Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 7HT, ive tried a couple of the chinese tablets and the Pandigital Novel and I keep finding my self using it as my primary device. It has showed me what is important to me to make a tablet usable. Im spoiled by its great battery life and excellent video playback.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote name='Joshua;42296]I love my 7HT' date=' ive tried a couple of the chinese tablets and the Pandigital Novel and I keep finding my self using it as my primary device. It has showed me what is important to me to make a tablet usable. Im spoiled by its great battery life and excellent video playback.[/QUOTE'] Hey, I've been considering buying one of these for some time now. I had a Pandigital Novel, but went through 5 of them due to hardware issues. How would you compare the two? My main concern is with screen responsiveness. I hear a lot of complaints about the Archos, but when I see videos of it it seems just like any other resistive screen. I had no problem with the screen response of the Pandigital Novel. Which screen would you say is better?Also, besides the new ereader apps like Kindle, Kobo, and nook, are there any other significant Android apps that won't run on 1.5?Lastly, do you use Android Comic Viewer on the Archos? Some people say it works great, and others say there is a lot of lag between page turns. Overall, would you say that the Archos is just as fast as the Pandigital Novel?If there is anything else that you can tell me that would help me make my decision, that would be great. I've been searching for sort of a point by point comparision with a hacked Pandigital Novel, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I get a chance I'll shoot a vid comparing my archos to my A81e. The archos keeps up speed wise as long as you end tasks your not using. If it weren't for android 1.5 I would be keeping the archos. I wanted to use nook app. Much better screen response on my archos than my A81e.This is my actual archos. I think some screens are better than others and maybe I got one from a really good batch.
If your thinking about spending the money on an archos 7, you should be comparing it to the A81e then. Less headaches and hacking and better hardware than the PDN.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a responsive screen on my archos unit after doing a calibration with a stylus, i have found the pdn screen 'slightly more responsive, but my a7ht runs faster and more responsive on almost all apps ive tried. Android 1.5 lack of compatibility with the ebook apps hasn't been a big problem for me as I dont read e-books. I am able to run most of the same apps as I have on my Samsung Galaxy S phone. I use mine mainly as a media player with some web surfing and games (jewels, robo defense, wordup, ect). It does what i want well. It has amazing battery life and can be charged with over USB with a adapter cable since it has a 3.7v battery. It dosent require a lot of hacking and tweeking to make it usable like the pdn and some other tablets. The build quality is also very good, a step above the PDN and several steps above the EKEN m001. I used my credit card points to get it for around $100 which kinda sweetened the deal. I think the $200 msrp is pushing the value barrier but I would have easily paid $150 for it.I did a comparo thread in the PDN board, after doing a calibration on my a7ht with a stylust it has made me retract the PDN having a much better touch screen to just a slightly better touchscreen.http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/4329-novel-vs-archos-7ht.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
[quote name='docfreed;45999]Just got my Archos 7HT - first thing I did was to install custom ROM (dead easy compared to PDN or Gentouch) with root' date=' market and Google apps - go over to Archosfans.com - very active forum there.[/QUOTE'] I confirm. I've a archos home tablet too. with the special firmware from Sir knightdominion. very easy to install this one et very good result. with this, my tablet is a very good deal, root, market, google apps, large space to play the apps (+250 mb)... good wifi, very good battery (+ 6 h videos, music and surf !)

·
Registered
2 Posts
docfreed and vnvebm,Can you provide me a link to Sir knightdominion's .apk and instructions that you referred to? I would really appreciate it. I should receive my 7HT tomorrow and would like to start off on the right foot!Also, what version of Android does the ROM take the tablet to?Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doc,Thanks so much! That's a great thread and I read through all 19 pages! Looks like Sir Dom and the rest of the crew made an awesome custom ROM! I had one other question from someone totally new to all of this stuff. I have searched forums and google, but I have been unable to find the "normal procedure" or associated software necessary for flashing the 7HT. Could someone provide me a linkj to a step by step primer?I run windows vista 64-bit if that is pertinent. I also have access to a computer with XP SP3.Thanks and again sorry for my ignorance!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use Vista 64 also but it doesn't matter - flashing is dead simple. 1. Download any "update.img" file (if the file has a different name, rename to "update.img"2. Connect the Archos 7HT to your PC. The 7HT will ask whether you want to mount it - Select Mount:In Windows explorer you should see two items under Archos 7HT (Drive Letters)3. Copy the update img file to the root of the internal drive 4. Remove the 7HT from the PC - the Archos will find the update.img and ask whether you want to update - answer affirmative and also keep the Archos plugged into to the charger - it will update automagically and begin the initialization screen. Viola!

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
[quote name='docfreed;51527]I use Vista 64 also but it doesn't matter - flashing is dead simple. 1. Download any "update.img" file (if the file has a different name' date=' rename to "update.img"2. Connect the Archos 7HT to your PC. The 7HT will ask whether you want to mount it - Select [URL=Mount:In]Mount:In[/URL] Windows explorer you should see two items under Archos 7HT (Drive Letters)3. Copy the update img file to the root of the internal drive 4. Remove the 7HT from the PC - the Archos will find the update.img and ask whether you want to update - answer affirmative and also keep the Archos plugged into to the charger - it will update automagically and begin the initialization screen. Viola![/QUOTE'] Docfreedcheers for the info on flashing, have got one coming tomorrow and was looking for some "how to" info, great thread!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just got myself an Archos 7 and completed the process of installing this ROM. WOW! never thought cupcake could run this good. Thanks to all involved. Lets hope that the Dr. comes back and gives us more of his handy work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.