Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down to considering one of these two, and give slight preference to the PDN as it appears that it will be better supported and is about $40 cheaper overall than a local iRobot supplier that I found(specs match iRobot). Either way the upshot is that I can get both in the US(i.e. quick delivery and cheaper return if necessary).So, is there any real reason to go with an iRobot over a PDN other than ??? better perf on the iRobot, but not updates?(I want a cheaper tablet to tinker with a bit, and give time to Cortex A8 prices to settle before I get one if I like the PDN or iRobot enough. I had been trying to get an Eken M001(remember this is just trying out tablets for little $$$ ATM) but the prices keep getting driven up so high that I might just as well pay a few more $$$ for something that I can get locally and have a "better" tablet overall AFAICT.)

G

·
Hello, I purchased a Pandigital from Bed Bath & Beyond.. My main interest in it was surfing wifi around the home and to read PDF documents... Unfortunately the PDF reader had no native zoom feature, only for that reason did I return it to the store...I have 40 something eyes.. and needed to have zoom..As for the device its self... It was very well built I would have kept it if it weren't for the zoom thing..I bought the Irobot apad from someone on Craigslist.. while not as well built as he Pandigital, in my opinion.. it seems to me to be much faster and also is much more versatile because it is a full fledged computer and not focused on being an E reader more like the Pandigital... oh yah.. because of the Android store on the apad I was able to find a PDF reader with zoom!!!.. so in my opinion the apad is much more useful.. Oh and don't forget.. hack ability is always a plus in my book.. and the apad already has a cult following... I have already flashed mine a few times to check out the modded firmware that is already out there.. Bottom line.. looking for mainly an E book (Pandigital) looking for a fun hackable all around "toy" ( Irobot apad ) again, that is only my opinion..P.S. if you go for the Irobot apad.. make sure you get the one with the Rock processor, and ask if the charging light is red.. if they say blue...don't buy..that one is gen 1..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on customizing the PDN as much as possible anyways IF I got it. Mostly plan for email(and short immediate resp to email) and light web browsing. Maybe ebook reading after dark and a few other things, so PDF magnification isn't a problem for me ATM, and I could probably wait to get back to my nb or a desktop to read those if necessary.So many new(and newish and old w/new features(OS)) coming out is making me a bit careful about jumping on anything too soon, or spending $$$ of lesser tablets when I might move on sooner than planned given that the flatpad looks nice, is in US, and has 1y warranty. Moonse has an interesting sounding Telechips based tablet coming out, and the Android 2.1 videos for the Wist looked nice, but not entirely convincing ATM(this one needs to cook a little longer until I can see what/IF they do anything with 2.2).I think that I've really decided against a Rockchip at this point with all the new tablets coming and looking to crowd that pricerange even more, especially given that it's more expensive than a PDN given purchasing from a "reliable" source(was thinking mp4nation, but now since I'm likely to drop Rockchip from consideration...) I must also admit to being a bit leery of being stuck at Android 1.5, given that PDN is already 2.0x and IIRC someone got 2.1 on it plus another 2.2. (Might be getting mixed up w/something else as I've read tons of messages over the last week or so on most of these devices and it's all starting to blur together.)Anyways, time to ponder this a bit longer I think, as I'd hate spending $120 on PDN then turn around and spend $275 on a flatpad a month or so later... ...and on the third hand given the crazy ebay auctions I MIGHT even be able to profit! hmmm....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.