Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi

I am planning to purchase an archos 8 0 g9 (excuse the space emoticon issues) but i have not seen any videos that show gaming capabilities, my dropad c8 can play games pretty awesomely and im hoping that the archos can too, can anybody explain their gamiing experiences on the archos 8 0 g9 and its compatability with current 3d games available as i dont want to upgrade in terms of speed but lose ability to play games etc, also the form factor makes me think compatability might be an issue.

please... do tell?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi

I am planning to purchase an archos 8 0 g9 (excuse the space emoticon issues) but i have not seen any videos that show gaming capabilities, my dropad c8 can play games pretty awesomely and im hoping that the archos can too, can anybody explain their gamiing experiences on the archos 8 0 g9 and its compatability with current 3d games available as i dont want to upgrade in terms of speed but lose ability to play games etc, also the form factor makes me think compatability might be an issue.

please... do tell?
Mine is shipping today, so can't say yet. In researching I saw a cool youtube video that shows saving a Flash game (save page command) to your PC desktop using Firefox will allow you to transfer it to your Archos. (The guy claims only Firefox will work) After saving, you just open the file folder and copy / paste the Flash object to the Flash folder on your Archos. Rename the file to something more understandable, and you are done. Probably easier to make a copy and rename on the PC before transferring to the tablet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased one from my local uk currys yesterday and have used it quite a bit since and I I have to say since i am very dissapointed,

The Bad

web browsing is slow and laggy as the pages do not load totally e.g the page loads as your scrolling down even after waiting,

flash video playback in browser often crashes the tab causing it to restart itself, camera is bad in low light conditions,

you cant exit apps properly as even if you select to exit in the apps menu they stay in the multitask panel running in background (unless you go in and stop them with the honeycomb built in task killer),

gameplay is not toally smooth on the game I have tested (nova 2) it plays relatively smooth however seems to pause slightly at times like a frame skip, i also tried n64oid which was slow loading and the on screen controller froze,

angry birds loads but the screen is not smooth as the pixels have been stretched however plays well (i couldnt care less about angry birds anyway but it just shows that the screen resizing can cause graphics issues.

I have issues with moon reader ebook reader as it does not want to only change page when i swype as soon as it gets to the next chaper page it will only skip chapters

The Good

media playback with files loaded on the device is good they play back smoothly through the hdmi and I had no trouble with the files I put on it.

youtube app playback is looks good.
screen quality is nice very vibrant colours etc
battery life is good.
the stand is useful
honeycomb is much more user intuitive than any before it
wifi signal isnt too bad in the room next to the rooter I get over half.

the issue I have is that my herotab c8 is faster for browsing web pages doesnt seem to lag, very rarely restarts itself and can view flash in browser without crashing my tablet, also I can root it and install chainfire which means gameplay is brilliant when playing nova 2 (better than archos tablet however colours etc are a little washed out compared to archos ) I can remove my memory card from its external slot and change it for a different one and it instantly reads the new one unlike the archos where I cannot even see the card in folders.

if im missing something that has hampered my experience please advise as I am giving this to the end of the week and will more than likely return it if it stays like this.

Soulclaimed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the review. Have you tried a different browser to see if the performance improves? I know Dolphin HD ran much faster than the default on my Pandigital.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am using this tablet 1 week and do not have the same problems as you. I did install Opera mini browser and it works quite well. Firefox basically sucked and dolphin was OK. Before doing anything I installed the latest firmware. I do have a complaint also about programs not c.losing even when you exit properly but not sure if its a Honeycomb thing or the G90? Flash 11 does not crash but I have to toggle full screen or I only get audio Every game I have tried runs smooth and angry birds looks better than on my Nook. Maybe you got a bad copy of a birds or a bad tablet. I love my G80! I am writing this from the tablet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts