Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
2,102 Posts
SlyDog;16076 said:
Aldiko works just fine. Plus it isn't proprietary so you can port over any ebook you got from other sources. Kindle you can only use the kindle store bought books.
but you can't use amazon books b/c of the drm, right? I haven't toyed with Aldiko, but otherwise, aldiko rules the universe.

· Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I have not done it but there is supposed to be Calibre plugins to remove amazon drm.The problem I have with the Android Kindle app is it ONLY reads AZW files. .prc or .mobi that work on a kindle or PC kindle crash the android app.The reply from Amazon about this was:
I'm sorry, but you'll not be able to download prc mobi files using your Kindle for Android application.…
I've been buying ebooks from Baen since 2000 and don't want to convert/re-download a couple of hundred books.

· Registered
44 Posts
Yes you can use any ebook even from amazon. Calibre is a great and free program to convert and remove drm from other sources. Then just export to aldiko on the droid. Like mogrith said... If I buy a book one place, I don't want to have to buy it again to use on another program somewhere else when I can just copy/paste. That's like buying 3 copies of the same book; one for the bedroom, one for the bathroom, and one for the den. I rather buy 3 books than 1 book 3 times.

· Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Reading on the Mobileread forums The Kindle app can read non drm .mobi files. The synch with Amazon is what crashes. If you turn off wifi and start the app with non amazon books it will work, but if you want to d/l a book or synch bookmarks it will crash.I think this is a 'feature' not a bug. Amazon doesn't want you to read books not from the kindle store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.