Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than as dedicated music players I just cant see a need for non-phone android devices with a 2.8" or 3.2" lcd. Whats others take on this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
They aren't good as DAPs. Only 4 or 8GB storage, and no uSD. For DAPs, storage capacity is everything. The Sony E345 has 16GB, and has been sold in Walmart for $75 since last year.In looking over potential use cases, they'll (A28 & 32) heavily depend on 3rd-party Android apps for special uses that don't require large screen space, eg smart remote controller, wifi sniffer, etc. One potential popular use is as VOIP phones, using the recently announced Google call feature.I think the intent is to compete against the Apple Touch/Nano/Shuffle line, since the price points are very similar to comparable iPod models. We'll have to wait for Apple's revised lineup today to judge whether Archos has a chance with their A43/32/28. If the Touch can get the Retina Display, plus cams, and also hold the pricing at $200 for 8GB as with the old model, then even the A43 will be in trouble.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Specs-wise, the two are fairly evenly matched. The A43 has the larger display and almost as high a resolution, which is important for text legibility when web browsing. The Touch has more responsive navigation thanks to its mutitouch capacitive screen. The A43 has better AV codec support and better I/O (uSD, USB, HDMI). The Touch has a (much) larger app store, and larger built-in storage options. The Touch has the front cam for vid conf w/ other iPods. The A43 is slightly ($29) cheaper at the base price.But honestly, I don't think going by specs is an accurate evaluation. The real consideration is still "do you want to live in Apple's walled garden?" and that hasn't changed with the new releases. The new Touch is substantially improved over the old, and will sell boatloads just as with the old model, while the A43 is the first Android device (hopefully, not the only) that matches well against the Touch. Android users will get the A43, and Apple users will get the Touch.What's interesting about the new iPod lineup is the dumbing down of the Nano (smaller display, no cam, no video). I suspect it's to establish a clearer segmentation between the Nano and Touch: the Nano is now strictly music, and the Touch is for video and web/apps. It also signals Apple's de-emphasizing the DAP/PMP as standalone devices, and instead being subsumed in the more comprehensive (and more expensive) "connected" theme.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI, if anyone hasn't noticed yet, the 32 model has just been released on the Archos store for the new low price of $149.99 :pTo whoever orders one of these, tell me how it is. I'm only really wanting the 43 model and above as the 32 model is just to dang small for my big fingers

·
Registered
34 Posts
mingnon;54426 said:
a review would be fantastic
I second this. mainly want to know the quality and the video playback on-device as well as through the HDMI. Mainly, like I stated, I'm wanting the 43+, but we can atleast get a feel of how things are before the bigger models come out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote name='H.P.;49002]In looking over potential use cases' date=' they'll (A28 & 32) heavily depend on 3rd-party Android apps for special uses that don't require large screen space, eg smart remote controller, wifi sniffer, etc. One potential popular use is as VOIP phones, using the recently announced Google call feature.I think the intent is to compete against the Apple Touch/Nano/Shuffle line, since the price points are very similar to comparable iPod models. We'll have to wait for Apple's revised lineup today to judge whether Archos has a chance with their A43/32/28. If the Touch can get the Retina Display, plus cams, and also hold the pricing at $200 for 8GB as with the old model, then even the A43 will be in trouble.[/QUOTE'] Google Call would be pretty neat, but that, even along with competition with Touch/Nano, doesn't seem like good enough reason.If they could do HDMI playback, that might tilt things, though that doesn't seem too interesting to me. I hooked up a WD Live to my big LCD monitor, and am perfectly happy for the WD Live to remain immobile with the also-immobile monitor.It just seems too small for there to be much interesting use case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.