Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on Pandigital sub-forum. For those who know more than me, would this hack be possible for the 78?Cut'n paste:How to make Market work Credits to clockworx & enjoys1Original Thread: Ugly hack to working marketThe way I did it was too easy since i had a rooted moto droid already. Takes the fun out of it.If you can root, then spin up your Motorola A855 (MotoDroid) drivers, head to the ADB/Android SDK folder and run this line:Code:adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db "select * from meta";should just return your AndroidID (not Android_ID - this has alphanumeric chars)copy/paste it somewhere because you'll need it to activate market and talkFor not so fortunate:This post sum'd everything up for me: Ugly hack to working marketI'll edit it to water it down a bit1) Download the android SDK and install it.- Android SDK | Android Developers- Run the setup. On available packages, expand the repo and look for Android SDK 1.6 API 4 Rev 3- This is what you need to install. It'll download and add it to your list of VDs2) Then create a virtual emu for Android 1.6 and then close the android emulator.- On the SDK setup- Virtual Devices- New- Name: "TEST", Target: "Android 1.6", SD Card Size: 0, Skin: Default (HVGA), Hardware: LCD Density "160", Device Ram Size "1024", Touchschreen Support- Create AVD3) Then install (copy) the "system.img" file from:system.img - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download4) Then on windows run box type :%userprofile%/.android/avdThis will open a file explorer in that folder. Then copy the system.img file downloaded in step 3 there.- drop the file in the directory under the name for your AVD, in this case, i named the avd "test". so i need to copy the system.img in the test.avd folder- so it'll be %userprofile%/.android/avd/[name you used for your avd].avd5) Now start the android emulator again and start the virtual dev for 1.6 (created in step 2).- Select the AVD, and click Start- A window with small Android and a cursor should show, next to it is your basic controls- Click and hold the "Power Button" for 5 secs. Should "boot up" the device. The bootanimation should start right after. it might take awhile since it's building cache, etc on the emulated device.- You should see a lock screen. Follow directions and press menu to unlock.- You will go through it like a brand new android phone. Skip through everything including signing into your google account. The problem i ran into was that i can't figure out why it's asking me to "slide the keyboard open". DO YOU NOT KNOW YOU CANT SLIDE MY EMULATED PHONE OPEN?!- Once in the main screen/home screen. Press menu and select settings. Proceed on6) Then create/sign with google account.- Select Data Synchronization- This will let you "Sign in" into your google account but no need to slide the keyboard this time.- go through the wizard and sign on!- It will sync your contacts.. leave that window open.7) Now on PC open the cmd prompt and go to SDK folder/tools- Make sure that the PD Novel is not connected.Now type following commands:> adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/accounts.db "select * from meta";This will give you a number :androidId||<number> ...this number is your ID8) Now close the android emulator completely (Keep the CMD prompt window open if possible) and then connect your PDN.9) Now run : adb devices (to check only PDN is connected)10) Now run:adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db "update meta set intvalue='number_from_previous_commands' where name='androidId'";11) then disconnect PDN and reboot.REBOOT. I SAID REBOOT!!!ok, since you didnt want to reboot. check if google talk works. if it does, congratulations, its time to reboot so you can use your market.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
It should work, but we're finding that we're limited in terms of what apps we can see because of the android 1.6 img. Better than nothing though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the hack above DOES work, seems like a better solution as it is giving the 78 its own Android market id to allow the original market to work. Not sure if this would still cause issue with the cache or not but conceptually seems to solve why the original market that came with device was not functioning...ie it did not have a unique Google Market id to allow access to market.In any case, would be nice if this fix was baked in the update that Augen is going to release. Hope they get the REAL Android Market working as it is much better than the AndAppStore they released...which is still better than nothing I guess. For those with Android phones and/or working market in an emulator (I have Android phone) its not a big deal to move apk's manually but access to market directly on 78 would be much nicer!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
currently there is no REAL fix for the /cache problem. for anyone that doesn't know about the /cache problem./cache is a partition that on most gentouch78s is 5mb in size while some (myself included) have a 20mb /cache. the temp workaround in the augendev wiki must be performed after each reboot. there is a solution for this that doesn't require the user to run commands after every reboot. it should be released late today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I figured that there SHOULD be a way to automate this at boot, but since I didn't have any hw and hence no idea what could be modified didn't bother saying anything... but I had been thinking IF it ran init or similar it could just be added into the startup scripts... or maybe a cron job failing that IF it runs cron(or similar -- probably anacron if anything), or failing that a little android app to do it...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
mogrith;31753 said:
Why is it that the emulator can get a AndroidID but most tablets Cannot? How does the emulator fake having SIM card that a slate can't do also.
Probably just a lack of effort on the manufacturers part. My guess is that you could recompile libreference-ril to return a fake SIM, though I'm not 100% sure it's in that library. The person who made the hacked 1.6 image probably did just that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I still don't understand the need for a SIM card id period. What is it that the verizon and sprint devices are using? Both are on cdma networks, and do not use SIM cards at all. Only gsm based networks use sim cards.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='Dunavan;31847]I still don't understand the need for a SIM card id period. What is it that the verizon and sprint devices are using? Both are on cdma networks' date=' and do not use SIM cards at all. Only gsm based networks use sim cards.[/QUOTE'] Not a sim card necessarily, just some sort of hardware ID. CDMA networks probably use the phone's IMEI. Although I'm still not sure why it is applied to hardware, they already have an identifier (the user's google account)

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
So much depends on the Android Market store. Should have option to use the browser to download the *.apk file. Now must of us are out of luck unless you search for replicated sites that give you the option to download *.apk instead of the store. Right now I need USA Today Android App links to the Android Market, would be better if you had option to go to the Market or to the Browser like with have with Gentouch but if I select the browser I get error. I have this one game called Sky Force.apk that puts this device in Port mode and when you exit the game your stuck in that mode (which looks cool though) on browsers. To get out of that mode back to land mode required me to get out of the browser. I see there are some kinks there also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
emulator does not get a simid thats different, there is an app in market to simulate simid but goes away on reboot on the augen cause it uses a fake radio (emulator market does not have access to provider market apps)

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
[quote name='clockworx;31855]Not a sim card necessarily' date=' just some sort of hardware ID. CDMA networks probably use the phone's IMEI. Although I'm still not sure why it is applied to hardware, they already have an identifier (the user's google account)[/QUOTE'] Copy protection I think. Can't have you install the same pay app on 3 devices just because you used the same google account.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
mogrith;31890 said:
Copy protection I think. Can't have you install the same pay app on 3 devices just because you used the same google account.
I see what you mean, but I'm not sure how much of a concern that would be. Most people with Android devices enjoy using google services, so they want to use their own gmail, google calendar, contacts. If you had no allegiance to google you could have one account shared with a ton of devices (and people), but then you'll essentially be sharing access to credit card purchases with a bunch of people too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well google does track apps installed and since you can switch phones and run your gmail account on many android devices, plus not everything can have android market, these are the reasons for androidid, simid is the same except for carrier "exclusives"

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
[quote name='zendick;31889]emulator does not get a simid thats different' date=' there is an app in market to simulate simid but goes away on reboot on the augen cause it uses a fake radio (emulator market does not have access to provider market apps)[/QUOTE'] Could that be used to get an andoidID even if if it lost on reboot? Can you make id one time and store it or does it have to be authenticated against a simid each time to enter the market?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.