absence of the Google Mobile Services Application Suite.OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU…The future of Augen holds a key to develop market conscious products with a vision of delivering the latest and emerging technologies, being available and affordable to every household, big/small corporation in the United States of America and worldwide.We are at the final stages of releasing an entire new line of products which incorporates the newest technology and concepts, that will make a difference in your every day lives. We encourage you our Gen Nation, to follow the exciting products that Augen will be unveiling in the very near future. We are here to put the world at your fingertips and take you beyond the realm of the market that exists today, bringing you with us into a new era of open world communication and computing.We are a US based company and understand and incorporate your wishes, desires, and requirements in our company's DNA. We are here for you and are looking for your continued support, and excitement in our current and future releases.Gary GofmanCEOAugen Electronics Corp.
MyKmart Blogs: Augen 7" Android Tablet Update

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
darmok;32506 said:
Were you this forgiving of BP?
Slight Difference in scale of offense. So let's not get carried away.But I agree they would not get approval for market. Mainly because it doesn't work on devices w/o a phone without long hacks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;32192]As well as not being authorised to distribute a device with the Market' date=' they (like most of the others) do not seem to be authorised to distribute the Linux kernel either - because AFAIK they're not complying by the terms of the GPL.[/QUOTE']And I dont think they know what GPL is even.. As you can see by this conversation:Mark Reed: is their any word when source will be released as it is required by Law in the USA.Mark Reed: Augen has released a product with GPL components andtherefore they are legally and ethically required to comply now with releasing GPL sources and not at some undisclosed future time.Christian: let me talk to my managerMark Reed: kChristian: i was told that there's no info yet regarding that.CPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts