Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
yes, i run the normal wince6 on the A81E(W1060), the "ugly" screen is the extra UI that you can load on it. The firmware can be downloaded from Wits website, the wirelession site. I really like it (having a W1060 and A81E is a bonus), the wince without the "extra UI" looks like a win xp desktop

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, that's good to know the extra UI is optional.Can you speak to some other things such as Windows application compatibility, filesharing with other Windows machines, etc? For instance can I install Chrome and Flash like on my desktop PC?Thanks for any info you can provide, it's much appreciated!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, that's unfortunate. I expected at least some cross-compatibility. Does anyone know of a good resource for finding Windows CE applications? A quick Google search gives fragmented results :sI'd love to hear about battery life comparisons between WinCE and Android if anyone has the time!Thanks for all the info mingnon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
When i first started i flashed Wince from android 2.1. Ever since i up-dated with 2.2 i have been having problem flashing back to Wince. I used same files as i did before, i don't know wtf is going on. I was hoping to update to WIN7CE to try out. Any ideas anyone....

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
cant dual boot it, have to install each op system one at a time, supposedly there is a "fix" in the works but i'm not holding my breath.Cant answer if theres way to change cab, looked at it once but couldnt get my head around it

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
slow? sounds wierd, browsing the web is slow, i think is the web browser, but otherwise i find it a lot faster for some tasks eg typing up word docs etc. Also noticed that vids played in wince that stuttered and stumbled in android, think it must be the player thats used.is good that the reflash worked, formatting the card appers to do the trick most times.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
i havent timed it, but for me the W1060 with wince dont seem to needing charging as often as the A81E with android. If i remember i'll try and set a clock for the wince one to see how long

·
Registered
1 Posts
just received my wits a81e 14-09-2010 and am really happy running ce, not sure if i will flash to android 2.2 as the gps software igo and primo is far better than what i was using 'tomtom'i am not sure if hanson homecab comes with the wince rom but is a good shell and wolfplus_v4.1c is a good gps games ect front endjohn

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trying this out now. Latest version here doesn't work, just boots to the logo and stays there after flashing. Other forum members report the same thing.The prior version here flashes ok, but when booting just suddenly turns itself off (even when plugged in).In the meantime, I've come across this UI alternative for WinCE which looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Windows CE. I tried it out and couldn't get Google Maps going. Also there is a dirth of good browsers which support Windows CE. The best that actually works is Skyfire 1.5, which can be found by googling "Skyfire windows CE." If you have some specific applications you want to run Windows CE remains an option but for the curious I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, WinCE was good for playing videos since Android still can't do it properly (except at 1gHz which my device can't handle). Android does pretty much everything else better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.