Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a PDN yesterday and noticed I couldn't connect to any secured network. I was able to connect to a neighbors unsecured network but didn't try removing the encryption off mine yet. I figured it might be a buggy firmware so I updated that to the 7-24 version but still nothing. The first time out it asks for the key then attempts to connect then shows disconnected. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Was going to contact the manufacturer today but figure you guys would be a better resource anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
this may sound odd, but did you select to turn wifi on? It doesn't necessarily come one when you search for a network. Just a thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='lawman;25600]this may sound odd' date=' but did you select to turn wifi on? It doesn't necessarily come one when you search for a network. Just a thought.[/QUOTE'] When I went to scan the first time it said wifi was off and asked if I wanted to turn on, so I beleive it is still on but I can double check. I thought it showed no networks if it was off but I could be wrong.As for the key transpose....I guess it is possible since I am still getting used to a touch keyboard but I did tell it to forget the connection a few times and inputted the key more than once.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double checked....wifi is on and inputted key again still won't connect. Sadly I think I'll be returning this since many seem to be having some sort of wifi issue and without it this device is pretty useless.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have a DDR-WRT WAP (Linkys WAP54G) using WPA2-AES, and I can connect to it. As you've probably read, it can have issues from time to time but it should work, eventually.Try a full reset, as an FYI. If that doesn't work, it's either your particular router or maybe the device itself is faulty? Just a thought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
WiFi setup is a little odd.. As was pointed out you have to ensure wifi is turned on. It takes a while for the SSID to show up in the list. When it does and you select it it will ask for the key value. At this point it says remembered. You have to click it again and select connect. Then wait around 30 seconds... Status messages appear. and eventually you should connect.There are numerous wifi problems still... Some from android... Like no support for hidden SSID's or Ad Hoc networks... Some from pandigital... Setting up wifi seems to be the place where you can lose the touch screen forcing a reset. This happens at least once a day for me...using it for 4-5 hours.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried a reset also tried to roll back to the 7-18 firmware but still no way to connect to my router (Netgear WGT 624 v3) when encrpted. So I tried to turn it off and still nothing. But I can get several other devices to connect to this network with ease. I also tried to reconnect to the local unsecured network and nothing so I think it is the device.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to confirm, the screen indicates the following: Wi-Fi is on, not connected, below that it will say "connecting to network name" then in about 5 seconds says Disconnected. If I tell it to forget the network and then reset the key it will take about a minute before it says disconnected

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So frustrated with this thing. I called PDN support this morning and they didn't even try to troubleshoot anything, they just told me to return it!Since I really need the wifi to be functional I went out to BB&B but stopped at Starbucks on the way. I figured I woould give it a shot and sure enough it connected to their network. It was slow as can be but was connected and could see the internet. So I decided to take it back home and play some more but nothing. I can't even get it to connect with teh encryption off. So now since I was able to connect I am curious if it is a setting in my router. As someone mentioned before about the MAC filtering I did check that and it is not turned on. Any other ideas? Is anyone else running a Netgear WGT624 V3?

·
Registered
125 Posts
[quote name='fatbastard;26797]So frustrated with this thing. I called PDN support this morning and they didn't even try to troubleshoot anything' date=' they just told me to return it!Since I really need the wifi to be functional I went out to BB&B but stopped at Starbucks on the way. I figured I woould give it a shot and sure enough it connected to their network. It was slow as can be but was connected and could see the internet. So I decided to take it back home and play some more but nothing. I can't even get it to connect with teh encryption off. So now since I was able to connect I am curious if it is a setting in my router. As someone mentioned before about the MAC filtering I did check that and it is not turned on. Any other ideas? Is anyone else running a Netgear WGT624 V3?[/QUOTE'] Just to test, could you try removing the security from the router (leave it open) and try to connect using PDN then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote name='enjoys1;26873]Just to test' date=' could you try removing the security from the router (leave it open) and try to connect using PDN then.[/QUOTE'] Another thought - similar to this one, is if your net is secured AND has a hidden SID, unhide your SID before you go all the way with opening up the world to your router...My son has a PDN as well, and he had similar connection problems until he 'un-hid' his SID...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see this thread is a few months old so maybe someone figured out the problem. I'm running a Linksys WRT120N router and it works great with my notebook. LKike many others out there I can connect to the store down the street and it's unsecured. I spent a hour with Linksys support turning all the security of and I still can't connect. The only thing I noticed on the board was people atked about the "KEY". Are you referring to the network Key or the passphrase? Any help would be appreciated. I like the PDN, if I can only get it connected, and then I'l start the hack for the Kindle app.Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update, I turned the security off and no change. I switched to WEP security and everything is working fine now. I reported this to Pandigital and maybe they will fix the WPA problem in the future. This board is great, thanks for all the help in the hacking, Kindle is working and I'm Happy.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have wpa working fine... have you checked your router fw?

·
Registered
1 Posts
[quote name='geebekazoo;26814]Sorry' date=' I'm only running a Netgear WGT624 V2 and having no problems. I have the router restricted to my own machines MAC addresses and the PDN is working fine.[/QUOTE'] I have the same router Netgear WGT624 V2 ut am experiencing the same issue as 'fatbastard' with the Netgear WGT624 V3. PDN support not available til Monday AM...any help til then is appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure this is relevant, but I was trying to connect my PDN to my wireless router and I kept getting a popup telling me that my key was incorrect (using wpa2 with a 50+ character string).  After trying to enter it several times with no success (and I was entering it correctly), I went into the router and set up a guest account with its own SSID and with a separate phrase, devoid of all the various punctuation marks.  I kept the zones separate and was able to access the internet.  The connection was still holding this morning when I turned the device on again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.