Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
NOTE: THIS IS FOR THE 9 INCH NOVEL, NOT the 7 inch device! Please do NOT attempt this on the 7 inch device!!!!!

A special thanks to Krash for all the troubleshooting, with her device!!!

Based off the Canadian Kobo-based firmware, but altered for use with the B&N firmware:

OPDN9 1.3 mod Link: http://www.mediafire...75wzt1xca171iad
md5sum: e766e24fd837ea779edd3399a06aeb50
(updated 03/31/11)

03/31/2011 note: This will be my last mod for the BPDN 9 inch, as my device is being returned. Apologies!

Moderator Edit - 09/19/13 :

Mediafire has been on a FW removing spree ever since google only authorizes apk downloads from their playstore, so ...
a couple alternate mirrors for this FW are still available in posts : #284 or #285

Reminder: Use of these files are not supported by OP and at your own risk. Good luck. ~mrsburnout

//edit

Changelog:

(1.3) Adds the Market Updater. Has one caveat, please read the Caveats below!
(1.2) Fixed init.rc errors, added new WPDN apps (Games and ES Task Manager), added Amazon AppStore as a user app.
(1.1) Removed the non-working user guides.
(1.0) First release with B&N software.

----------------------------------------------------------

So what is this?

This is a mod based off the Canadian 9 inch BPDN firmware, with the B&N firmware added onto it. It is "mostly stock", with the following alternations:

- ADB access enabled by default
- Rooted
- Android Market (non-ugly hack), Gmail, News and Weather
- Titanium Backup preinstalled, with compatible Busybox version.
- Removed the "PC Mode" screen (thanks Krash!)
- Updated Spica drivers
- Adds the Jorte Calendar app to replace the problematic stock app.
- Patched for the "Droid Dream" malware vulnerability.
- Adds a few miscellaneous user apps (which you can remove)
- Slatedroid watermark in the "About Novel" section.

ADE was tested against my local library, with no issues seen. I was able to loan out an ebook from Overdrive, drop it into ADE and then connect to the PDN and copy it over. And it shows up on the PDN's ADE app and is viewable. B&N app was also tested against my own account, with no issues seen.

Instructions:

- Pre-Req: Delete the .adobe-digital-editions folder in your PD_NOVEL drive (especially if you're upgrading from a previous Kobo release). It might be needed for the B&N app to function (keep in mind that all the ADE books will be wiped, if you do this - but that's probably required, anyway).

- Extract the polaris_update.dat to the root of your internal memory, or the external sd card. The external sd is recommended so that way you can alter the file and re-try if you bork your device.

- Shutdown the device, then hold the power and volume up keys for about six seconds, then release. The firmware update should take about 1-2 minutes to complete. On the first boot, just click on either app for the SDK setup (this is a one time pop-up).

Caveats / Issues:

- Although the Kobo app is also included, I'm not sure that it's working. The app runs but downloads don't seem to work. I think it shared at least one of the same apks with the B&N app, so that might be the reason (I opted for B&N over Kobo).

- In build 1.3, there is a Market Updater. However, one caveat -- you need to download a free app ASAP for the Market hack to "take". If not, you'll get a "Server Error" within 3-5 minutes. If you miss the window, just go into Settings -- Applications, delete the Market app (which is just an updated Market) and re-try the Market again -- it should work.

- Calendar does NOT work, so I replaced it with the Jorte calendar app, from the Market. Google sync does not work on Jorte (it seems to be a framework issue - no apps I've tried seem to work with Google Calendar).

- Like the BPDN 7 inch device, these are full updates only. There's no way to make supplements, tmk.

================================

References:

US-based firmware dump (user data, system and init's): http://www.mediafire...zfhkrf7vasxsh0f

Official Kobo firmware location: http://mirror.support.pandigital.net:8080/support/Products/PandigitalNovel/R9T2BLK1FR/FW/

Screenshot of 1.0:

================================

Archives:

OPDN9 1.2 mod Link: http://www.mediafire...6eqo0zsjqteqy5q
md5sum: 2f5bf608137e33b3790d2f11c562f1b9
(updated 03/28/11)
OPDN9 1.1 mod Link: http://www.mediafire...n5k10dsgxa7x2gb
md5sum: b03e3db271f6e6594855c41ed671aeec
(updated 03/08/11)
OPDN9 1.0 mod Link: http://www.mediafire...uee1zwdj9wy01jz
md5sum: 20cd65bb7664780dbb890cbd29ac273e
(updated 03/07/11)
OPDN9 ALPHA1 (Basic Gapps) mod Link: http://www.mediafire...m8a2794g6do70hn
md5sum: dcaebf7f93a4029a5b348b0063db40ea
(updated 03/05/11)
OPDN9 TEST2 (Market access) mod Link: http://www.mediafire...y60ysim2yex525t
md5sum: dee2ef95460a7cb1284a5214e5fcc4a4
(updated 03/04/11)
OPDN9 TEST1 (No Gapps) mod Link: http://www.mediafire...3miz1z1hyj78hqt
md5sum: 080c1231b0c18e3b9ae780614fb12371
(updated 03/03/11)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Something I would like for you to figure out is why the Calendar app crashes after putting the market on. I was deleting it but I found out if you delete the Calendar app it then Accounts and sync crashes. I've tried other versions of Calendar but they all crash.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mediafire is working now...
Found an issue, so a TEST2 will probably be coming. I needed to fix /data/app permissions and I might just intergrate that with a base Gapps version if I can get it working.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Okay, I think I'll just wait for the new version then.
BUMP for Alpha1 -- uploading it, now. Gmail is fixed and pulled the "PC Mode" (SO glad that annoying screen is gone, now). It's now an "Alpha" since most things are working, sans the Calendar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys. I have installed the alpha rom and it's working well so far. The Market app works too! I actually find the tablet works snappier. Could it be the new Spica driver? But anyway, good work guys. That rom is awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Thanks guys. I have installed the alpha rom and it's working well so far. The Market app works too! I actually find the tablet works snappier. Could it be the new Spica driver? But anyway, good work guys. That rom is awesome!
This is official then? We have a mod with a working market for the 9 inch. Very big news. Awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great mod.

The only thing I would suggest is to delete the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk from the /System/Apps folder, as the Pandital has no phone capability but those Phone related services sucks tbe battery very quickly.

I did mine with root explorer, it seems working great so far.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Great mod.

The only thing I would suggest is to delete the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk from the /System/Apps folder, as the Pandital has no phone capability but those Phone related services sucks tbe battery very quickly.

I did mine with root explorer, it seems working great so far.
I don't think we can, at least going on my R10 experience. It's needed for adding the Market. When I tried doing that on my R10 and then did a reset / Market re-try, it was not a pretty sight. I'll give it a try, however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think we can, at least going on my R10 experience. It's needed for adding the Market. When I tried doing that on my R10 and then did a reset / Market re-try, it was not a pretty sight. I'll give it a try, however.
I am using your Alpha1 firmware, my test result is positive so far. I didn't delete those two modules instead I renamed them:

Phone.apk (renamed to "Phone.ap-disabled") and TelephonyProvider.apk (to "TelephonyProvider.ap-disabled").

With renaming method, you might get errors when renaming Phone.apk file, just ignore it and do a power recycle. And everything will work better after restart. Market, Youtube, Gmail, ... everything worked so far. (Plus, better battery life:)

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Cant we just download the nook for pc app to have B&N
Nook for Android is a nightmare filled piece of bloatware that requires a special hack to get working ... and isn't worth it. Just an awful piece of code.

There's a section on the Nook Fix in the wiki and if you search for it here on the forums. But it's a PITA to install and sucks all your memory. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I'm going to try a rebuild the B&N app from the US firmware, but wanted this stable, first. The main issue (and I think the ONLY issue at the moment) is the problematic Calendar app. If I can fix that, this can go 1.00. Maybe this will be "Kobo 1.00" with a a "B&N 1.00" to be worked on later.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well guys I'm out of the picture for now. I was wondering why my battery was draining so fast and when I read about the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk renaming I thought I would give it a try because in my trials with terminander I had deleted them before with no problem. I renamed Phone.apk with adb, the Phone app crashed which I knew would happen but before I got to rename the TelephonyProvider file the PDN turned off completely and now it's dead. The light doesn't even come on when it's plugged in. I don't know what happened because I can't imagine it was just because I renamed a file. Maybe it had something to do with adb, who knows. So I'm going to return it to BB&B. Online it says they are out of stock on the 9" and they don't even list the 7" ones anymore. So will just get my money back. After that I don't know if I want to mess with Pandigital anymore, they are such a PITA. All I can say is be careful what you do to this temperamental machine.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well guys I'm out of the picture for now. I was wondering why my battery was draining so fast and when I read about the Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk renaming I thought I would give it a try because in my trials with terminander I had deleted them before with no problem. I renamed Phone.apk with adb, the Phone app crashed which I knew would happen but before I got to rename the TelephonyProvider file the PDN turned off completely and now it's dead. The light doesn't even come on when it's plugged in. I don't know what happened because I can't imagine it was just because I renamed a file. Maybe it had something to do with adb, who knows. So I'm going to return it to BB&B. Online it says they are out of stock on the 9" and they don't even list the 7" ones anymore. So will just get my money back. After that I don't know if I want to mess with Pandigital anymore, they are such a PITA. All I can say is be careful what you do to this temperamental machine.
noooooooooooo
I'm just testing a 1.00 release (B&N is working, but no calendar -I gave up on that).

Give me a shout if you want any advise on a replacement - I might be able to point you in the right direction. If you don't mind a 7 inch device, the Nook Color might be a good fit, and if you want a 10 inch device there are several options out there - if you don't mind a ChiPad, a ZT-180 is about the same price but has a Telechips CPU (so it's a litle faster than this PDN).

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is strange, I atually done it a couple of times without problem (with Roebee's Alpha1). I did get phone.apk crash when renaming it, but that is expected, after reboot, everything works fine.

Try to hold the power button for about 6~7 seconds, see if you PBDN will come back to life.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is strange, I atually done it a couple of times without problem (with Roebee's Alpha1). I did get phone.apk crash when renaming it, but that is expected, after reboot, everything works fine.

Try to hold the power button for about 6~7 seconds, see if you PBDN will come back to life.
Or longer -- I think mine was frozen at least once and I had to hold it for at least 10-15 seconds to get it to reboot.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.