Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of an ipad to view the many CBR comic files I have but don't want to pay that much! Does anyone know if you can install this app on the M100? If not, are there any other ways to view CBR files on the M001? can it read PDF files?If somebody could download the app (it's free) and confirm it works, then that would be amazing and I could right ahead and order a M100thanks muchly :)Steve

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi!Yes, it is working fine, and in contrast to other readers: Fullscreen :DThere are also a lot of other readers, including all eBook files and pdf!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use it with files up to 20mb.BUT cbr and cbz files are simple rar/zip archives. ACV also works with folders, so unpacking should enable it to use unlimited sized comics. You can also find/create cbr/folder parts of a comic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again - do you find it good for reading comics?I have an iPhone but I have to keep zooming in as the screen is much smaller. I was thinking that viewing them on the M001 in landscape mode, I may not have to zoom in, just scroll down. Would that be right? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hmm, that's weird. Did you put the app on an SD card or on the device itself? The only potential reason for it not working is maybe because I was reading from the SD card. I'll give it another try later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[quote author=thefable link=topic=215.msg1819#msg1819 date=1274705009]I like the idea of an ipad to view the many CBR comic files I have but don't want to pay that much! Does anyone know if you can install this app on the M100? If not, are there any other ways to view CBR files on the M001? can it read PDF files?Steve[/quote]I haven't read the replies yet, so I'm sure you already have many answers, but I just HAD to answer because this was one of the first apps I installed (installed successfully, even on the original ROM), and one of the main reasons I got an Eken. It works great. A bit slow, as is to be expected, but no problems with opening CBRs/etc. SOMETIMES a page wouldn't load for some reason.. and on reboot sometimes it would load and other times not. Not sure why (RAM? Corrupted CBR?) but it wasn't enough to get all pissy about.So rest easy, you're set.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[quote author=thefable link=topic=215.msg1888#msg1888 date=1274727384]Thank you both - can I ask what size files you both tried it with?thanks again[/quote]I was using mostly single-issue stuff... but about 20-30 meg files it worked fine.When I get my replacement I'll toss bigger things on there and see.And if noone answered yet, it comes with Documents To Go, which can read PDFs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[quote author=shabbir0 link=topic=215.msg2404#msg2404 date=1274911414]Hmm, that's weird. Did you put the app on an SD card or on the device itself? The only potential reason for it not working is maybe because I was reading from the SD card. I'll give it another try later.[/quote]All of mine were on an SD card, 16gig cheapo card, with not a whole lot of leftover room on it (maybe 1-2 gigs?)So perhaps the CBRs?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was reading them from a 1gig SD card. Sometimes I use the "close all" function of the home++ task manager to get more free ram. Maybe there are other programs reserving memory on your device?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want Comics to read really fast, it's worth taking a look time to prep/resize them for the ekkenCBZ?s and CBRs are about 4 times bigger than the screen of this device, so it has to pull them out of the archive and resize them and that can take anywhere from 2 sec to 10 sec depending on the particular page. and some pages are so big that you will get out of memory issues.To speed things up, What I did was:1. Use a file renamer program to change all CBR extensions to RAR -- ExtensionRenamer.exe Extension Renamer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com2. Use WinRar (like WinZip) to ?unzip? all the comics into there own folder. WinRAR (32-bit) - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com3. Download/install the Resize Powertoy from Microsoft for XP Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP or this clone for Vista or Win7 Image Resizer Powertoy Clone for Windows4. Do a search on JPG in the comic folder, so all the jpegs show up in one search window (even though they are in different folders, this will make resizing them all at once easy instead of doing it folder by folder.)5. Select all the images in the search window and then right click and ?Resize? --> Custom resize originals (using the context menu power toy) all the images to fit within 800px x 800px (This will resize those pesky doublepage spreads properly too.)Sounds like a little bit of work but once you have the software installed, it really only takes a few clicks and then the comics are optimized for the Android. The nice thing is, you can do an entire collection or folder of comics at once doing the above too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts