Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Last night I was one of the lucky one's who was able to successfully managed to buy a HP Touch Pad" from HP's website. It was listed for $99 and after applying $15 OFF coupon my cost was $90 including Shipping and taxes. It has very decent specs which are mentioned in this LINK. I am requesting to all the developers who can spare some time to port Android on this beautiful tablet. *Unverified sources claimed that almost 350,000 units have been sold during this weekend already. As per their delivery schedule people will get their tablets around August 26-30, you can imagine the potential of this work when a huge amont of people will be looking for android port for this tablet.Here is the LINK. It comes in two different flavors 16 GB and 32 GB with all same specs.

As almost same basic internal of the HTC EVO 3D, Android Port could/will be very successful on HP Touch Pad. The task
is difficult but very much achievable. Needs hardware support for all the sensors, wifi, file partitions etc. The
first step has already been achieved by successfully rooting the device by some genius souls at Touchdroid and Android
port is not that far as well. Just stay tuned and for "Good News".
I am not speculating but looks like they are very very close for "Public Release" may be alpha or beta in a week time or so. Please don't get me wrong I am just so excited!!

Thanks.

Updated: Oct 02, 2011 ACME Installer and DUAL BOOT Demo. Very Very Soon, Be Patient!

Updated: Sep 20, 2011 CyanogenMod made some amazing progress. Looks like they are almost ready for release

Update # 1: Team Touchdroid" has actively started work on Gingerbread and AOSP base followed by successfully boot Android, they will move to a CM7 base. LINK

Update # 2: One of the person behind bringing Honeycomb to Nook Color is also planning to work on AOSP port to TP LINK

Update # 3: How to root your HP Touch Pad? LINK All credit goes to Touchdroid team

Update # 4: THEY GOT IT!!!! Here is the video Touchpad running Android Froyo 2.2. Not released for public yet.LINK

Update # 5: Looks like they are very close for CM7 release for public. See the video

Update # 6: Another user named TecKnight joined the team with plans of porting Gingerbread 2.3, he/she named the project "Kryptonite". He has done quite a bit of work and waiting for Touchpad to be delivered from HP. His work can be checked out here LINK and LINK

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think I have one on the way via a local retailer connection. I would certainly like to give Android a shot on this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I have one on the way via a local retailer connection. I would certainly like to give Android a shot on this.
I really appreciate that you have mentioned about the local electronics stores sales as well. I have completely forgot about those people who already have their tablets in hand. Than it will be much quicker about porting requests. Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As HP has stopped the selling and production of the Touchpad, there will be little need fir Mods.

Please read here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21340-you-bought-hp-touchpad-its-discontinued-now-what/
@Reimar
I did read your excellent article about the product. I fully understand the forth coming issues about "No Updates" as far as from HP. The solution in my understanding is, if we have a solid modified Android ROM for TP than we might not have to go to HP as this processor (Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-core APQ8060) with 1GB RAM is quite capable of handing Gingerbread or on the higher side Honeycomb as well. If we TP community which will definitely increases as time goes by will have some good developers taking this task of ROM development, I am positive that this tablet is quite capable of performing not less than but may be better than "Nook Color" or "Dell Streak".
Thanks for your comments.

Please check out this xda forum link in only one day it has already stormed with "Android Porting requests" with donations offer

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought mine from Barnes and noble this morning online, got the link from woot.

I like webos, and Palmos before it, the only thing that make me aggrevated is that this could spell the ned if palmOS.

I thought it was great for what I needed.

I do believe that android or even a more traditional linux (puppy anyone)could make this a viable tablet for manufacture. or at least support again.

I think HP shot the pooch the same way that BBERRY did, come to market late w/ a NON android OS

but thats my 2 cts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought mine ----------------------------------------------- but thats my 2 cts
I totally agree with you. I am a very big fan of webOS but unfortunately it is going and believe me that is a BIG example of how the big fish eats small fish. Google is monopolizing everything. I will not be surprised if we have to wear a "Google" brand Underwear or "Fruit of the Google" underwear in near future. Ha Ha Ha!!

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
[....snip]

Credit goes to iconian of Slick Deals for Info and Specs links

Update # 1: A team called "Touchdroid" is actively started work on Gingerbread and AOSP base followed by successfully boot Android, they will move to a CM7 base. (I wish I can mention the link for their work in progress but it is against SLD policies to list outside forums links, Sorry!)

Update # 2: One of the person behind bringing Honeycomb to Nook Color is also planning to work on AOSP port to TP LINK

Update # 3: How to root your HP Touch Pad ROOT All credit goes to Touchdroid team
@dark_angel,

It is okay to post links to other forums that do not require registration to utilize the information being shared.

Thanks for this post.

MrsB.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the froyo video is actually a test build of android which is used on the device before webOS is put on it. That is why the touch screen works. This is great news!

can't wait as I am typing this on my HP touchpad with webOS

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the froyo video is actually a test build of android which is used on the device before webOS is put on it. That is why the touch screen works. This is great news!

can't wait as I am typing this on my HP touchpad with webOS
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Thanks for mentioning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
10 point multi touch drivers now working. Good progress!

YouTube vidro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts