Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I rooted my Nova and have tried both the Market 2.2.11 and 3.0.26 updates with the requisite cache/data clears and reboots following the instructions here : http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/19735-updated-0713-new-market-3026-updatezip/.

I still noticed some apps missing such as :

Dolphin Browser HD (https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser)
Vevo (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vevo)
TV.com (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhythmnewmedia.tvdotcom)

I have these app on my phone and extracted them and side-loaded to my Nova. They all work , no force closes.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a build.prop or other hack that would make these and other apps visible.

Got a feeling that these apps use GPS Fine Location to do some demographics and it's required in their manifest, but not
required to run the apps, hence Market filter exclude these from the Nova.

Anybody else have specific apps that are excluded so we can get some test cases to get the problem sorted out ?

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
You'll have to start tweaking the build.prop file to spoof a different device to see if you can get more results to show.
With the aforementioned, I have had minimal success -- market hack giving the best search results still (on PDP). You can always sideload these apps (download them from the net and move them to your PDN) that don't show up.

GL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll have to start tweaking the build.prop file to spoof a different device to see if you can get more results to show.
Hi Spz0,

Thanks for the work with the PDN root !

Already spoofed the fingerprint per directions here with no success:
http://www.careace.net/2010/06/16/how-to-fix-protected-android-market-app/

Tried updating the the entry for the GPS hardware from - hw.nogps=true -> hw.nogps=false (love the double negatives
! )
This only resulted in force closes when accessing the Location&Security setting. Thought I had to enable GPS after...

I'll try a tweak of the device a well.

Do you think there are other entries in the build.prop worth tweaking ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting finding about app availability on Market App:
The latest firmware update will cause substantially more of the android market apps to be unavailable than the base, preloaded version, I think.
I had one of the August downloads installed, but my system became unstable and I wiped and started over. This time, I applied the latest firmware update automatically PR71....10262011, and after I had rooted and installed the Gapps update, the Market App was missing apps that were there before I wiped.
I wiped again, re-rooted and updated, and voila, the apps were back in the Market app, though certainly not all that one might want, like Dolphin Browser, which I checked.
Moral of the story, before you update firmware after rooting, grab what you want from the market, and then do your update if you are so inclined. (I need to do it to restore 'home' key.)

Another related newbe question: is there a way to get just the .apk file from the Market App, without installing it? Or is there a way to get into what I assume are hidden android files? When I download an app, it installs automatically, and then I can't find it on the internal or SD card searches. Where does it go?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have no market on my PD Nova! I have some stupid thing called GetJar. I downloaded and installed a market apk and every time I try to open it it says "you must have a google account on this device" or something to that effect. I do have a google account linked to this device. Mail works, but market won't. I've tried a few different market apks with no luck. I got this thing because it said it was an android tablet, but I don't want it if I can't get on the android market and get apps.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have no market on my PD Nova! I have some stupid thing called GetJar. I downloaded and installed a market apk and every time I try to open it it says "you must have a google account on this device" or something to that effect. I do have a google account linked to this device. Mail works, but market won't. I've tried a few different market apks with no luck. I got this thing because it said it was an android tablet, but I don't want it if I can't get on the android market and get apps.
You can;t just install a market apk. There are dependencies with other Google APKs. Having a Google account in the e-mail app isn't one of them. The best way is to root your Nova then install either the full Gapps or one of the smaller market versions that are out there. All you need to know is right here in these forums.

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i seem to have missing apps in market also and some when i try to instal i keep getting a parseing error??
well...still new to this and trying to figure out the firmware my model has....i believe it is 2011.02.18 (WPDN), but trying to get a hold of Pandigital is like asking god to give me a ....well you get the point. I bought two of these for my kids and they love angery birds. I can get it to download but it freezes with a white background. and other appp say they have a parsing problem? any help would be awsome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts