Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
NOTE: This is presented "as-is" -- please USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you have any issues with this mod, you should be able to re-flash back to stock to get back to a stable baseline.

These are v1 to v4 -- v5+ is being worked on by Mac1_131 : http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=14033.0

WHITE Models ONLY!

What this is:

A full firmware modification for the white Pandigital Novel (all versions, tmk). See the changelogs for details, as these mods have changed heavily with each revision. The main versions WILL wipe all user data, so be aware of that.

----------------------------------------------------

ver1 (7/24 based) altered firmware link: S10_08_01_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: f2ca61787dc97493edba999397f6ba23

ver2 (8/6 based) altered firmware link: S10_08_12_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 7e2e71ca01c7ecd9d5539b56f4504336

ver3 (8/20 based) altered firmware link: S10_08_27_K3_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: ec2d1481a1c462e909cdd748f829e510

ver4 (9/23 based) altered firmware link: SD_PDN_4_01_GE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: b2fffeb029e256b09a4f5c2bd4b7bd9a

ver4 supplement (run after ver4, non-destructive): SD_PDN_SUPP10_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip
md5sum: 147f58ffb54f88cd751a656da8ccf7e8

(supplement is a 4.00 / 4.01 add-on that fixes root on 4.00 and also fixes the rotation issues with both 4.00/4.01)

Note on v4 - some people have reported issues with the Marketplace, which I have not been able to replicate. I'm not sure if it's a v1 board issue and / or an issue with v4, or with the v4 supplement. I have been told that creating a new Google ID or using a different Google ID sometimes fixes the problem. You can also try this hack that has worked on other devices, such as the GTab: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=845175

ver5 (11/19 based) altered firmware and beyond: : Mac1_131 has taken over this work, which is much appreciated!

-----------------------------------------

ver1 (7/24 based) changelog: Adds the volume hack and the Google Experience Alpha. Just choose which home screen to use after the reboot, and you are in.

ver2 (8/6 based) changelog: Additionally, I added the DVM update, the root hack as as well as Clockworx's "non-ugly" Market hack. I've heard that the ZIP file name syntax doesn't work. I would suggest renaming it to "S10_08_06_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip" before putting it on your SD card

ver3 (8/20 based) changelog: I added the root hack, a stripped down GE (using the 2.1 alpha as my guide), the "non-ugly" market hack, "PSMode=CAM" for Wireless, and the notification bar hack. The DVM update is being removed as some of you didn't care for it in the last mod. To get past the initial Google screen after the first reboot: tap all four black corners clockwise (starting with the upper left) and that will bypass the setup screen. It should not reappear. Also, a video I found on this, in case you have any problems: Android Quick Tip: How to Bypass Setup Wizard

ver4 (9/23 based) changelog: Has full GE with non-ugly hack and Vending.apk October 2010 update, root hack, PSMode=CAM for wireless, notification bar, gottahavit soft buttons, 270 rotation (kind of works, crashes on some homescreens), Ubuntu font used as main font, a winhelp2002 hosts file to reduce adware, and a Cruz launcher with ability to add more icons to the homescreen. After the firmware install / first reboot, choose "home" as your homescreen, and choose it as the default if you don't want to choose after each reboot. The PDN launcher is still there and should still be accessible by accessing a PDN app in the pulldown menu.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Does this image have working terminal (with root) and the ability to install .apks from the sd?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's basically the PDN default, with the userdata.img removed and Google Experience / volume hack added. I didn't change anything else, including adding root. I might expand this out later but I just wanted something to get my PDN back to a usable state in case I screwed it up - I've been messing around with trying to get 2.1 on it, and failing miserably I might add (I'm not a developer, I'm in Systems Operations. I know just enough to be dangerous). I think that adding any other apks would require userdata.img to be added, but Google Experience adds itself to /system.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think some apks can be placed in the systemapp folder.They might be autorun on start, someone please confirm.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Does this install an alternate home? Or does it enable the default android home screen?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Default Android home screen - I think this gets added when Google Experience is added.

EDIT: I'm having issues connecting with ADB. I had this issue before I created this image - and it was one of the reasons why I created this in the first place. But, I'm starting to wonder it Google Experience messes with /system in such a way that it can screw up ADB, sometimes. Not sure yet, but just an FYI - trying to test this on another system.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have been researching how to do this as well, main goal is computer-free restores to a custom install.Would you mind sharing the process you used to make this image? I would like to build myself an image with the features and mods I would require. Of my 2 windows xp machines, one has a working adb connection, the other does not.The one that does not work had android dev installed first.The one that does work had the driver nate provided installed and connection working first, then android dev installed after.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have been researching how to do this as well, main goal is computer-free restores to a custom install.Would you mind sharing the process you used to make this image? I would like to build myself an image with the features and mods I would require. Of my 2 windows xp machines, one has a working adb connection, the other does not.The one that does not work had android dev installed first.The one that does work had the driver nate provided installed and connection working first, then android dev installed after.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name=nchntrman;27227]I have been researching how to do this as well main goal is computer-free restores to a custom install.Would you mind sharing the process you used to make this image? I would like to build myself an image with the features and mods I would require. Of my 2 windows xp machines, one has a working adb connection, the other does not.The one that does not work had android dev installed first.The one that does work had the driver nate provided installed and connection working first, then android dev installed after.[/QUOTE] I have a pretty good solution coming as well (that doesn't require linux), in a few minutes. I'll be posting a new thread in Development once it is ready.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the quick and dirty -- I use Ubuntu Lucid x64 as my main PC, keep in mind.- Installed unyaffs, which is used to extract these PDN firmware .img files. Link: http://code.google.com/p/unyaffs/downloads/list- Installed mkfs.yaffs2, which is used to create the .img file. Link: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/index.html (x86 and ARM version). The ARM version I call "mkfs.yaffs2.arm".- If I want to pull /system from my working PDN, I would do this:./adb push mkfs.yaffs2.arm /data/misc/mkfs.yaffs2./adb shellcd /data/misc./mkfs.yaffs2 /system system.img exit./adb pull /data/misc/system.img ./system.imgThis basically adds the ARM version to the PDN, runs it to create an .img of the PDN system, and then pulls it down to my local PC.- Once I have that system.img file, I extract the PDN firmware to a temp folder, then replace their system.img with mine. I don't know if the MD5SUM's are required, but I've update those as well. Then, I compress that temp location to a ZIP file with a similar naming structure to what Pandigital uses, I add to my SD card and the rest you know.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
OUTSTANDING! You guys are fucking geniuses. I've got nothing but pre-intel macs here, 6 of 'em. Bricked the hard-drive of an old G3 iMac trying to turn it into a linux box to do the hacks ... let's just say, this old dog is slow on the new tricks. Looks like we're on our way to making a platform independent way to turn this little gem (I got 2 at BBB just after the recal) into a real poor-man's iPad. Awesome. I got one for my daughter's B-day in two weeks and haven't played too much with mine cuz I don't want her to have a clue what she's getting. I was hoping by the time I would sit out in the open with this toy you guys would find a bullet-proof way for me to make this thing do what I want it to do, and ... Ta Da! Nice job, keep tweaking.

Reactions: mrsburnout

·
Registered
67 Posts
Please forgive a noob question but...Installed the mod and it went nicely. However, although I can get to the market, I can't seem to download and/or install anything. I keep getting the message "download was unsuccessful". I have an account and I've checked allow 3rd pparty software, etc.I'm trying to install a file manager (Atro or Linda File Manager so I can install apk's - no luck

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
My image just adds the Market icon, but you still need to enable downloads. There's a big thread on how to do that:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2729-ugly-hack-to-working-market/
Basically, there's no Android ID in the image, so the Market doesn't actually work. You'd need to retrieve one via a phone or the emulator, and then import that ID into the PDN to correct it.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to get a 2.0 (or 2.1, or 2.2) emu id, so we can get complete market access? I tried to get an image from a 2.0 VD, but things got wonky and I had to go to bed or risk being the victim of domestic violence.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name=lawman;30938]Has anyone figured out how to get a 2.0 (or 2.1 or 2.2) emu id, so we can get complete market access? I tried to get an image from a 2.0 VD, but things got wonky and I had to go to bed or risk being the victim of domestic violence.[/QUOTE] What do you mean by "complete market access"?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Some users have noted that the market "hides" apps that are not intended for a particular version of android/device. This means that our android 1.6 id apparently does not give us access to all apps on the marketplace. I haven't confirmed that this user is right about the issue, but it makes sense to me that running a 2.0 device we should find a way to get a 2.0 device id, if only for compatability and speed reasons.http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...sion/3914-fully-functional-google-market.html

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I don't know if it would work, but maybe try changing the API level in /system/build.prop in the emulator to 7 (which = Android 2.1) before generating an Android ID. It's lazy and ugly, but it might work

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
roebeet:I used the firmare flash zip you made and it worked like a charm, thank you. I'm now getting a Google Experience as advertised.I do have a request, for me and anyone else who doesn't have a shiny new intel mac or a windows/linux machine. Without buying a new computer, we're stuck, unable to create an emulator/virtual phone to access the market as Clockworx describes (awsome) or install out of market apps using the Consolidated installer script Enjoys1 wrote (nice job) since we cannot run adb or use the Android SDK.If you could recompile that firmware zip with some kind of app installer that could work by just accessing a downloaded app from the SD it would open this thing up to even more users, like me, who wanted a poor man's iPad, but are, well ... too poor to buy a new computer to hack it.I see there are a lot of 3rd party apps that claim to be able to install other apps but I have no idea if they will work on the PD or actually do installs as advertised.Here are a few, we only need one of them and we can (hopefully) take it from there. You folks in this forum probably have a favorite or can recommend what we need or should stay away from.ASTRO File ManagerAppcontrolAppManager ES File Explorer If it can't be done, oh well, I'm sure I'll get access to a better machine sometime in the future, in the meantime I think I still have the best eReader and handheld web surfer/email reader you can get anywhere for under $150 bucks!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From my own limited knowledge of Android, there's a /system folder (which is the system.img in my f/w hack) and a /data folder (which corresponds to the userdata.img in the PDN firmware ZIP). The latter holds most of the user-installed applications, whereas the former holds the "system" apps including the Google Experience Alpha / market app.With that in mind, the only way I know how to add most of the non-Google apps is to include a userdata.img, but then that would wipe out your current apps - so it's a catch-22. Someone else mentioned that perhaps there's a way to get these apps into /system instead, but I have yet to figure that out. When (if?) PDN releases a new firmware update, I plan to re-create this with one missing item I can add which is the su hack. That would at least remove one extra step when rebuilding.

1 - 20 of 578 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.