Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,I am thinking of buying an apad to mainly using for reading epubs with a program called Aldiko.I would really appreciate help1) The item in this link - I think is the rockchip - can someone given me their best guess please?http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-HD-LCD-Wi-Fi-Web-Camera-3-5G-USB-Google-Android-APAD-/250637597680?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3a5b2a3bf02) Off all the posts Ive read, it seems the rockchip unit is the most responsive - Has anyone used Aldiko, read books on it - What is the experience like?thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=postbus31 link=topic=318.msg2715#msg2715 date=1275037686]Aldiko works just fine on my iWeb APad
[/quote]Thanks m8 - does your iweb ipad looks the same as the link i forwarded?Can you tell me battery life - 2/3 hours?ThanksReply MUCH appreciated

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=postbus31 link=topic=318.msg2720#msg2720 date=1275038483]Yep, appears to look the same.Mine is a iWeb APad with a silver backside btw. No YouTube although, but you can grab te YouTube.apk anywhere from the web.Battery-life with WiFi on is very poor. Three hours at the most. No problem for me though, just charge it every night.[/quote]Not really interested in wifi ... just want it as a reader ... will I get much more time your rekon?Also - scrolling through the menus is it laggy or responsive - many thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Battery-life can double if you don't use WiFi, so five hours could be possible. Mind you, battery gets better after fully charging it a couple of times. Say 4 to 5 times let de battery drain completely and then charge it overnight. The charger is not the best part in the box. To get the APad fully charged i have to switch it off while charging. Otherwise it won't go over 90%Aldiko on the APad is very responsive. Mine has no lag at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for your replies I really appreciate it because there are so many things named apad :)One very last question - General browsing around, is that also reponsive on your unit or a bit laggy?Thanks again!I promise this is the last question!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
For internet-browsing i use SkyFire, yoy can find it for free in the Android Market. The standard browser doe force close a lot. Browsing is reasonable. Mobie sites work just fine, complete website can be a bit slow though. Mind you, performance depends on the speed of your WiFi network.btw: never mind all the questions, thats what a community is there for

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=postbus31 link=topic=318.msg2726#msg2726 date=1275039594]For internet-browsing i use SkyFire, yoy can find it for free in the Android Market. The standard browser doe force close a lot. Browsing is reasonable. Mobie sites work just fine, complete website can be a bit slow though. Mind you, performance depends on the speed of your WiFi network.btw: never mind all the questions, thats what a community is there for
[/quote]thanks .. sorry I did not state my question well! By browing I meant using the GUI, ie opening and closing apps scrolling through apps etc (although its darn nice to know about the browser!!Would you say the unit is quite responsive in navigating - the m001 gets a lot of negative attention in this respect!thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Menu's are opening quite fast. In general my Apad is fast enough for me. I'm also using an Apple iPhone 3GS and Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android phone. As you can imagine, they are a lot faster. All things considering: with it's low pricetag the APad is performing just fine. If you want a real fast tablet, buy an Apple iPad or Archos. If you want a real e-reader buy the kindle or nook.The APad is a bit of both, but not excellent on both points.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I could not get Aldiko Premium (which I bought on my Hero) via the Market app on the aPad. So now I use FBReader, which works as well, if not better than Aldiko (layout of book seems to be preserved).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks GuysCurrently I read on my itouch but obviously the screen is small. I previouly had a proper reader(prs-505) but i find i like the backlit screen on the itouch (just that the screensize is small) hence me looking at the apadgevrik, whats your battery life when reading (around 5hours without wifi?) EDIT Just saw your thread! ThanksThanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
[quote author=RottenApple link=topic=318.msg2714#msg2714 date=1275036719]The item in this link - I think is the rockchip.......[/quote]spec suggests rockchip. often these devices end up not having the apple style home button and just a plain one, hey ho.posted a video of adilko. runs very nicely. see it here. Aldiko eBook Reader on 7" Android Tablet1 thought from that link is the suggestion of 3G with a dongle - this would only work if android had the driver. the manufacturers generally want purchase quantities of 1k to do the work i heard. but if anyone knows better you can gladly enlighten me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts