Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Apad iRobot is now its third major hardware revision, batch 3, typically most easily identified by a blue colored charging LED for the time being. . The new motherboard Apad iRobots are now shipping to distributors, as quality has stabilized. (There is a red LED variant of the new motherboard as well, but they in fact do not come from our factory. We will not support that product here.)Other than improvements made to the mainboard itself, there are the following differences:new mainboard uses 9V charger input, and the previous batches have used 5Vall new plastic shell Apad iRobots are now equipped with the new motherboard.differences in the functionality of the USB ports. The USB port close to the microSD slot is now used for connecting to the computer. The USB port located close to the 3.5mm headset jack remains to be the USB hosting port. It also means that the functionality as been separated.

·
Registered
954 Posts
'allows' for 2 batteries. cnpad actually didn't copy paste for once and did an article on this: aPad iRobot gets new board MD01-V6.0 ? cnPad.info ? aPad iRobot MoonseBattery life is better. It performs better. It has better power filtering. Overall more reliable. Shipping firmware still a piece of crapI can bet that Miss Wang on Aliexpress has some, but you have to ask her which listing it is. She's someone who I think is getting her batches directly from the factory. JTShop can get some if you ask for them, and I think he's supplied by the Hiapad related factory as well. Merimobiles has purchased from Moonse in the past, but has claimed that they had bought from Utopia at one point. Who knows from where they are getting their stuff now. TabletstoreUK seems to have the new batch 3s. Key is ASK. I only maintain contact with chip3c, who has ties with hiapad and Utopia Shenzhen. At the end of the day, he only takes care of what's coming out of his own factory. It's a mess out there. If you look for the Apad tablet in Alibaba China wholesale listings, there are probably over 50 listings of wholesale distributors from 500-700RMB. It must be a pretty easy device to clone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered 2 days ago, they're 9V version 3 2GB (with alloy case and camera...the first plastic v3 didn't have camera according to manufacturer..and no I don't buy from aliexpress, I sourced direct) with split batteries and they're with EMS on their way to Australia as we speak. Expect them to arrive early next week (Mon/Wednesday). PM me if you want one and we can organise secure transaction. Also ordered 2 spare 9v power supplies and have 10 5v power supplies as spares to old model if anyone in Aus/Sydney needs em. Rumour from manufacturer was they support WCDMA...now I wouldn't believe this until it's tested...it's only a rumour. I'm curious to see if any driver changes on it's firmware if it's different at all.P.S I'm really sorry to all here if you think this is SPAM. I'm only trying to help as somebody asked.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not sure. They always said that 3G worked but I played with revision 2 for some time. I modified the apns-conf.xml in the 0530 and 0611 firmwares from hiapad (installed them) and managed to get it to recognise my carrier correctly from the rockchips network app. i.e it listed my network provider (three) in the APN list. It got a signal on the modem (top icon showed signal) so it would seem the driver was working/talking to 3G modem, however it could never dial out...would just time out after a while. The funny thing was that even though I modified the apns-conf.xml etc it would list chinatelecom in menu lock which made me think somehow that was hardcoded in the firmwares somewhere even though I could never find where. I then was told WCDMA was not supported in v2 apad, which I couldn't work out how because to me I would have thought the protocol used by the modem wouldn't matter, I would have thought you just needed a driver to talk to the 3G modem. I'm not that experienced in that area (re: modems) so I gave up getting it to work/just put it down to missing driver or other. I've been meaning to do some reading on how LINUX provided the 3G support so I could then work out how to fix the firmware but again I kinda gave up in the end. My knowledge of UNIX is very good but the dialup side of things I've not done much so couldn't work it out...yet. Any information to point me in the right direction is always appreciated. So you think it was just the way the wired in the USB ports on the apad v2?...or lack of..that was stopping the WCDMA from working?I would have thought if this was the case I would have been able to talk to the modem from android i.e see a signal from rockchips network manager, and also wouldn't have allowed the chinese users to connect with their modems to non WCDMA networks?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I actually don't know too much either.But if you or someone can convince them that this is an important feature, they will show you guys how to do it. As far as I know, they sell the 3G modems with the Apad as a package with a data plan. I don't use this myself, so I wasn't too keen on asking.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can bet that Miss Wang on Aliexpress has some, but you have to ask her which listing it is. She's someone who I think is getting her batches directly from the factory. JTShop can get some if you ask for them, and I think he's supplied by the Hiapad related factory as well. Merimobiles has purchased from Moonse in the past, but has claimed that they had bought from Utopia at one point. Who knows from where they are getting their stuff now. TabletstoreUK seems to have the new batch 3s.
Why not take from HOD? They have them in stock.HOUSEofDAP @ HOD - Better for Less169$ with shipping+bonus:* Protective case* Super Bass In-earphones* 7-inch Screen Protector

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, I appreciate you responding just the same. I've been using the adhoc WIFI and my 3G phone quite well and haven't really had the need myself but it would be nice as I have a 3G modem sitting around doing nothing most of the time and it's annoying to switch the wpa file around each time it gets overwritten when I connect to normal WIFI networks. I will wait with anticipation for these v3 ones which may provide the clue I've been looking for.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well does rogerbraun's work?List your batch 3 working firmware version in the about screen and PM me if you don't want to waitHouseofdap RUNS cnpad.infoI do not know what they got, so I can't vouch for them just yet. At one point they received shipment from Moonse. By now I have no idea who they are getting it from. Miss Wang for sure, even though her listings are a mess

·
Registered
42 Posts
whats all this about. a few months ago a blue led apad rose from nowhere. then hiapad said they didnt make them. now they are releasing batch 3 that uses blue led. whats going on? is someone moving ahead of hiapad? whats the major difference between thw blue led apads to the new apads?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The colour of the LED no longer means anything since 'they' seem to be using whatever stock of LEDs they can get. The main known differences in batch 3 are listed in the first post of this thread.

·
Registered
137 Posts
3g lol it never worked on my apad so i just have a USB router with 4 hour batter life with continuous wifi about 1/2 the side of apad as you will have a bag or some thing to carry around your apad why not just keep the router with you and forget about the whole thing as i can use EVDO ,CDMA, WCDMA or any other modem and not stuck with one provider just cause there stick work with it 2ns i can connect multiple devices to my router its worth it since battery life of the pad will never be over 4 hours

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received one of these version 3 units through androidtablets.ca, it's the plastic case version and was $150 CAD. So far it's been working fairly well, takes a little to get used to since I'm used to 2.2 on my nexus. It's my first experience with Android os on a tablet and I've been very impressed for the cost. Battery life has far exceeded my expectations, I've been able to get through a day on a charge with moderate use. With wifi on constantly, I roughly did about an hour web surfing, 45 mins of video playback and 4 hours of ebook reading, and still had around 40% battery life. Overall things could be a little more responsive with the tablet and games don't come close to displaying properly. Hoping for a custom rom in the future to fix some of these issues, I did read on HiApad about a possible update coming out for these models... who knows.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.