Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard from Ainol that all new NOVO 8's will be shipping with a larger battery and pre-installed Marketplace! This is in response to just about every owners complaints about the poor battery life of the original NOVO 8...no better than 2.5 hours with wifi enabled,or around 4-4.5 hours with wifi off. The new battery has a reported(from actual users)life of 3.5 hours with wifi enabled, and over 5+ hours with wifi off...a nice improvement!! For many, this was the reason they didnt buy this tablet, and Ainol knew this. Rather than ignore this(which so many tablet manufacturers do,unfortunately), they took the initiative and placed a larger battery in their flagship android tablet, making a well made tablet all the more desirable. Not having a Marketplace also was addressed at the same time, all around its a nice one-two punch, eliminating the two biggest problems at the same time
If you were on the fence on buying the NOVO 8, now there's no reason not to....it really is a fine tablet, with excellent hardware and a good company behind it, you really cant go wrong here!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you know what the capacity of the new battery is? The "old" NOVA8 had a 3600 mAh I believe? And where can I buy the new one?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I found two different versions of this tablet: one with a 3600 mAh (2 x 1800 mAh? - I also found a site which said it had a 1800 mAh battery) battery and one with 4000 mAh battery (2 x 2000 mAh?) My guess is that the 4000 mAh is the new version of this tablet. I just ordered the 4000 mAh one. I'll post my findings about the battery as soon as I receive the tablet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know what the capacity of the new battery is? The "old" NOVA8 had a 3600 mAh I believe? And where can I buy the new one?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I found two different versions of this tablet: one with a 3600 mAh (2 x 1800 mAh? - I also found a site which said it had a 1800 mAh battery) battery and one with 4000 mAh battery (2 x 2000 mAh?) My guess is that the 4000 mAh is the new version of this tablet. I just ordered the 4000 mAh one. I'll post my findings about the battery as soon as I receive the tablet.
what is the current size of the battery?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks in advance!

The old battery was a paltry 1800mah(actually 2x1800mah,but it was wired so only 1800mah was useable...what a mess up by Ainol!)The new ones have a 4000mah battery,and it has much better life because of it.You ordered the right one
I know for a fact that www.mp4nation.net will have the newest ones in stock as of the end of this week,that was confirmed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The old battery was a paltry 1800mah(actually 2x1800mah,but it was wired so only 1800mah was useable...what a mess up by Ainol!)The new ones have a 4000mah battery,and it has much better life because of it.You ordered the right one
I know for a fact that www.mp4nation.net will have the newest ones in stock as of the end of this week,that was confirmed.
Great to hear that! I just received an e-mail that they are processing my order. Man, I can't wait!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This needs to be corrected. There's not a chance in hell that the new ones have a 4000mAh battery. The MID would need to be about a centimeter thicker and have a huge space for two batteries. The original ones are 1800maH x 2 which are connected in series to give 7.4 volts. It's not fair to call this an Ainol mess up. The MID needs 7.4 volts to run and you can only get that with two batteries in series. Ainol had no choice.

When in series you don't add 1800mah+1800mAh to get 3600maH. Just like you don't add 2000mah+2000mah 3.7 volt batteries and call it 4000mah. When in series it's gonna be 2000mAh at 7.4 volts. It's basic electronics at work here. Apples to apples comparison would imply that the new Ainols only have an upgrade to 2000mAh at 7.4 volts from 1800mAh at 7.4volts. A pretty lame upgrade. If these really were double the battery size I think most sane people would expect more than a 1hour of extra battery time.

You can only add the mAh ratings when the batteries are connected in PARALLEL!!!!

The sales talk has really got to fix itself here. They sellers really have to stop adding battery mAh together in their product descriptions when batteries are series connected. People are just repeating this sort of misinformation and it's borderline stupid....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This needs to be corrected. There's not a chance in hell that the new ones have a 4000mAh battery. The MID would need to be about a centimeter thicker and have a huge space for two batteries. The original ones are 1800maH x 2 which are connected in series to give 7.4 volts. It's not fair to call this an Ainol mess up. The MID needs 7.4 volts to run and you can only get that with two batteries in series. Ainol had no choice.

When in series you don't add 1800mah+1800mAh to get 3600maH. Just like you don't add 2000mah+2000mah 3.7 volt batteries and call it 4000mah. When in series it's gonna be 2000mAh at 7.4 volts. It's basic electronics at work here. Apples to apples comparison would imply that the new Ainols only have an upgrade to 2000mAh at 7.4 volts from 1800mAh at 7.4volts. A pretty lame upgrade. If these really were double the battery size I think most sane people would expect more than a 1hour of extra battery time.

You can only add the mAh ratings when the batteries are connected in PARALLEL!!!!

The sales talk has really got to fix itself here. They sellers really have to stop adding battery mAh together in their product descriptions when batteries are series connected. People are just repeating this sort of misinformation and it's borderline stupid....
Then instead of insulting people,educate us.You obviously know more about this than I do,and I have no problems at all in correcting it...just can the insults or I will have you reported on here,that sort of attitude makes you look like a child.Act like an adult and I will continue talking to you,otherwise,this conversation is ended here and now.If you have something useful to add,just say it,and I will make sure that information gets passed on to this and several other sites. THAT is the only way to stop the spread of ignorance,not insults.
To start, allow me to thank you for the information that you already provided,if you can elaborate on it,I will post it to other sites to clear up any confusion already done with clear, well researched info. The NOVO 8's battery time increase is over an hour more with wifi enabled,which to me is a pretty serious increase, and I really dont care what the battery size is because of this.Its irrelevant.Longer usage times are relevant, and all that will matter to anyone using the NOVO 8.And no,I'm not a seller,just a nice guy who just happened to be an early adopter of a mighty fine tablet with one big flaw.The battery life. I knew this going in, and still love this tablet, its screen and other hardware are top notch, with a nice balance of power to price. The fact that the factory saw fit to fix the battery problem,even if it isnt optimal, says alot about the integrity of the company. They got me as a customer again, thats for sure

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah... Thx for the heads up! No need to shout, though. So the new one is 2000 mAh then and not 1800. Small increase, but still better then nothing. I am expecting the tablet in a day of two. My hands are itching...!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah... Thx for the heads up! No need to shout, though. So the new one is 2000 mAh then and not 1800. Small increase, but still better then nothing. I am expecting the tablet in a day of two. My hands are itching...!
The salesmen need to tell us both the voltage and then the mAh value when they give us specs on the battery supply. Otherwise they will try to make their stuff look the best even if it is misleading or wrong. It's like the funny business with adding the DSP and graphics core freqencies together or calling that combination a dual-core processor. I take back my statement saying it is borderline stupid. It is actually fully and undeniably stupid.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The new battery is 11.1% bigger (more watts x hour) than previous

But if this 11.1% is equal to add 1 hour of usage, there is something strange.

1 hour with 200mAh at 7,4V is equal to 1.48Wh and with this power consumption new Novo 8 should have 10 hours of battery life (and old Novo 8 should have 9 hours).

So if the old Ainol Novo 8 has 3.5 hours of battery life and the new Novo 8 has 4.5 hours of battery life then the new battery isn't the only thing that has been changed.

With the above supposed battery duration result that:
Old Novo 8 has a medium power consumption of 3.81Wh
New Novo 8 has a medium power consumption of 3.29Wh

So new Novo 8 has a bigger battery plus a better power consumption otherwise it is impossible the get 1 hour more with only 200mAh more capacity

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The new battery is 11.1% bigger (more watts x hour) than previous

But if this 11.1% is equal to add 1 hour of usage, there is something strange.

1 hour with 200mAh at 7,4V is equal to 1.48Wh and with this power consumption new Novo 8 should have 10 hours of battery life (and old Novo 8 should have 9 hours).

So if the old Ainol Novo 8 has 3.5 hours of battery life and the new Novo 8 has 4.5 hours of battery life then the new battery isn't the only thing that has been changed.

With the above supposed battery duration result that:
Old Novo 8 has a medium power consumption of 3.81Wh
New Novo 8 has a medium power consumption of 3.29Wh

So new Novo 8 has a bigger battery plus a better power consumption otherwise it is impossible the get 1 hour more with only 200mAh more capacity
Time to put this to rest:
Go here for a tear down of the latest NOVO 8's.Now with 2 x 1900mah batteries.
TEAR DOWN OF NEWEST NOVO 8

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The salesmen need to tell us both the voltage and then the mAh value when they give us specs on the battery supply. Otherwise they will try to make their stuff look the best even if it is misleading or wrong. It's like the funny business with adding the DSP and graphics core freqencies together or calling that combination a dual-core processor.
I will second that. "Fuzzy" specs was part of the reason I got into selling tablets. I got sick of having to spend hours digging up accurate info on devices I was trying to buy for myself... It is frustrating as all get out when you can't trust what you read about a device. I was unaware of the "dual battery" fiasco not always meaning you could add the two capacities together. Luckily I have never sold any dual-battery devices...

However, I am getting the Meiying Phantom M11 in this week to test out and it is a dual 2500MaH tablet and is always advertised as 5000mAh. I compared this with other tablets of the same type (chipset/screen size) that advertise 4000Mah and assumed that the dual 2500MaH was superior. Now I don't know
. Anyhow, I would like to be able to give the proper specs to my customers. If anyone knows anything specific about the Phantom in regards to the battery life/power consumption (3.6 volts or 7.4 volts??) I would greatly appreciate it. I have "googled" high and low and been all over Alibaba and other seller's websites. No one has this spec.

Anyhow, to hell with screwy specs. I am also frustrated with it
. Why can't they just give accurate specs. 90% of consumers don't even pay attention to the numbers anyhow... it would be nice if those of us who sell them though could give accurate advice and comparisons on what to buy...

Just thought I would throw my rant in there.
Against the market in general (not anyone here of course lol)

Cheers,

Roman

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
However, I am getting the Meiying Phantom M11 in this week to test out and it is a dual 2500MaH tablet and is always advertised as 5000mAh. I compared this with other tablets of the same type (chipset/screen size) that advertise 4000Mah and assumed that the dual 2500MaH was superior. Now I don't know
. Anyhow, I would like to be able to give the proper specs to my customers. If anyone knows anything specific about the Phantom in regards to the battery life/power consumption (3.6 volts or 7.4 volts??)
Yes, that is very good battery capacity compared to other tablets. Works out to 5000 mAh. Other 7 & 8" tablets have 3000-4000 mAh batteries.

Also, battery should run at 3.7V just by looking at the 5V adapter. ie, adapter does not have enough voltage to charge a 7.4V battery; would have to be 9V or higher.

Meiying M11 Adapter (exact same to Wopad i7):
AC100-240V, 50/60Hz, DC 5V/2A

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My supplier told me that the power adapter is a 9 volt.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My supplier told me that the power adapter is a 9 volt.
Ok, but 3 different sellers on AliExpress say 5 volt. One of them also says 4.7V battery but probably typo and should say 3.7V. ie, those specs on Aliexpress seem copied from the tablet maker website but not sure the URL for Meiying so I cannot confirm who is right. If 9V charger then 7.4V battery.

Charger's voltage is always higher than battery voltage (to push electricity into the battery) and very close (for slow charge to make battery last). ie, 5V - 3.7V = 1.3V difference; 9V - 7.4V = 1.6V diff.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Ok, but 3 different sellers on AliExpress say 5 volt. One of them also says 4.7V battery but probably typo and should say 3.7V. ie, those specs on Aliexpress seem copied from the tablet maker website but not sure the URL for Meiying so I cannot confirm who is right. If 9V charger then 7.4V battery.

Charger's voltage is always higher than battery voltage (to push electricity into the battery) and very close (for slow charge to make battery last). ie, 5V - 3.7V = 1.3V difference; 9V - 7.4V = 1.6V diff.
I have my device, the charge is a 9v 2.5amp. I will say this though, battery life is EXCELLENT thus far. I got 15 hours total yesterday and a fair amount of use during that time. Yesterday, someone informed me of the excellent program, ELIXIR 2, which records your uptime (which is JUST USAGE!!! and is awesome for that) as well as your "real uptime" which is usage + sleep. This is INVALUABLE for me as i can now get very accurate real world battery life projections for people. I am interested to know how much of my 15 hours yesterday was use

Cheers and thanks for all the info. I wouldn't be surprised if the Meiying is indeed still using the lower voltage chipset even though it has a 9v charge. i know it has "intelligent" charging because I can see through the right speaker grill a "blue light" that comes one when it is plugged in and turns red when it is fully charged. It also takes quite a while to get a "full" charge so I think it "trickle charges" the last 10 - 15%.

Thanks!

Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts