Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the SetCPU App and try to configure a custom parameter file to boost up the speed of my EKEN. By now it didn't work : -(Has anyone else experiences with this tool, or know the working parameters to speed up the cpu?Sent from my generic using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
[quote name='codycoyote;51195]I just installed the SetCPU App and try to configure a custom parameter file to boost up the speed of my EKEN. By now it didn't work : -(Has anyone else experiences with this tool' date=' or know the working parameters to speed up the cpu?Sent from my generic using Tapatalk[/QUOTE'] SetCPU cannot overclock by it's self. You need a overclock kernel (there is not one for M003 yet)SetCPU can change how low the cpu speed is in idle mode.The lower this the better battery life is but slugish if you are not using it constantly. You can set profiles so min CPU is high when plugged in medium when battery is >50 and low when battery is low. The setcpu.txt file controls what the slider numbers are, you can make them higher than the kernal max cpu. You can make it look like you can set the max cpu to 2GHz but it won't do anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Every ROM I've tried (5 so far) SetCPU locks up my M003. Last 3 roms have been preRooTed, but still no joy in trying to lower cpu speed. I'd like to leave tablet on standby and not return to a dead battery. I also have Nokia 770 and N800 tablets and they go days on standby. Any other app or anyone get SetCPU to help Eken tablets standby power for longer that a few hours?This book MOD of mine makes holding tablet so much easier

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why don't you just buy a ipad dock for your eken.I found such thing for 3$ on ebay from china...just had to mod it a bit because the ipad plugin is 180 degrees invertedI ll post a picture tomorrowSent from my Slatedroid Mercury Beta M003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back to topic:I've also tried to get SetCPU running on various roms, but the app locks up as soon as it normally would try to ask for root permissions. Has anyone ver got it working? I've put the cpu frequency .txt from the wiki into the root of my sd card but it never seems to get this far, I guess it has something to do with root permission not being given correctly?Being able to lower CPU speeds for standby would be neat!

·
Registered
19 Posts
according to the lable on the CPU. the M003 is running a VIA WM8505 which is clocked down to 533Mhz, where is the M001 is running the same CPU clocked at 600Mhz. Your looking at a stable over clock of 67Mhz which if you think back to the days of old, that would be a lot. 11.17% might be a lot for this little thing... I will check to see what VIA rates the WM8505 at for max speed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
[quote name='canadian_laowai;56703]according to the lable on the CPU. the M003 is running a VIA WM8505 which is clocked down to 533Mhz' date=' where is the M001 is running the same CPU clocked at 600Mhz.[/QUOTE']Unfortunately those numbers are meaningless deceptive marketing from the sellers, who basically choose the highest number they can find vaguely associated with the device.People have previously guessed the clock speed is around 350Mhz, based on the very vague guess of 2x the BogoMIPS value (which is a ratio that apparently matches other ARM9s.)I just had a quick look in the kernel source released by VIA, and I think I see it set for clock speeds up to 333Mhz with the userspace governor allowed to scale the CPU clock speed between 133Mhz and 333Mhz. The WM8505 datasheet (p82 & p89) shows hardware support exists to push the CPU clock much higher than 333Mhz, although obviously there's no guarantee this will work at all.I don't understand why people are so obsessed with overclocking something that runs on batteries, anyhow. If you want breakneck performance, my advice is to spend some more money and buy a tablet that isn't based on the "budget" variant of a "classic" processor line (ARM926-EJS).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had an EeePC 4G 701 and it was running an underclocked celeron processor.. once i bumped it up, it worked so much better, my logic for the overclock was that if it was underclocked that resetting it back to stock would make it much better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
[quote name='btw lover;55363]Back to [URL=topic:I've]topic:I've[/URL] also tried to get SetCPU running on various roms' date=' but the app locks up as soon as it normally would try to ask for root permissions. Has anyone ver got it working? I've put the cpu frequency .txt from the wiki into the root of my sd card but it never seems to get this far, I guess it has something to do with root permission not being given correctly?Being able to lower CPU speeds for standby would be neat![/QUOTE'] Same here on my M001.

·
Registered
255 Posts
[quote name='canadian_laowai;56864]I had an EeePC 4G 701 and it was running an underclocked celeron processor.. once i bumped it up' date=' it worked so much better, my logic for the overclock was that if it was underclocked that resetting it back to stock would make it much better.[/QUOTE']I don't think the CPU is underclocked in the Ekens, 333Mhz seems about right for ARM926-EJS. Unlike the Celeron, I think there's no chance you're going to get a 30% improvement on that.That said, it looks like it should be fairly easy to build a kernel that supports higher clock speeds. I'll take a look if/when I have time, and post anything interesting that I find. My guess is maybe a marginal improvement in speed, coupled with a big increase in power consumption.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;57322]I don't think the CPU is underclocked in the Ekens' date=' 333Mhz seems about right for ARM926-EJS. Unlike the Celeron, I think there's no chance you're going to get a 30% improvement on that.That said, it looks like it should be fairly easy to build a kernel that supports higher clock speeds. I'll take a look if/when I have time, and post anything interesting that I find. My guess is maybe a marginal improvement in speed, coupled with a big increase in power consumption.[/QUOTE']And it's not the much higher power consumption which is bad. Much more bad would be a huge increase in CPU temperature which should be avoided if you didn't like to "burn" your your device.The M003 already get's quite hot. Mine is running nearly the whole day and I placed a small fan to blow air to the back of the device to keep it cooler. Doing that, the device is also working better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;57322]I don't think the CPU is underclocked in the Ekens' date=' 333Mhz seems about right for ARM926-EJS. Unlike the Celeron, I think there's no chance you're going to get a 30% improvement on that.That said, it looks like it should be fairly easy to build a kernel that supports higher clock speeds. I'll take a look if/when I have time, and post anything interesting that I find. My guess is maybe a marginal improvement in speed, coupled with a big increase in power consumption.[/QUOTE'] I'm more interesting in lowering the clock speed, since I often use my M001 as MP3 player and it'll be good if I can underclock the CPU to save some power for later.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some are interested in overclocking, and others to underclock.The solution that pleases both would be a kernel, giving some choice.A small passive heatsink on the cpu and some ventilation hole, for temperature problems.

·
Registered
255 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;56715]I just had a quick look in the [URL=http://github.com/projectgus/kernel_wm8505/blob/wm8505_2.6.29/arch/arm/mach-wmt/cpu-freq.c]kernel source released by VIA[/URL]' date=' and I think I see it set for clock speeds up to 333Mhz with the userspace governor allowed to scale the CPU clock speed between 133Mhz and 333Mhz. [/QUOTE'] Hmm... so it looks like I was half wrong. There's some support in the kernel source for CPU_FREQ (although userspace governor only, which means no automatic CPU scaling), but that support isn't compiled into the kernel at all. So it's not available on the tablets.I'm going to play around and see what happens when I enable it. However, I expect it may not work yet - that might be why it was disabled by VIA/WM.

·
Registered
255 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;57610]I'm going to play around and see what happens when I enable it. However' date=' I expect it may not work yet - that might be why it was disabled by VIA/WM.[/QUOTE'] Well, good news! It's been quite straightforward to build a kernel with variable clock speeds. On my M001 I can now adjust the factory 333Mhz up as high as 533Mhz (maximum PLL multiplier) without any problems. The benchmarks bear out the result. I've also dialed as low as a reported 66Mhz, which is molasses-slow.Before anyone gets too excited, the 533Mhz "CPU" benchmark scores seem to compare very closely with the results already posted from the v1.9.x firmwares. So it is possible someone at Wondermedia already tweaked the clock speed up to maximum when 1.9.x came out, so there's no extra performance to gain. This also (ironically) would make the "533Mhz" claims correct now, even though they were not correct a couple of months ago! Will investigate further.The other thing is I haven't measured power consumption, so we have no idea yet if overclocking is power-greedy or if underclocking is worthwhile. If it is, though, it should be very straightforward to support the 'ondemand' cpu governor allowing CPU throttling for idle periods (I don't have it working yet, but I think it should be just simple tweaks to make it work.)More to come when I get some more time to play around (will push source & release a kernel for people to play with, both ASAP.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
projectgus;57679]Well said:
results already posted[/url] from the v1.9.x firmwares. So it is possible someone at Wondermedia already tweaked the clock speed up to maximum when 1.9.x came out, so there's no extra performance to gain. This also (ironically) would make the "533Mhz" claims correct now, even though they were not correct a couple of months ago! Will investigate further.The other thing is I haven't measured power consumption, so we have no idea yet if overclocking is power-greedy or if underclocking is worthwhile. If it is, though, it should be very straightforward to support the 'ondemand' cpu governor allowing CPU throttling for idle periods (I don't have it working yet, but I think it should be just simple tweaks to make it work.)More to come when I get some more time to play around (will push source & release a kernel for people to play with, both ASAP.)
You are the best! I'm looking forward to play with the new kernel as soon as you release it

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Hello projectgus,could please give me a link to the kernel has 533Mhz for testing.I could help you if you need.Thank you

·
Registered
187 Posts
projectgus;57679]Well said:
results already posted[/url] from the v1.9.x firmwares. So it is possible someone at Wondermedia already tweaked the clock speed up to maximum when 1.9.x came out, so there's no extra performance to gain. This also (ironically) would make the "533Mhz" claims correct now, even though they were not correct a couple of months ago! Will investigate further.The other thing is I haven't measured power consumption, so we have no idea yet if overclocking is power-greedy or if underclocking is worthwhile. If it is, though, it should be very straightforward to support the 'ondemand' cpu governor allowing CPU throttling for idle periods (I don't have it working yet, but I think it should be just simple tweaks to make it work.)More to come when I get some more time to play around (will push source & release a kernel for people to play with, both ASAP.)
I've measured power consumption and its negligible. Video posted on Youtube and info for M003 power usage in M003 forum. I ran benchmarks and amperage indication on my multimeter barely moved during all 4 test of Benchmark by Soft-Weg. I have several post on the database of my M003 scores from 1.7.4 to 1.9.1 and not more that 5% range difference in performance. I believe its locked at a multiplier setting and your not actually getting extra performance, more of an electronic psuebo effect. Creating a near zero state for standby would be great. My 4 year old Nokia tablets can all go several days on standby and wake up instantly. So I'm confident our tablets are around the corner for REAL standby power conservation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.