Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Novel one week ago after having two Nooks that developed e-ink display issues. I took a gamble not knowing if the PDN supported books through the Overdrive service from my library like the Sony readers and the Nook that expire after three weeks. I was able to open Overdrive files after manually moving the files from the "Digital Edition" folder to the "ebooks" folder.This morning I tried out the new 0718 firmware and was unable to open the files. Luckily I was able to find the 0704 firmware and when back to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ralph Kuhn;22692 said:
This morning I tried out the new 0718 firmware and was unable to open the files. Luckily I was able to find the 0704 firmware and when back to it.
Here's a possible solution for anyone having issues opening/transferring Overdrive eBooks to their device *after running a firmware update*. On a hunch I had a feeling that the device ID or something else related to the authorization of the device changed when the new firmware was applied (I noticed something fishy the other day when a new Kindle device ID appeared on my Amazon account after the upgrade so this seemed reasonable).I decided to force Digital Editions to re-authorize my Novel.To achieve this:1) Shutdown Digital Editions2) Connect your novel up to a PC and open the PD_NOVEL drive from Windows file explorer (or whatever file explorer is appropriate to your OS)* Make sure that file explorer is set to show hidden files & folders. Under Vista to accomplish this open any file explorer window, hit the left ALT key (to display your standard menu). Select Tools->Folder Options..., Select the View tab and then make sure that the radio button for "Hidden files and folders" is set to "Show hidden files and folders"* Make sure that you turn off the option to "hide protected operating system files" in file explorer. Under Vista to accomplish this open any file explorer window, hit the left ALT key (to display your standard menu). Select Tools->Folder Options..., Select the View tab and then uncheck the option named "hide protected operating system files (recommended)"3) Open the .adobe-digital-editions directory4) Delete the file named "activation.xml" (this is normally a hidden system file so it won't appear if you're hiding system files - see step 2 to enable viewing of hidden files)5) Restart Digital EditionsAt this point Digital Editions should say it found a new device and will ask you to authorize it. Once I did I found that I was able to transfer files to the device again

·
Registered
15 Posts
[quote name='Vahalas;22878]Here's a possible solution for anyone having issues opening/transferring Overdrive eBooks to their device *after running a firmware update*. On a hunch I had a feeling that the device ID or something else related to the authorization of the device changed when the new firmware was applied (I noticed something fishy the other day when a new Kindle device ID appeared on my Amazon account after the upgrade so this seemed reasonable).I decided to force Digital Editions to re-authorize my Novel.To achieve [URL=this:1)]this:1)[/URL] Shutdown Digital Editions2) Connect your novel up to a PC and open the PD_NOVEL drive from Windows file explorer (or whatever file explorer is appropriate to your OS)* Make sure that file explorer is set to show hidden files & folders. Under Vista to accomplish this open any file explorer window' date=' hit the left ALT key (to display your standard menu). Select Tools->Folder Options..., Select the View tab and then make sure that the radio button for "Hidden files and folders" is set to "Show hidden files and folders"* Make sure that you turn off the option to "hide protected operating system files" in file explorer. Under Vista to accomplish this open any file explorer window, hit the left ALT key (to display your standard menu). Select Tools->Folder Options..., Select the View tab and then uncheck the option named "hide protected operating system files (recommended)"3) Open the .adobe-digital-editions directory4) Delete the file named "activation.xml" (this is normally a hidden system file so it won't appear if you're hiding system files - see step 2 to enable viewing of hidden files)5) Restart Digital EditionsAt this point Digital Editions should say it found a new device and will ask you to authorize it. Once I did I found that I was able to transfer files to the device again[/QUOTE'] I also found this solution to work. In addition to reauthorizing the PDN in Adobe Digital Editions, I deleted the books already on the Novel and transferred them again from my PC. They open in the Adobe ebooks app. But it is true that you can no longer put DRM books in the ebooks folder and have them open using the reader app associated with the library, as they did in the 7-04 firmware. Trying this I now get a message asking for name and credit card number to unlock the books. I should mention that a free book from Project Gutenberg worked fine when put in the ebooks folder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote name='balineseplease;22911]I also found this solution to work. In addition to reauthorizing the PDN in Adobe Digital Editions' date=' I deleted the books already on the Novel and transferred them again from my PC. They open in the Adobe ebooks app. But it is true that you can no longer put DRM books in the ebooks folder and have them open using the reader app associated with the library, as they did in the 7-04 firmware. Trying this I now get a message asking for name and credit card number to unlock the books. I should mention that a free book from Project Gutenberg worked fine when put in the ebooks folder.[/QUOTE'] What do you mean by "Adobe ebooks app"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please help a newbie. I can no longer transfer any DRM protected content to the Novel using ADE. This includes Overdrive books as well as ebooks I own. ADE gives a message saying "No permission to copy document here." The problem started after installing the 8-6 PDN firmware update, but I guess it's possible that I could have deleted some critical file on the Novel. It would appear that the Novel is not authorized, but I cannot figure out how to reauthorize it. I would try Vahala's fix above, but I don't see a file called "activation.xml", only one called "device.xml" (I do have folder options set to see hidden files and folders). I've removed and re-installed ADE on my computer and also deleted the 8-6 update and re-installed the 7-18 one. ADE still recognizes the Novel without prompting me to authorize it and still won't transfer any books to it.Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to re-install Adobe eBooks onto the Novel, to force ADE to recognize it as a new device that needs to be authorized? (I do have an email in to Pandigital, but was hoping you all might know a quick fix.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
What files are in your .adobe-digital-editions directory on the PD_NOVEL drive? Have you tried deleting (or probably safer, renaming) the .adobe-digital-editions directory?If you get it working, let us know how. I was about to upgrade my firmware but will probably wait for this to get resolved first.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
You guys really should do a cs ticket at pandigital. I don't know that they monitor this forum, and if they do, they may not act on things that aren't reported to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote name='vasqued2;37708]What files are in your .adobe-digital-editions directory on the PD_NOVEL drive? Have you tried deleting (or probably safer' date=' renaming) the .adobe-digital-editions directory?If you get it working, let us know how. I was about to upgrade my firmware but will probably wait for this to get resolved first.[/QUOTE'] The only file in the .adobe-digital-editions directory on the PD_NOVEL drive was "device.xml".The problem is resolved now. I don't actually think the firmware was the problem--probably I did something stupid :)The fix was to format the Novel. Connect the Novel to your computer, right click on PD_Novel and left click on format. When that is done, turn off the novel (power down completely) then turn it back on (just turn it on--no need to hold down volume and power). Then connect back to computer, open ADE and it will prompt you to authorize the device. By the way, I opened a ticket with Pandigital last night and didn't expect to hear back until at least Monday, so I called them. The woman was unable to help me but promised to have a supervisor call back. Just as I was getting off the phone with her another tech from PD called me and came up with the fix described above. I must say that's pretty good customer service.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe there is an easier way to de-aunthorize/ re-authorize your PDN on ADE. Open ADE on your pc, turn on your novel and connect it to pc. Then press Ctrl,Shift, E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes. Repeat the process and you should get a box saying that a new device has been detected and you can authorize it. This should fix your problem. I have the 8-6 update on mine. Please post your results!

·
Registered
56 Posts
With my Sony DRM's, I had to move the books to the "Digital Editions" folder on my external sd card. After that (the PDN was previously authorized in ADE) the books are available on the PDN reader--Adobe eBooks.EDIT: Ran roebeet's hack after FW upgrade with 8/20. Since then, I haven't had access to my ADE DRM books. I use the ctrl-shift-E to deauthorize/reauthorize in ADE. When I check the activation.xml the correct Adobe ID is listed. Have removed and replaced books on both internal and external sdcards. Tried different folders as that's what seemed to work before. Non-DRM works. This app does not show up in the market from the slate so I'm not sure what version I have. I did not try the "format novel." Does anyone know if that affects any of the hacks? I suppose it doesn't since it will probably only reformat internal card. Please post if you have success with Adobe eBooks and DRM in 8/27 hack. Thanks.NEW EDIT: Finally got to reformat card. That seems to have fixed it for me. I had previously done the de/reauthorize and did delete the authorization.xlm safely removing and rebooting after each attempt. Only reformatting worked for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my ereader and did the current update, also activated my ADE. However I cannot see any books that I transfer to the unit. I can read them in my pc ADE. Maybe I am either transferring them wrong or putting them in the wrong folder - alto I have tried most of the folders. Could someone please list the steps for adding pdf and epib books - suck as ones downloaded from local public library. The UM does not reference this process. Thanks in advance...Rae

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to have ADE open on your PC w/ the book you downloaded. Once you have the PDN attached via USB, you should see PD_NOVEL w/ an eBook reader icon show up under Bookshelves. Drag the book you want to transfer from the right hand side onto the PD_NOVEL icon and it should transfer.Unplug the USB and start the Adobe reader app on the Novel and you should see the book.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The B&N app on the Novel supports Adobe DRM epub library books. Should work fine. On older firmware versions, its the Adobe app. Read the section in the wiki on using the novel as an ereader.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.