Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unfortunately end up going into recovery quite regularly :)The process of hoping that the PDN sees the SD card is pretty much turning into mystical rituals. Formatting has worked for me a few times, but now it won't even recognize the SD card after a reformat. I know the zip file I'm using is not the issue since it works immediately when I place it on the internal storage. Has anyone found a surefire way of getting the PDN to see the SD card every time?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I could be mistaken but I think i put my first firmware flash on the external card then powered on with the vol/power combination. On the other hand I have to remount my external card after every boot- the notification says, "Remove SD card. SD card removed. Insert a new one."

·
Registered
784 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;27340]I unfortunately end up going into recovery quite regularly :)The process of hoping that the PDN sees the SD card is pretty much turning into mystical rituals. Formatting has worked for me a few times' date=' but now it won't even recognize the SD card after a reformat. I know the zip file I'm using is not the issue since it works immediately when I place it on the internal storage. Has anyone found a surefire way of getting the PDN to see the SD card every time?[/QUOTE'] Yikes, I have never had a problem with the PDN not seeing the SD card. Not on power-up, not on reboot, and not after removal/re-insertion when powered on. Is the card seating properly? Are the contacts clean?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='geebekazoo;27367]Yikes' date=' I have never had a problem with the PDN not seeing the SD card. Not on power-up, not on reboot, and not after removal/re-insertion when powered on. Is the card seating properly? Are the contacts clean?[/QUOTE'] Yes, because the SD is seen fine once it boots. (Well, I have to eject and reinsert, but that seems to be a known problem. Also, I've reformatted while it was in the PDN, moved the file over, rebooted into recovery, and it couldn't see the card.I think it's just finicky in some way about how it initializes.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
geebekazoo;27412 said:
By "rebooting into recovery" am I correct in presuming that you mean simultaneously holding the vol-up and power-on buttions?
Yes, that's what I meant.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine sees the SD card after every reboot, but it takes minutes to initialize the SD card. 3-4 minutes to be precise. I'd love to get that time WAY down.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
geebekazoo;27461 said:
Perhaps the SD is on its way out. Do you have another SD Card that you could try?
Perhaps, but other people have had similar issues while upgrading firmware, so I tend to think it isn't just the card.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What about the possibility of it being a QC issue with cold solder joints where the SD card reader slot is soldered onto the mobo? Because you are popping that SD card in and out so regularly, it put extra stress on those solder connections? I use a micro-sd card in an adapter and never actually remove the adapter as I have an extra adapter from when I upgraded the internal micro-sd card.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had the card being read in the Android GUI, then rebooted into recovery without inserting/removing/otherwise touching the card. Same issue.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just a thought. If you could get the firmware onto the root of the micro SD, would the PDN look there after finding nothing on the SD or finding no SD? I can't imagine that Pandigital's online update service would be lame enough to require an SD card.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote name='geebekazoo;27481]Just a thought. If you could get the firmware onto the root of the micro SD' date=' would the PDN look there after finding nothing on the SD or finding no SD? I can't imagine that Pandigital's online update service would be lame enough to require an SD card.[/QUOTE'] That was my workaround, and it worked fine. I'd just prefer to do it from the external one in case I need to pull it out and put a new zip on using a computer's SD slot or something.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think its a bug in the firmware(bootloader) of this version. I tried roebeet's custom rom from the exteral card and it just goes to android !(fail). However when i look at the recovery log it shows that there are two different mount points tried. I then copied it to the internal card and succeeded with the flash. Im have a vague recollection of putting the fw on the external card, with a prior version installed, and succeeding with a flash from the external card.What if there is no recovery mode, ie the boot loader is part of the fw image that is used to load the next version?Recovery log attached

·
Registered
104 Posts
stoic : The mount points are actually the same... sort of. mmcblk0 is the primary and mmcblk0p1 would be a partition on/under mmcblk0. Its an actual embedded device issue we had on one of our products. Some SDcards would come FAT formatted but mount as mmcblk0 and some as mmcblk0p1. Rev 1 of the s/w only looked for a mmcblk0p1, talk about a snafu. :)clockworx: It could be (based on my linux embedded device fun) the kernel and multithreading stepping on toes stuff. We had a product and occasionally some stuff just wouldn't come up and work. It turned out to be that certain drivers had to load first and actually finish, before other stuff loaded to get the actual interfaces working. If device driver A wasn't finished and driver B tried to access and got a failure then the device wouldn't show up. State machine style issue(s). This is the kind of odd variation we can see from machine to machine due to mfg tolerances on components etc. One machine can run a bit faster and cause the problem occasionally, yet another albeit slower mahcine will never show the issue. PITA to debug.Does android have any console/dmesg logs like linux proper does ? Looking at the kernel boot sequence might shed some light as to why the sdcard is not always seen. It should fail on normal boot when left inserted from time to time, not just on recovery.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote name='HWgeek;29043]clockworx: It could be (based on my linux embedded device fun) the kernel and multithreading stepping on toes stuff. We had a product and occasionally some stuff just wouldn't come up and work. It turned out to be that certain drivers had to load first and actually finish' date=' before other stuff loaded to get the actual interfaces working. If device driver A wasn't finished and driver B tried to access and got a failure then the device wouldn't show up. State machine style issue(s). This is the kind of odd variation we can see from machine to machine due to mfg tolerances on components etc. One machine can run a bit faster and cause the problem occasionally, yet another albeit slower mahcine will never show the issue. PITA to debug.Does android have any console/dmesg logs like linux proper does ? Looking at the kernel boot sequence might shed some light as to why the sdcard is not always seen. It should fail on normal boot when left inserted from time to time, not just on recovery.[/QUOTE']Yeah, some kind of race condition was my guess too. I'm pretty sure it's not the device or the hardware. Maybe there needs to be a one second "sleep" somewhere in the recovery init procedure.You can do dmesg (I think), and adb logcat, but I'm pretty sure neither of those are available in recovery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, does the failure ever occur on normal boot if you leave the sdcard installed but don't do recovery mode booting? The commands I saw in the recovery mode (mount etc) say that the kernel gets loaded up and some base filesystem to call mount commands etc It might be as ?easy? as modifying the boot recovery script (assuming we can find it) and adding ins some sleep commands, if its filesystem based. I don't have droid sdk up yet, using a mac, setting up the whole environment and seeing if I can pull out the bits to help mac users get just adb parts like others did for pc users. might take me a bit, other priorities and all that jazz....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote name='HWgeek;29141]Well' date=' does the failure ever occur on normal boot if you leave the sdcard installed but don't do recovery mode booting? The commands I saw in the recovery mode (mount etc) say that the kernel gets loaded up and some base filesystem to call mount commands etc It might be as ?easy? as modifying the boot recovery script (assuming we can find it) and adding ins some sleep commands, if its filesystem based. I don't have droid sdk up yet, using a mac, setting up the whole environment and seeing if I can pull out the bits to help mac users get just adb parts like others did for pc users. might take me a bit, other priorities and all that jazz.... [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE'] Actually, I've heard many people say that the SD Card (often) isn't recognized if it is in when you boot. It is recognized if you eject and re-insert it. Probably the same issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would guess it might be a bad spot on the SD card. too many writes or something...have your tried more than one SD card?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts