Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,Has anyone managed to flash the tablet with an alternate OS, not meaning the WinCE or Android but like Ubuntu, MeeGo, Gentoo etc?I was looking into the files that come with the firmware zip file, and it seems that flashing alternate OS's should be too hard to do. The main concern basically is to create an ubifs image and rename it to ubi.img, then moving it to the SD card. One just has to make sure that the main "init" program is located at /init, so at root of the filesystem. This can be of course changed by hacking the mmcflash.bin with a hex editor.The kernel from Android could be used to boot up other OS's, I guess, although I can't say for sure as I haven't seen the source code with the witstech patches on it.Any information on this would be much appreciated?LoCusF

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some people are working on Ubuntu and Meego (thread) and some other OSes I haven't heard of like Angstrom. Without source from Witstech it might be tricky though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Aren't drivers a problem on any of those platforms? Wouldn't we either need to write custom drivers (which I understand to be very difficult and have poor performance) or get the driver source code from Wits?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
omnikai;52677 said:
Aren't drivers a problem on any of those platforms? Wouldn't we either need to write custom drivers (which I understand to be very difficult and have poor performance) or get the driver source code from Wits?
It shouldn't be as almost all of the hardware is supported in Linux kernel, though I haven't even tested MeeGo yet. (I don't even have the device yet, actually
).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't even have the device yet, actually
I'm hoping things will pick up a little once more people have the device
I'd love to learn how to compile this stuff myself (I'm very tech savvy and took a few coding classes, but I've never had the time to really get into Android/Java).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.