Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few different Memo pads, an HD, and another older model from last year, this is the newest Intel BayTrail version. Well, first to get the technical stuff out of the way-

Asus ME176CX 7" Tablet 16GB Intel Atom Quad Core:

Technical Specifications:
1.33GHz Intel Atom Baytrail Quad-Core processor
1GB DDR3 of system memory
7.0" touchscreen, 1280 x 800 resolution
Built-in 802.11b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth v4.0
Additional Features:
Back 2MP webcam and front 0.3MP webcam
microUSB 2.0 port, headphone/microphone combo jack
16GB onboard storage memory, additional memory via microSD card slot
Built-in stereo speakers
GPS, G-sensor, E-compass, hall sensor
Up to 9 hours of run time on a full charge
Weighs 0.65 lbs; 7.5" x 0.38" x 4.5" dimensions
Software and Applications:
Android 4.4 OS (KitKat)
Media Formats: popular media formats
What's in the Box:
Tablet, battery and AC adapter

Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Mobile device Purple

I saw a review of this and though it was a good buy at $149.99. Then I looked it up on a few sites, and it sells for $129.99. For that price, i couldn't resist getting one. I haven't had a 7" tablet in a while, and never an Intel powered Android one, so this looked to give me 2 reasons to justify purchasing it.

After ordering it from Amazon, it arrived via USPS. First impressions out of the box, it is very light and thin. Comes with just a little manual, and the charger. After going through the usual setup of any android device, it was ready to go. The screen is not the brightest, but personally I always turn down the brightness on my devices, so it is good enough for me. While the screen is somewhat reflective, the colors are good, and viewing angles also are excellent.

ASUS has put it's own ZENUI interface over the stock android one. It's not a radical change, and after a bit it's as easy to use as vanilla android. There's also the ASUS apps preloaded, as with most devices, but not an overwhelming amount of them. For some reason it has 2 drop-down menus, one is from the top left and is system notifications. The other, from the top right side, has quick settings, and you can switch between each by touching the icon in the upper right corner.

Product Mobile device Communication Device Telephony Portable communications device

The performance of the tablet is very, very good. You would think that only having 1GB ram would cause slowdowns, but it doesn't. Also, the 1.33GHz processor can use a turbo mode, getting up to 1.86GHz. This makes the tablet get warm on the back when in turbo mode for extended times, like when playing graphic-intensive games. But it also allows the tablet to get some impressive benchmarks.

Colorfulness Font Software Rectangle Screenshot

Font Communication Device Gadget Screenshot Electronic device

These results from a $129 tablet are amazing. I actually got higher Quadrant scores on retest, 17,899. That's about even to an Amazon Kindle HDX, one of the more powerful devices around. And it's not just in benchmarks that this tablet does well. Loading webpages, switching between apps, UI transitions, downloading and installing apps, all happen very, very fast. I've not run into any lag yet(granted it's only a couple days use). Videos playback perfectly, Youtube streams nicely(Michael Lucarelli playing guitar on the bottom right, while browsing tenniesnatux(Macktion's) videos). Running KitKat 4.2.2, it is a smooth experience using this device.

Photograph Light Product Green Font

Of course, there's always something to complain about. The cameras are, frankly terrible. For myself it's no big deal, I don't use a tablet for picture taking. I guess the front one would be adequate for Skype calls, but I won't use it. And the power connector is very tight-it takes some pressing to get the micro usb into the tablet. Some people won't like the button placement, but it works well when in portrait mode, and is okay for landscape also.

Gadget Communication Device Portable communications device Rectangle Composite material

You can expect to get around 9 hours or so use, which should get you through the day. It comes in several colors-red, yellow, blue, and white-if you don't want it in black. You also get 2 years of free ASUS cloud storage, up to 500GB. There's also some other services thrown in, an eMusic app with 75 free downloads, and Zinio, a digital magazine service with 6 free mini subscriptions as well as a $10 voucher at registration. Overall, this is a nifty little tablet. Fast, cheap, and very portable, it's definitely a good choice for someone looking for a good tablet at budget prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the review. Thinking of getting one of these for my daughter for Christmas.

Any idea if it has been rooted, or if there are any custom ROMs for it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the review. Thinking of getting one of these for my daughter for Christmas.

Any idea if it has been rooted, or if there are any custom ROMs for it?
It has been rooted, but no roms yet. Maybe a custom recovery will be done soon. Mine is working well, especially considering the price.

sent from hdx+ with tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Mine is working well, especially considering the price.
I would hope so since that's Asus brand. Should be very good quality because reputable and big name brand for laptops and other computer gear.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would hope so since that's Asus brand. Should be very good quality because reputable and big name brand for laptops and other computer gear.
Even a name brand has higher and lower end products. My $400 Asus T100 should be overall much better than the $129 Memopad. I'm very pleased with its overall performance and quality, especially because of the price.

Sent from my Asus Memopad 7

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Even a name brand has higher and lower end products. My $400 Asus T100 should be overall much better than the $129 Memopad. I'm very pleased with its overall performance and quality, especially because of the price.

Sent from my Asus Memopad 7
OK, that's true but I don't expect any big name brand company selling in America to release garbage products to consumers or else their reputation would be tarnished very quickly. =)

Very good specs and great price for a 7" tablet! Very good choice for anyone looking for 7" tablet.

Reactions: will567

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know why the Memo does not allow Aldiko reader to install?

When I try it just says app not installed.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know why the Memo does not allow Aldiko reader to install?
When I try it just says app not installed.
I installed and ran it on mine no problem. Which version firmware do you have?

Sent from Asus Memo Pad 7

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed and ran it on mine no problem. Which version firmware do you have?

4.4.2 build ww-3.1.23.124

Did you download the APK and then install it or did you do it through the play store? I don,t want to have to get a play account just to install software.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Used the play store. You're firmware seems way outdated, newest is 3.2.23.191.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Used the play store. You're firmware seems way outdated, newest is 3.2.23.191.

where is that available and will I have to reinstall the version of android that is on there now or is the firmware itself the updated version of android?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In settings, go to about tablet, and there should be a system update tab, touch it and there should be available update. Same android, newer version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In settings, go to about tablet, and there should be a system update tab, touch it and there should be available update. Same android, newer version.

OK I will try to get to the library and see if I can get the update. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts