Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Short answer: No.Long answer: Probably not, I think it would take one of three things to happen:1) Eken port it themselves.2) Eken make a release of their linux kernel source and someone does the development work to improve the framebuffer driver for the graphics.3) Someone does a massive amount of reverse-engineering and either builds a kernel or reverse-engineers and ports Eken's userspace patches to 2.2.I've looked into (3) a bit and it'll be a lot of work. Large changes in the way graphics are handled between 1.6 & 2.2. There are some technical notes (now a bit out of date) on my blog here: http://projectgus.com/2010/06/notes-on-porting-android-2-x-to-eken-m001/

· Registered
246 Posts
[quote name='cesar747;13953]But...I don't know why Eken don't show the"code" for 8505? This would be wonderfull for sale millions of ekens m001 [/QUOTE] It's a good question. I think there are two reasons.One is that a lot of the code that Eken is using is the "WMT SDK" which is licensed from VIA/Wondermedia. Presumably VIA do not allow releases of this part of the code' date=' because they license it to manufacturers for a fee.The other is, I think, that the WM8505 chipset is fairly common and Eken are worried about people ripping off their firmware into other devices. In the Shenzhen 'shanzai' ripoff culture then this seems pretty common. It explains why the firmware has a sneaky licensing check baked into it as well (details here: [url']http://projectgus.com/eken-m001-phone-home/[/url])I think you are right, though. A good community open source movement around this device would work wonders. Eken is already the first-to-market with a tablet and has good brand recognition. Sooner or later someone is going to eclipse them anyhow, they might as well encourage community development to keep their platform ahead.They seem to be doing the opposite, though - the 1.7.4 firmware is missing some command line tools that were present in 1.7.2, and it also locks out 'root' on the serial console whereas before it was open (it's also open by default on vanilla Android builds.) All of this actively works against anyone porting new versions of Android, and keeping the platform alive.

· Registered
246 Posts
exilaus;15908 said:
for violation of gpl why don't write @ [email protected]?
In an ideal world, this is exactly what you'd do. There are three reasons why I don't think there's much point in this case:- Gpl-violations.org hasn't been active since 2008.- The founder of Gpl-Violations.org, Harald Welte, now actually works for VIA as their OSS liaison. We traded a few emails last week and he explained to me that Wondermedia has not violated GPL, because they provided source code with all of the binaries that they sent to their clients with the WM8505 SDK. He also said that the clients were informed that the SDK contained GPL licensed source code, and that consequently they would be obliged to release source. So the legal onus seems to lie squarely with Eken & other such companies.- To legally go after Eken means going after a small company based entirely out of a factory in Shenzhen, China, and I have no idea how you would go about doing this - I think gpl-violations.org has traditionally targeted larger companies with international presences.

· Registered
197 Posts
we are little community... only big society es. google ,or direcly via, request source have a chance to recive...but big society don't hear little community .is very hard war...whitout weapons.any have a saint ?i see much nice hardware from cina but whit shit software... i think you and other with source code help community and also eken

· Registered
246 Posts
[quote name='exilaus;16125]i think you and other with source code help community and also eken[/QUOTE] Yep' date=' I agree. Community software development would really help these platforms become better, at no extra cost to manufacturers like Eken.I think there's a typical pattern here for small Chinese hardware manufacturers, though, which is that they're so paranoid about other companies (shanzhai) stealing their designs that they are too paranoid to release anything. I think that in this case Eken have nothing really to fear (they're being ripped off anyhow at the moment), but they are wasting their "first to market" and brand recognition advantage by not supporting their community. In a few more months there will be another cheap Android device, and another, and another. The first company that decides to actually support open source development will benefit from it, I think. (On a side note: SmartQ are not violating GPL in their tablet range!)I started a thread on the gpl-violations.org 'Legal' list, we can see if it gets anywhere: [url']http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipermail/legal/2010-July/002159.html[/url]

· Registered
144 Posts
Yes, I agree, when the first low priced open source linuxable slate comes along with touch screen, my EKEN m001 will be put to sleep in a closet next to an Amiga 500, an IBM PC, and a Radio Shack Color computer with 4116s piggybacked onto the original 4kb DRAMs.q. When do computers die? a. When they can no longer grow.Eken, yo moment, use it or lose it.

· Registered
197 Posts
i see your post on gpl-violation and see a google don't want help because is not their problem. now i see only one way request any information at busybox.:(any time think law is not equal for all.law are money or money are law?eken plz give source..

· Registered
18 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;16097]In an ideal world' date=' this is exactly what you'd do. There are three reasons why I don't think there's much point in this [URL=case:-]case:-[/URL] Gpl-violations.org hasn't been active since 2008.- The founder of Gpl-Violations.org, Harald Welte, now actually works for VIA as their OSS liaison. We traded a few emails last week and he explained to me that Wondermedia has not violated GPL, because they provided source code with all of the binaries that they sent to their clients with the WM8505 SDK. He also said that the clients were informed that the SDK contained GPL licensed source code, and that consequently they would be obliged to release source. So the legal onus seems to lie squarely with Eken & other such companies.- To legally go after Eken means going after a small company based entirely out of a factory in Shenzhen, China, and I have no idea how you would go about doing this - I think gpl-violations.org has traditionally targeted larger companies with international presences.[IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE'] That's great. But maybe Harald could convince management at VIA to release the sources themselves anyway. Be good sports, convince them that freeloading off of some geeks offering to soup up hardware based on their designs is actually a good thing. And since their customers aren't doing the right thing, maybe they should. I just don't get. Why all the secrecy? This is a LOW-END part, and there's plenty of competition already. It's not like anyone is going to clone it.

· Registered
246 Posts
scooter66;16956]That said:
This is the angle I went for. Harald sympathised personally but told me Wondermedia aren't interested. Everyone feel free to email them yourselves though ([email protected])' date=' also Wondermedia ([email protected]) and Eken ([url']www.ekengroup.com/en/about/contact.asp[/url]).
scooter66;16956]Why all the secrecy? This is a LOW-END part said:
The only thing I can think is that at the moment Wondermedia charge for access to their SDK. So it's at least indirectly in their interest to keep it in closed hands, otherwise people could build devices with the WM8505 without licensing the SDK. Even if they are handing out source as Harald says, they benefit in that way if their clients don't pass it on.That said, I find it hard to believe that the margins on the SDK are so high, and the margins on the chips themselves are so low, that a strategy like that makes good business sense.[quote name='scooter66;16960]Can someone also explain why the PDFs that are circulating documenting the WM8505 aren't enough? I can't imagine the design is so dissimilar to what's been released before that other kernel drivers can't be used as a base.
You're probably right' date=' which is why in my original post I said someone could go to the effort of building a kernel from scratch. 'bushing' started on it a while back: [url']http://github.com/bushing/android_wm8505[/url]There's a few things, though:- The datasheet posted on this site is extremely vague about lots of things, my guess is "the SDK is the documentation" for a lot of it.- There's a lot of little things that you'd need to implement to get to the current kernel's status. It'd be a great learning experience, but a lot of work I think (LCD, power management, graphics acceleration are all custom and AFAIK there are no kernel sources for even similar components.)- I'm pretty unmotivated to spend lots of my own time improving the product of a company who blatantly violate GPL and shamelessly rip off open source developers.- Even with a GPL source release of the kernel that Eken currently use, there is a fair bit of extra development work to support Android 2.2. The existing kernel doesn't do double-buffering in the kernel driver, the userspace side of Android (which is not GPL) has been patched to do it, and that layer has changed a lot between 1.6 and 2.x. So that would need to be reimplemented in the kernel framebuffer driver. This is the kind of job that I would be keen to help with, if a working kernel already existed.

· Registered
51 Posts
It's a china based company. You think GPL rules bother them? They break GPL on a daily basis with 9000000 phones/devices and they break the law even by installing windows CE/Windows mobile.So, Good luck on that. We will only get source if they want to give us source.

· Premium Member
664 Posts
Hello,2.2 out my APAD (Feat achieved by fdcoder) that got a lot more memory than 1.5 origin.It's as fast as 1.5128MB 300Mhz cpu!Why not Cyanogen 6.0.1 on EKEN ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.