Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Text from live chat:Chris: I just curious when the promised Firmware upgrade is coming*?Chris: for the Gentouch78Mark: There is a portion of the patch that was posted for USB driver of the deviceMark: the other portion will be uploaded in the site next wednesdayChris: that was just drivers. didnt even need those.. so the fix for the market, and other problems, wont be until next wednesday*?Mark: yesChris : even though it was promised in 48 hours 4 days ago?Mark: We apologize for thatMark: our R&D targeted for the whole Patch but due to technicality of the the patch with the Android, it was pended.UPDATE: Says Tuesday Aug 10th is possible earliest date. Most likely the 11th.CPG

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Hope they have bee reading here and delay is to make a real fix to the market instead of turning it off and giving a different one. Waiting an extra week for that is ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
confirmed, pretty much same info.Jeff S: hello, what is up with my touchpad78? Nothing seems to work.Jeff S: market, callibration, etcMark: For market, the patch will be posted next wednesdayMark: for the Factory reset, it will come with the patch also in wednesdayJeff S: as in 2 days or a week from 2 days?Mark: The calibration screen patch will posted by the end of this weekJeff S: i was told it would be available last friday night by 5pm estMark: next wednesday Aug. 10Jeff S: thats a longgg wait for a new deviceMark: Yes.. we do apologize for the delay because of the technical issues that our R&D encountered, the roll out of the patch was pendedJeff S: will I get full android market or some cooked up one that you make?Mark: Based on our R&D it will fix the download issueJeff S: ok. thank you for the info. Have a great daywe shall see I guess.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
7 days?? Ugh. Well, that just made my decision for me - mine is going back to Kmart, I've wasted enough time with this thing.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;29160]7 days?? Ugh. Well' date=' that just made my decision for me - mine is going back to Kmart, I've wasted enough time with this thing.[/QUOTE'] Please post which Kmart you are returning it. Someone on here may want to buy it there. If it's not for you it's not for you. There are lot's of other pads out with more coming all time.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm sure that I'd be saying it too, but they seem to have made a shoestring budget delivery. Either that or their ODM is having problems.(Or possibly they were hoping to shift more of those craptacular "netbooks". Their reader is probably fine IF you consider it as a READING device ONLY with some slight extra functionality, AND one that can only really be used out of direct/bright sunlight... which makes it effectively useless to me. OTOH with the current deals for a PDN for something similar that can do more it's a hard sell...)The again, I wonder if kmart had to pass out too many rainchecks and so are going to squat on new stock until they mostly expire...

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Rain check doesn't mean you'll get one just mean you get one at the lower price. Shame I had found that out when I had visited Kmart store which I found by accident. Those type of stores you'll find something like a treasure hunt. The price they had on Sunday was $169.99 they had accepted my rain check from my state Kmart. Still the glitches might me think about something else. I like the fact I can sit at my dinning table watch CNN on the HDTV and still have this device looking at sites like this or reply back. Then get a ring or tone letting me know that my gmail has got mail. I would like to know if the Market place will work. The program use for memory like memory lite would be neat to use. But since I can't download it and did try to use my web server to pull down the file to the microSDHC then install the app that way didn't work.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
mogrith;29170 said:
Please post which Kmart you are returning it. Someone on here may want to buy it there. If it's not for you it's not for you. There are lot's of other pads out with more coming all time.
I actually considered selling it, but two issues with that. First, I had used my credit card to purchase, not cash (the latter being easier for a future buyer to deal with a return, if the device broke before 90 days). But the biggest issue is that my device has a small dark spot in the upper right side of the screen - not sure if it's a few dead pixels or a smudge under the screen, but I wouldn't want to sell the device in that condition. Even if I had kept it, I still would have returned it for an exchange because of the defect.If anyone is still interested, it's going back to their Langhorne PA store tomorrow, and I will tell them about the physical defect. Whether or not they put it back on the shelf is beyond my control.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;29616]I actually considered selling it' date=' but two issues with that. First, I had used my credit card to purchase, not cash (the latter being easier for a future buyer to deal with a return, if the device broke before 90 days). But the biggest issue is that my device has a small dark spot in the upper right side of the screen - not sure if it's a few dead pixels or a smudge under the screen, but I wouldn't want to sell the device in that condition. Even if I had kept it, I still would have returned it for an exchange because of the defect.If anyone is still interested, it's going back to their Langhorne PA store tomorrow, and I will tell them about the physical defect. Whether or not they put it back on the shelf is beyond my control.[/QUOTE'] If you see a small dark spot that's a dead pixel. If you see a bright spot (usually white, red, blue, green) you got a stuck pixel. Both are not good signs of the Panel quality (and control at the factory must be lousy). These companies like HDTV LED/LCD or LCD are not going to replace it. Best to take it back if your unhappy with it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
one suggestion however, if youre considering taking it back because of the market, or some other sw related issue.check out xda-developers.comthere are folks over there working fast and furious (the true spirit of open source) and are having some great results!just my 2 ctsi personally have printed about 20 pages of notes from that site HOPING that my raincheck gets called tomorrow as they indicated.j

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Nah, it's more than that. Even without the dead pixel, I still would have returned it - even at $155.00 ($20 off plus tax), it's got too many issues that are a problem for me. I mentioned these in other posts, but to reiterate here:- No accelerometer. And even worse, when an app changes the orientation, it stays that way. Very annoying. Granted, you can add an "auto-rotate" app to get around it.- A lot of heat comes off the back of the device, especially when charging. - No recovery mode, yet. Again, could be fixed in the future but right now you have to do some drastic stuff to wipe the device. And if you brick the device accidentally, there's no way to fix it right now, tmk.(EDIT: A recovery image has just been released. This is no longer an issue)- Feels cheap. It is very light and small, but I don't think that's a plus in my eyes. I prefer the solid feel of the PDN.- The delay in the first patch. It went from last week to last Tuesday to next week. That's not a good thing, and it makes me wonder about future support.- Certain apps (like ACV) don't fill the entire screen. It seems like it's the same problem, going on how the screen looks, but no guarantee that it will be fixed anytime soon.And my PDN, which does not have any of these issues, was also ~$50 cheaper, which is fairly substantial. The Gentouch pros are video playback (very smooth) and WiFi which I found to be superior to the PDN. But, those two pros were not enough for me to keep it. Btw, I didn't get a chance to get to the Langhorne store, today. Will return it on Friday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts