Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, sweeeeeeet! Thank you! Is this 3Mbps kinda stable? You know, like in: stable "g" might outperform wildly fluctuating, dropping packets "n" connection. Also, is it really bigger "many bars" distance compared to "g"?OK, time to throw away my crappy Linksys wrt54g. What is your router's make and model?Thank you

·
Registered
366 Posts
[quote name='aludal;40611]Cisco router I consider an overkill for this silly toy PDN.I'm looking for something "N"' date=' Gigabit LAN, dd-wrt-able for below $60[/QUOTE']Just spotted a few at Newegg:Newegg.com - Linksys WRT160N 802.11b/g/n Wireless Broadband Router up to 300Mbps/ 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Port x4It's $40 with $10 off coupon (code EMCYWZX46, Linksys Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Router), but no gigabit ethernet.Also: Newegg.com - BUFFALO WHR-HP-G300N 802.11b/g/n Nfiniti Wireless-N High Power Router up to 300Mbps/ DD-WRT Open Source support$47 with $10 off (EMCYWZV29, Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N Nfiniti Router & Access Point)Only 11n router with gigabit I spotted near $60 was this one at $67:Newegg.com - Linksys E2000 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Selectable Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router up to 300MbpsCoupon = EMCYWZV28, Linksys E2000 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless N Router.I'm personally using a Rosewill RNX-EasyN4. Cheap little guy, think I picked it up for $30 or $40. Even streams HD video pretty well.-Matt

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a Dlink dual band gigabit router that SEEMS to be on clearance at BB for $75. Order it online and then pick-up in store. Make sure you check online that the price has been adjusted, because it should initially ring up at $149.00, and then your account will be credited the difference. This is a pretty big YMMV, but if you can get a router of this caliber for this price, you will be a seriously happy camper.Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
[quote name='tadroid;23541]... Also' date=' just because I found no actual verification of this elsewhere, I tested that the Novel is indeed 802.11n capable by setting my home network to n-only mode and seeing if it still found and connected to the network - and it did. The software for the wireless seems to have a glitch in the display of the network speed it displays, though - mine says I am getting 3416576Mbps right now, which is what, 3.4 trillion bps? Not sure what it really is, but to find out what it thinks and some other basic info, on the network settings screen, tap the name of network you are connected to in the list of Wi-fi networks found, and a pop-up screen comes up....[/QUOTE']So yes, as other have verified, it works fine. Incidentally, even with all the intervening firmware updates, Pandigital has still never fixed the speed of connection info as described above. Under the 8-06 version I am using, it says my connection speed is 1262336Mbps - I wish!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeez! A real avalanche of help, thank you! Wish I could get any on my PDN readability project (http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...ject-better-pandigital-novel-readability.html). Oh well....However, my biggest priority would be to get PC flasher for every next FW mod, as my PDN systematically loses my SD on boot --> FW flashing routine hangs PDN dead. Somebody recommended to dissasemble (unzip) 7-18 Pandigital stock .exe, and replace FW inside. Any thoughts about it, too?As for N gigabit router, my favorite dd-wrt-able would be Buffalo (once items of only gray export from Japan, not much known even now; a stable workhorse I had 3.5 years of uninterrupted service with. I kinda squirm of Linksys, all of "gaming" brand of routers are kinda suspicious taking into account the peculiarities of WiFi connect-reconnect with our silly toy PDN.tabroid, please, I asked in the beginning that any recommendation better to be followed by make and model of a router... Yours with 3.4 gazillion bps is obviously a champ of bursts, so what is it? I will throw my Buffalo away the same second I can lay my hands on such a beast....Just kidding. VPN should work out of the box w/out hassle, ad hoc, torrents never throttling (sofisticated QoS), plus a good range, to never downgrade to b/g in one's basement, garage, farthes corner of a backyard, etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
aludal, sorry I missed your post re: my amazing router speeds ;) Anyway, I have a Belkin N+ router, and it seems a worthy upgrade to its predecessor, a Belkin G router that worked for me reliably for several years. It was pretty affordable - seem to remember I paid ~$60 for it at Fry's on sale?Slightly off-topic, something I find really ironic re: the PDN so wildly misreporting the connection speed is that even on the same home network, in comparison with Windows 802.11n devices I have, the PDN really stinks in a speed comparison test. I have a 20 Mbps link to my house that usually tests at ~21 Mbps with my Windows machines, but no matter the result, when I run tests on Windows and then immediately on my PDN, at best I get about 25% of whatever Windows gets - what's up with that?Is the wireless implementation for the PDN really that bad? I know there is flakiness to the reliability of the connection it delivers, but based on my tests, the implementation also suffers w.r.t. the speediness it manages. :mad:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for response, tabroid. Wish I find me a colleague in my crusade for better PDN readability (Win7 Phone serif is needed, at this particular moment.)I went out and bought me a cheapo, non-QoS, non-double band, b/g/n "300 Mbit" TRENDnet TEW-639GR for $58 at local Fry's. Cuts my connection in the presence of heavy torrenting at will, once or twice a day, doesn't hold the correct ("network") time (just like PDN -- with so much syncing with the GOOG -- never time syncing, so a PDN disconnect once every 24 hours could be easily explained by different network time of one client in my "network").Testing "N only" today, will be trying a "static" routing table next week. Need to save money, as my next tablet will be 10" Tegra 2 with resistive screen this November/December (I hate lack of precision and smearing skin oil on capacitive screens).As for what bandwidth/throughput our PDN is capable of, I will repeat myself: I yet to see any clean portion of PDN code that works as advertised. However, this time it might be quite tweakable in TCP/IP stack implementation of PDN, as IMHO, the piss poor throughput might be caused by wrong RWIN, ACK packets, limiting number of half-open connections, etc., etc. One indication of that is exactly the culprit is systematic stoppage of my xScope at around 80...80 per cent of any page loading. The crippled PDN's TCP/IP stack takes its time to clear its buffers, then, with a 3....10...15 sec delay continues and finishes loading the page.

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote name='aludal;50448]Thank you for response' date=' tabroid. Wish I find me a colleague in my crusade for better PDN readability (Win7 Phone serif is needed, at this particular moment.)I went out and bought me a cheapo, non-QoS, non-double band, b/g/n "300 Mbit" TRENDnet TEW-639GR for $58 at local Fry's. Cuts my connection in the presence of heavy torrenting at will, once or twice a day, doesn't hold the correct ("network") time (just like PDN -- with so much syncing with the GOOG -- never time syncing, so a PDN disconnect once every 24 hours could be easily explained by different network time of one client in my "network").Testing "N only" today, will be trying a "static" routing table next week. Need to save money, as my next tablet will be 10" Tegra 2 with resistive screen this November/December (I hate lack of precision and smearing skin oil on capacitive screens).As for what bandwidth/throughput our PDN is capable of, I will repeat myself: I yet to see any clean portion of PDN code that works as advertised. However, this time it might be quite tweakable in TCP/IP stack implementation of PDN, as IMHO, the piss poor throughput might be caused by wrong RWIN, ACK packets, limiting number of half-open connections, etc., etc. One indication of that is exactly the culprit is systematic stoppage of my xScope at around 80...80 per cent of any page loading. The crippled PDN's TCP/IP stack takes its time to clear its buffers, then, with a 3....10...15 sec delay continues and finishes loading the page.[/QUOTE'] I think you might be on to something there because sometimes I get great speeds then other times really crappy ones. It has to do with throughput on the PDN I believe too.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I should have checked this thread, first -- my wireless just got fried in a power surge (it was a cheapo refurb, so you get what you pay for + stupidity on my part). I ended up buying the Linksys in the above post, but the Buffalo probably would have been good, also.Glad to hear that the PDN will work fairly well, on an N router.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
WiFi Analyzer Android App shown with Flytouch
D-Link DIR-655 A3 with 1.11 firmware. I've put this back in service because using the 3x TP-LINK 5dBi SMA ANT has yield 90 to 100% signal after using a Russian firmware to downgrade from 1.32NA it back to 1.11
Prior to this is the EnGenius ESR-9850 this one yields about the same as above but it doesn't stay steady at 90 to 100% it drops to 88%.
Product testing Trendnet TEW-691GR the 3x 4dBi are fixed (can't be changed) N450
All the above are 802.11b,g,n I use all 3 in mix g/n mode @ 20/40MHz WPA2 AES

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Network Map I made using Cisco Packet Tracer using Live Simulated Network
Note this above is not up to date showing recent tablets or routers or apns changes.I try to keep everything isolated to get the best throughput performance. It does work! 802.11n works better in mix mode. If you have issues in 802.11n only try the mix mode.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Also have this to product test Trendnet TEW-673GRU this is just like the Netgear WNDR3700 the difference is the ANT 2x vs 8x
Now when it comes to 802.11n they're not all the same in routers. TX Amp is always lower in dBm. 20 to 23dBm (considered high power)Most of the home SOHO routers are 14dBm to 16dBm for 802.11n.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I really like the DIR 655. Dirt cheap and fully capable. Including networkable storage and ridiculous range.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.