Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I got my invite, just never persued it yet.. hope it doesnt expire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
App Inventor is working for me as well although I had to start adb manually to get the Blocks Editor to connect.Trying to run through the tutorials and the app is able to upload to the novel and run but the media files don't get transfered. I think it has something to do with the Novel being in USB Storage mode when connected to the computer. Anyone else have a problem with this? How can we disable USB Storage? The button in the notification area does not turn it off for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
mrFlakes;41568 said:
App Inventor is working for me as well although I had to start adb manually to get the Blocks Editor to connect.Trying to run through the tutorials and the app is able to upload to the novel and run but the media files don't get transfered. I think it has something to do with the Novel being in USB Storage mode when connected to the computer. Anyone else have a problem with this? How can we disable USB Storage? The button in the notification area does not turn it off for me.
Same issue here - turns out the PDN unmounts the /sdcard and /PD_Novel directories when you plug in the USB cable, and app inventor needs /sdcard to store media stuff on.I am currently messing around with an ADB shell command to re-mount them and if I am successful, I will post here. Sorry not to have responded earlier, but I just got invited yesterday.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, using the terminal app, I did the following:$ cat /proc/mountswhich returned:rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0proc /proc proc rw 0 0sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock5 /system yaffs2 ro 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock6 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702/allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0/dev/block//vold/179:9 /PD_Novel vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702/allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0Then I connected the PDN to my Windows machine and issued the following:adb shell cat /proc/mountswhich returned:rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0proc /proc proc rw 0 0sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock5 /system yaffs2 ro 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock6 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0so /sdcard and /PD_Novel are unmounted. Since the app inventor needs access to /sdcard, I decided to mount it. I first tried:adb shell mount -rw -t vfat /dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcardthen re-issued the adb shell cat /proc/mounts which returned:rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0proc /proc proc rw 0 0sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock5 /system yaffs2 ro 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0/dev/block/mtdblock6 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,errors=remount-ro 0 0It appears that, to get all the parameters set to the ones present on boot, you can skip some that get set correctly by default, but would need to issue:adb shell mount -w -t vfat -o dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702 /dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcardto override some defaults and/or set some others. For some reason, I get a segmentation fault with the above command, but can issue shorter variations of it with a shorter set of options after the -o.The questions I have (since I know virtually nothing about Linux) are:[list type=decimal][*]What is the error saying? If it means my command is too long (a suspicion I have only because I can specify shorter variations of it), is there a way to do a line/command continuation with adb from Windows and/or in the terminal app native to the PDN?[*]If the above is a wrong assumption about the error, what options of the ones originally set should be specified after the -o option of the mount to make the /sdcard safely available to the app inventor? [/LIST]I was able to use app inventor after various of the mounts I tried - up to a point - and get pictures and such across to the /sdcard/AppInventor/assets directory on the SD card, and pictures, at least, showed up in the app being created with the software on the PC. I couldn't ever get sounds to play, however, even though they were available and could be played with various apps on the PDN, so nothing was corrupted.Any help, thoughts, ideas, etc. are appreciated. I think the App Inventor seems to be a fairly interesting application. It would be fun to play with on the PDN for those of us whose knowledge of the languages and operating systems is not where it needs to be to do native apps for Android, or for those who have never programmed at all. Ever since I got the PDN, I had in the back of my mind that I would now have a platform to explore the use of this tool. And I may be able to, once I feel safe in knowing how (i.e., what options to use) to safely mount the /sdcard; but, without some breakthrough, it seems my apps won't have any sound (and likely some other media-related capabilities).

·
Registered
179 Posts
bump - anyone have any input on my (somewhat long - sorry!) request for info above? Can't believe someone out there doesn't know what the best options are to safely re-mount the SD card so that it can't get creamed somehow...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got App Inventor going today. I had to turn USB debugging on, then connect the PDN via USB. Next, I started a new project in App Inventor, and then fired up the Android Blocks editor. That, and I killed a couple of chickens. (Just kidding.)I got the kitty to meow (the first tutorial) and am playing around with some other stuff. I probably ought to run through another tutorial or two, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got App Inventor this week too, and also did the first tutorial last night.I got errors when trying to send pictures over in "live" development mode, but if I packaged the app it would work correctly.I think I skipped a couple setup steps. I'll review them now that the excitement has passed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would need to spend some time examining mount options for vfat, but for sure, "noexec" means the system will not allow files on that mount point (/sdcard) to be executed, and I suspect that would be a problem you have with putting any runtime files on that filesystem.HTH

·
Registered
180 Posts
tadroid;62547 said:
bump - anyone have any input on my (somewhat long - sorry!) request for info above? Can't believe someone out there doesn't know what the best options are to safely re-mount the SD card so that it can't get creamed somehow...
Just found this.I would need to spend some time examining mount options for vfat, but for sure, "noexec" means the system will not allow files on that mount point (/sdcard) to be executed, and I suspect that would be a problem you have with putting any runtime files on that filesystem.HTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
The folks that got it to work, could you tell me which firmware you're using? I still cant seem to get the pictures to or sounds to the novel.
When I started using app inventor, (i have the black QVC model)i immediately downloaded the open platform kit, and it works just as well with the app inventor, provided you know your novel well enough to create an emulator with the same properties. (sensors, battery support, etc.)
Sorry for talking so much, but i'm trying to tag this article for people looking for help with their QVC models. the answer to your question is to package the app and have it download to the computer, then just put it on the SD card, find it with a file browser of some sort, and install it. It has the files inside the package when you download it to your computer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.