Android Tablets Forum banner
141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mouto!
YOU ARE THE MAN!

your fix seems to work!

lost network location (or is it not working in this rom?)
and apps2sd but that no biggie, am thinking about enlarging /data

will test further and report later..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mouto!
YOU ARE THE MAN!

your fix seems to work!

lost network location (or is it not working in this rom?)
and apps2sd but that no biggie, am thinking about enlarging /data

will test further and report later..
Good to hear the fix works for you. Looks like I don't need to try your kernel then.

I tested network location worked fine in V2 rom but not sure about app2sd. The V2 rom has 512MB app space which I believe is enough for most users.

BTW, I look at your project page at google code and found you have great work there too. You are an android rom cooking expert. Do you mind if I take some files out from your roms?

A while ago I tried a version of quickboot for recovery mode but it did not work well with my tablet. I like to try your copy to see if it works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good to hear the fix works for you. Looks like I don't need to try your kernel then.

I tested network location worked fine in V2 rom but not sure about app2sd. The V2 rom has 512MB app space which I believe is enough for most users.

BTW, I look at your project page at google code and found you have great work there too. You are an android rom cooking expert. Do you mind if I take some files out from your roms?

A while ago I tried a version of quickboot for recovery mode but it did not work well with my tablet. I like to try your copy to see if it works.
haha.. thank you, i consider myself more a hobby chef than a cook

You are welcome to take files from my custom rom. In the boot.img you will find that i use a modified init.rk2828 file to include some extra scripts to run at boot time.
These scripts are all in the /system/bin directory (mounting /system/ r/w and changing the oomkiller of android so you don't need a taskkiller etc. )

i'm not sure as to why network location is not working anymore, maybe because i'm using a different kernel now?
What files/classes did you change in framework for the dummy gps?
I want to try and swap those with classes from a froyo rom for the BK Verne that had working networklocation with the yarvik kernel, but was missing hostmode en accounts&synchronisation in settings.

I think i can live with the google site crashing if network location is working in maps en other tools.

one more question, you sayd i had to recompile all jars after modifying the framework. Is removeing the dalvik-cache after replacing the framework not enough? (i flash a new image with the modified framework, without touching other jars, and it seems to work. Have some stability issues though with apps not responding and semi reboots, gui shutting down, and back to android logo etc...and i'm not sure if this has to do with the yarvik kernel or the modified framework)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'm not sure as to why network location is not working anymore, maybe because i'm using a different kernel now?
What files/classes did you change in framework for the dummy gps?
I want to try and swap those with classes from a froyo rom for the BK Verne that had working networklocation with the yarvik kernel, but was missing hostmode en accounts&synchronisation in settings.

I think i can live with the google site crashing if network location is working in maps en other tools.

one more question, you sayd i had to recompile all jars after modifying the framework. Is removeing the dalvik-cache after replacing the framework not enough? (i flash a new image with the modified framework, without touching other jars, and it seems to work. Have some stability issues though with apps not responding and semi reboots, gui shutting down, and back to android logo etc...and i'm not sure if this has to do with the yarvik kernel or the modified framework)
Yes. If you modify any jars under system/framework/ using baksmali/smali, in most cases you need to baksmail/smali most framework jars and sometims system apps. Otherwise you may see all kinds of app issues from "adb logcat". And the rom will lose some functionality and will NOT be fully workable and stable.

Think of baksmali/smali is a reverse engineering of dalvik opcode and the rebuilt jar/app will not be exactly the same as original. And smali a is tool which also has bugs even though it's very usful and stable. Also think of jar/app dependencies just like when you recompile a java source, some code changes in that java may requires recompile other java files that depend on it.

Take a look at http://code.google.com/p/smali/issues/detail?id=14&can=1&q=bootclasspath

Before I realized the above, believe me I went through a lot of issues after modified a framework jar. Now I completely worked it out.

The V2 rom has USB host mode and netwlrk location working well. Your issue might be because of recompiling framework.jar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi ny-hardcore, I tried moving movable apps to SD card of V2 rom and confirmed it does work well too. Yours is not working must be either the kernel or recompiling only the framework.jar.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you want a Voice Search function working on your RK2818 tablet, here it is:

http://www.filesonic...eSearchRK28.apk

I made a fix in the app by setting correct sample rate supported by RK2818 tablets. But I only tested it with the V2 rom I uploaded and it works great. Hope you have fun with the voice search on your tablet.
Thanks Mouto, I tested the voice search function in my I-Joy Spirit Froyo ROM and it works OK!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey mouto, i wanna ask you about the android market app. I tried following the intructions (erasing the market app cache and the google services framework data) to make all the apps available (because there was a new version of the zeam launcher and i couldn't find it in the market). However i have less apps available now
How can i fix it with out flashing the rom again?
pd: i tried the voice search app and works greats. thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey mouto, i wanna ask you about the android market app. I tried following the intructions (erasing the market app cache and the google services framework data) to make all the apps available (because there was a new version of the zeam launcher and i couldn't find it in the market). However i have less apps available now
How can i fix it with out flashing the rom again?
pd: i tried the voice search app and works greats. thanks!
Maybe try to clear the cache and data of both market and framework services and sign in market again. Or after installing some new apps or wait for some more time it may come back to normal. Or enable auto-sync of google account for a while to get app state refreshed. But I am not quite sure.

Actually before making V2, I had tried many fingerprints of different froyo devices with the tricks you did, none of them worked. And I picked the best one for V2. Looks like google changed the rules of filtering/showing apps for different android devices. Most RK2818 devices are not google-certified.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it common that twitter and facebook apps don't wokr properly? they keep forcing close without reason... I tried to uninstall and reinstall again but it's the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
ditto to ishimura's request please mouto. it seems like since megadownloads legal problems these other file sharing sites are restricting access. It should be fine if your ROM was on a google.code site - especially as it is open source software development of google's os. I have a cnm touchpad II which is same chipset as the A710, and would like to try out your updated ROM. my wife has a viewsonic viewpad which has the same chipset but more ram, sensors and camera, and that works much quicker with android 2.2 than the 2.1 on my device.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ditto to ishimura's request please mouto. it seems like since megadownloads legal problems these other file sharing sites are restricting access. It should be fine if your ROM was on a google.code site - especially as it is open source software development of google's os. I have a cnm touchpad II which is same chipset as the A710, and would like to try out your updated ROM. my wife has a viewsonic viewpad which has the same chipset but more ram, sensors and camera, and that works much quicker with android 2.2 than the 2.1 on my device.
I am travelling and do not have the file with me. I can upload again two or three weeks later if you can wait.

·
Registered
45 Posts
no problems. I'm looking forward to getting kindle app working better (it behaves on 2.2 but not on 2.1)
thanks in anticipation :)
Too bad the Kindle app will not work on RK2818 Froyo rom. It's a known issue as it simply crashes at startup. I tried with no luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I uploaded again the custom V3 ROM for APad710 like RK2818 tablet with trackball. You can find it from the following link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tsemhq

Please look at the descriptions of V2 rom I posted on page 7 of this topic. The major change made in V3 is I replaced Zeam Launcher with LauncherPro free version due to Zeam Luancher was not quite stable when there are too many pages and icons. It stuck in force-close loop on my tablet.

I did a quick test on the V3 rom before uploaded so it should be safe to use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks. I'm downloading it now. my wife's rk2818 device was working with kindle (until last night when it ran out of space for apps) so I'm still optimistic. I'll post up results. Is it easy to modify the space on the partition used by apps, as my device has 4gb internal flash, and I always seem to run out of space for the apps? I store any user files on the sd card, so internal memory should be hardly used at all. (or should I post this in a new thread - it still concerns your custom rom)

·
Registered
45 Posts
thanks. I'm downloading it now. my wife's rk2818 device was working with kindle (until last night when it ran out of space for apps) so I'm still optimistic. I'll post up results. Is it easy to modify the space on the partition used by apps, as my device has 4gb internal flash, and I always seem to run out of space for the apps? I store any user files on the sd card, so internal memory should be hardly used at all. (or should I post this in a new thread - it still concerns your custom rom)
All RK2818 tablets' default app space is 256MB. But the rom I made already has 512MB app space and it also supports move app to SD card. Go to Settings => Applications => Manage Application and view each app then you can move it to SD card if that button is enabled. This way 512MB should be sufficient. Otherwise changing app partition size requires remake the rom but it's easy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd like to share my experiences of running GO Launcher EX + Neon Blue Them + Desk Migrate on my V3 rom. They are all free apps and are so cool.

The V3 rom has Launcher Pro as default but after using for a while I found it also too slow same as Zeam Launcher when switching from any app to home screen or changing screen orientation. And it's not stable either where I got force-close couple times. This is because my RK2818 tablet only has only 256MB system RAM (normally only 100MB left for apps) and I have 120+ apps in 6 home screens. The RAM mostly not enough for running too many apps at the same time or for Launcher to handle too many home screens and icons.

So I installed GO Launcher EX, Neo Blue Theme and Desk Migrate from market. I ran Desk Migrate to copy all my home screens and icons from Launcher Pro to GO Launcher EX, it worked nicely. Overall the GO Launcher EX seems much faster than LauncherPro and Zeam Launcher in my case of having 120+ apps in 6 home screens. Switching from running app to home screen and changing rotation also runs faster. So for so good.

The Go Launcher EX also has an option of preventing from force-close when system in low memory which is good if it really works. But so far it runs stable than the other two launchers I used. I will post again if I found issues. You can give it a try if you like.

One note: change the screen transition from Default to anything else. The Default transition messed up screen.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts