Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just booted into Donut on my aPad. Have not got the touchscreen to calibrate yet and USBHost is also off, so I could not really test it. But it is a promising start, I'll keep working on it.To anyone trying the same: you can boot Donut by adjusting init.rk28board and making some small changes in frameworks/base/services/jni/com_android_server_BatteryService.cpp, so that it won't crash when it can not read the battery health status.

·
Registered
198 Posts
As soon as I get some tiime I will need to attempt a build of Android. 1.6 would be a great upgrade as it would allow apps like Kindle to run.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sonichate;16062 said:
Any possibilities of a tutorial on editing fw?or point me in the right direction?
I actually thought of PM'ing X and Roger about making a collaborative wiki I can throw up on my server that's kind of the aPad Firmware Wiki, on how it's done, what's out there, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[quote name='Darexius;16092]I actually thought of PM'ing X and Roger about making a collaborative wiki I can throw up on my server that's kind of the aPad Firmware Wiki' date=' on how it's done, what's out there, etc.[/QUOTE'] well I'm more then willing to help in anyway I can.Just let me know

·
Registered
198 Posts
got the Android SDK installed and working to try to build my own kernel. I am a windows guy, so it is a little slow going, have used anything unix (linux) based since university days.But if I can write an app for my BB, with its crummy API docs, I hope I can figure this out too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oooh, so does this mean that at some point, we'll be able to run 1.6 on the aPad? I too would love to have it simply for the Kindle app

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd say a 1.6 release will definitely come, but it will probably not have accelerated video playback.Devs:Don't add the modules for sensors, it will crash on bootup. Rest works fine, though. Touchscreen registers all touches at the same position.... still have to figure out why this happens.juched: I still use the original kernel, so the modules we have will still work.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The DSP acceleration is built into the video app from Rockchip right? If that is the case, and it is built for 1.5, it should still work right! Or do we need platform drivers to support it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote name='rogerbraun;16177]I'd say a 1.6 release will definitely come' date=' but it will probably don't have accelerated video [URL=playback.Devs:Don't]playback.Devs:Don't[/URL] add the modules for sensors, it will crash on bootup. Rest works fine, though. Touchscreen registers all touches at the same position.... still have to figure out why this happens.juched: I still use the original kernel, so the modules we have will still work.[/QUOTE']Roger, one question, if accelerated video playback is out of the question, why go with 1.6 and not 2.x?I have an Archos 7, so I am very interested in learning how you guys are developing the 1.6 rom, so we can replicate that and cook something for the Archos
If having 2.x and not getting accelerated video playback means I have to re-encode my videos to a lower resolution, I can live with that hehe

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some problems with 2.x: New dalvik requires some changes in the kernel, and we can't really recompile the kernel without losing all the non open-source drivers. Also, these devices only have 128 mb ram, which is a bit small for 2.x.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote name='rogerbraun;16251]Some problems with 2.x: New dalvik requires some changes in the kernel' date=' and we can't really recompile the kernel without losing all the non open-source drivers. Also, these devices only have 128 mb ram, which is a bit small for 2.x.[/QUOTE'] Thanks for the info Roger. I am reading how to build a new ROM here http://source.android.com/porting/build_system.html trying to understand more on the subject.For what you say, even if Rockchip releases its kernel sources, a 2.x ROM would not be doable because of the drivers, am I right? Regarding the 128 mb ram, I think that with a lot of work a very basic 2.2 could be made for the aPad/Archos etc, they released some ports for the G1

·
Registered
954 Posts
Are you doing a SDK port?Wouldn't we have more functionality porting over the VIA WM8505's Android implementation? That's also ARM9, built for the same resolution and has optimizations to make up for our lack of buttons. Maybe that's just their frameworks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
They don't have kernel source. I have never tried compiling AOSP so I don't know what's involved. But at least that will give us the Home and back buttons on the pulldown. Just something to possibly look into. I wouldn't put too much priority into that. I'd think they are doing dirty ports (replacing files).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Made some quick hacks to get touchscreen and wifi working, Kindle works now, still a lot of errors. Speed is about the same as the old roms.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts