Android Tablets Forum banner
201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
JustinTime4Tea, thanks for your suggestions, i finally managed to get some time on my hands playing with picuntu again. I changed the MTU size of eth0 (the wlan adapter) to 1492 and all my ssh-related problems disappeared. Not sure if I should blame my access point. Nevertheless, my device is now working perfectly.
Awesome to hear! If you have any cool projects or "solutions" you've come up with using Picuntu we all would love to hear about them
I've seen several good ideas such as Hammos posted on this forum using Motion (or alternatively Zoneminder) as security system.

What are your thoughts or what have you accomplished/started working on ?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I moves my filesystem to a 7200rpm HDD and I have tried on USB flash. Both seem to improve "responsiveness" over sdcard but I don't notice much difference between them two.. Maybe hitting its Max bus speed??

If you want a really "bare bones" system.. Download Ubuntu core.. Copy over the "lib" folder and then boot that.. Or build up your filesystem in chroot.(with qemu).

I can give you more info if you need. Let me know

Edit: you will need the wireless-tools and WPA_supplicant packages before booting if you want WiFi to work.
Also ifupdown.. And nano... But they might be included.

I've also started working on a embedian based system. Really low resource usage..
That sounds awesome!
Ubuntu-core meaning the Ubuntu-Minimal ? the "CD" with just the command line and basic functions to then download packages you want etc..? its like a couple hundred MB if that?

How is the Embedian based system comming? I am ALL about low resources especially when I plan on "embedding" some of these dongles in my house, car, and batheroom (lol don't ask) For a lot of stuff I can accomplish using Arduino or another prototybe based board but I LOVE the power and price on these dongles. For an over-featured Arduino Mega you could easily spend $50 but for $52 I can get an 808... with picuntu installed that is a no brainer haha with a super low resource system like embedian ... even more reason

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a complete newbie in Linux and I have installed successfully Picuntu (complete huge image, incl. the kernel upgrade to RC3) on my Rikomagic IIIS. Additionally I purchased a Realtek 8192CU wlan device (http://www.digitus.info/produkte/netzwerk/300mbps-wireless-lan-serie/wireless-300n-usb-antennenadapter-dn-70540/), but I'm not able to configure my internet connection. I activated the rtl8192cu module with modprobe but iwconfig shows no device:
iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions
sit0 no wireless extensions
ip6tnl0 no wireless extensions

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8178 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Can anybody help me please?

I tried many things (for weeks), but nothing worked. If there is no easy solution, perhaps somebody can tell me which WLAN device (exactely) works definitely out-of-the-box? Sorry, the name of chipset doesn't help me, i already have a supported chipset which doesn't work :).

Thanks,
Toni

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,

We have begun experimentation with Picuntu with a definite eye towards making it central to our plans. However, our hardware goals tend towards the quad core 3188. We want to go quad core but we're afraid Linux won't be there for us. Does Picuntu have a chance of running on the 3188 in two months or three? Experts - project members: please contact me.

·
Developer
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Hi All,

We have begun experimentation with Picuntu with a definite eye towards making it central to our plans. However, our hardware goals tend towards the quad core 3188. We want to go quad core but we're afraid Linux won't be there for us. Does Picuntu have a chance of running on the 3188 in two months or three? Experts - project members: please contact me.
hi,

I am the lead developer for PicUntu.

The 3188 up-step is a logical way forward for PicUntu to grow into.

Our current problem has been the lack of time/resource for pooling into this project, which we are hopeful to remove, from second half of next month.

Alok

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everybody,

I have installed Picuntu 0.9r2.2 on my Minix Neo X5 but I cannot get the Wifi to work.ive been searching a lot on forums, tried many drivers and tweaks but still haven't managed to make it work. Has somebody managed to make it work? Thank you

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Picuntu should work with other Rockchip devices if you have correct kernel and those devices have similar HW aside from the RockChip. Most the kernels circulating on this topic and other similar MK808/Rk3066 topics are custom compiled from source specifically for RK3066 but if you do a google search for RK2926 or RK292* or search slatedroid you may find a kernel for that device. If you have the right kernel and it is of similar kernel version I would imagine this system would work for you. You will need to make sure and check what modules/drivers the kernel you find supports and you may need to download more modules/firmware I am uncertain because I have yet to compile a kernel myself and do not have your device. If you find a kernel and want to test a pre-configured all-ready pre-setup Picuntu image and have an 8GB+ SD card lying around you can test the home-io edition with easy Windows IMG and Linux tar files based on Picuntu RC3 with Olegk0 Mali400 support and other extra goodies (check my signature for info and link) I have heard success of users using my version of Picuntu image with other devices such as iMito MX1 and UG802, I am currently contacting them in regards to which kernels/alternate steps they've used to accomplish this and will edit original post to reflect. If you do find a kernel or at least kernel source for other RK devices let us know so we can take a look as well!
I'm in love with the several MK808 minions I have and they are even cheaper than ever (only around $40 now! There goes Arduino
) this is probably because of the new RK3188 Quad cores being released soon! UBER EXCITING!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
yes there are many upcoming Rk3188 quad core devices being released soon. there are several on the market currently but there is yet to be a broad "variety/selection" of RK3188 devices. the only one coming to mind is by geekbuying. MK809 , Tronsmart box and tab and one or two others. with more devices featuring the rk3188 soon to be released more people will have access and variety of price ranges making it more accessible and eventually it will suceed in being the successor to the RK3066. its still really early in its "release cycle" but I am excited and ready to put Linux on it

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm very interested in using ubuntu on 10" RK2928 netbooks. Now they are not in production, only WM8850, but before there was models with WM8650, then RK2918, now it's Wm8850, and RK2928 is similar SoC, it was launched not so many time ago, now there are not many tablets with it, but once the new chip chipset is launched, chinese makers begin to make netbooks on this SoC, so I waiting for RK2928 netbooks to install ubuntu on it, Rk2928 is very similar with Rk3066, I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

How to make a new bootable recovery img

how can i make zImage into the bootable recovry image format?

my device, with a rk3066 cpu.

any one can help me? unpacking and re-packing the recovery img found in #1 of this topic

the img can success to boot my device , but i want to do add some files into the img then repack it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone. I can see that last two Months there are no post, but I have to ask this.
I have Ployer Momo12 tablet specs are here and specification of this tablet is very same as of ug802 mini pc and MK808. Since android on this device work poorly, i was hoping that it will be some linux available for this device.
I try to instal it on sd card with no success I guess because of kernel.
How real is for me to expect that someone make that kernel?, I will gladly test it right away.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all!

I'm trying to put linux in my rikomagic mk802III (same hardware than ug802, right?), and I saw the home io project, but, can I use it with my device?

I have asked a similar thing in the mk808 forum, home://io post, if do it is considered crossposting, please tell me and I delete it.

Thank you in advance!

201 - 220 of 221 Posts