Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ainol have 2 new models of Novo 8. This looks like some sort of bogus attempt at fighting with ipad mini which a lot of Rk3188/A31 chips based tabs are trying to fight.

But ainol decided to stick with ATM7029 which is the weakest among all the quadcore processors.

Novo 8 Dream - http://www.ainol.com...fo&productid=64
is a basic set using non-IPS screen.

Novo 8 Discovery - http://www.ainol.com...fo&productid=65
is a higher end using IPS with slimmer body.

Anyone got sample set already? Can review whether this tablet is worth bringing in? I don't feel good about this since no threads are created for this tablets and ATM7029 is just not on par with other quadcore processors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone got sample set already? Can review whether this tablet is worth bringing in? I don't feel good about this since no threads are created for this tablets and ATM7029 is just not on par with other quadcore processors.
I've just ordered a Discovery so I'll post my findings on here for any potential purchasers

I've got it to replace my Crystal II Quad-core which was unbelievably laggy on 1st boot and Chrome, but worked O.K for games and videos. I only got the crystal because I thought it had an IPS screen and would make a good upgrade from my Elf II, tbh I wish I hadn't bothered. I believe the Discovery uses the same CPU as the Crystal II so it'll be interesting to compare the two.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've just ordered a Discovery so I'll post my findings on here for any potential purchasers

I've got it to replace my Crystal II Quad-core which was unbelievably laggy on 1st boot and Chrome, but worked O.K for games and videos. I only got the crystal because I thought it had an IPS screen and would make a good upgrade from my Elf II, tbh I wish I hadn't bothered. I believe the Discovery uses the same CPU as the Crystal II so it'll be interesting to compare the two.
it's all about the firmware man. If it's not optimized the tablet will feel really laggy. So if crystal 2 was bad for you then dream model will be as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
77 Posts
In fact, i have tried Dream today and writing this from Discovery. Performancewise both seem acceptable, but not much more (it is the level of dual-core amlogic device). Both are larger than chuwi v88, heavier and produce more heat. Build quality is not the stellar but seems sturdy enough (chuwi has its own build flaws,so no victor here). Screen of Dream is a tn-film type with color inversion on large viewing angles, but its orientation is such to minimize the effect ( You have to look at it from 'above' or from 'right' in portrait orientation to have colors inverted. It also has a bit washed colors and rather low highest brightness. Anyway, this model has rather cloudy future as seller says, as ainol has no screens for it. Discovery has more pleasant ips screen but it differs from the one of v88, being colder colorwise. Discovery also has a bit better wifi than v88. Other issue with Discovery is a constant hissing noise in the headphones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered a Aino descovery,and awaiting the arrival~
I'm not playing games,only reading and Browsing the web with the Tablet。I only hope it has a good battery life and nice built quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
it's all about the firmware man. If it's not optimized the tablet will feel really laggy. So if crystal 2 was bad for you then dream model will be as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
I went for the discovery, not the dream and it's absolutely brilliant! Seems to use a lot better quality materials, feels very solid, the IPS screen is great and there is no lag on Chrome or games that I had with the Crystal. The only issue is some background noise in the headphones (I assume because they have relocated right next to the power adaptor input) that you can't notice when watching films or listening to music.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the problem i have with my novo 8 discover, that is, when i use power dc in and let it charge and work at the same time, the tablet crash, i cant work anymore, everything is working bad, it freeze when touch and open multiple touch at the same time,
but when i pull off DC or power, everything will be ok then, i dont know what is the problem, can anyone help?
i am looking for a better firmware now, but i got no clue

can anyone please help me to find a stable firmware for novo 8 discover, it is qual core cpu, the one ainol promote on its website, i think it is owl ..
and by the way antutu is not running and most game crashing, this is because those programs detect tablet as rooted, but i didn't rooted this device, any idea? thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts