Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it would be harder on the already short battery life, but I think it might be of some benefit to add a fan to cool the cpu. Maybe it would help with the performance? But I would not know where to solder the wires to power the fan... This is a fan from an Eee pc 2g surf. It says dc 5v 0.19a.Maybe there is some use for this?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think the WM8505 throttles itself to avoid high temperatures... althou I don't have an Eken, I'm almost sure that only high end processors (like intels/amds mainstream desktop processors) have throttling from heat (and im not even sure bout amd).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point really. I didn't know if these processors ever got hot enough to really need a fan. Mine gets hot enough to heat up the case around it. But so does my netbook, and it does not have a fan either and it is a 900mhz intel processor. Just thought it might be a good idea for anyone who might use there m001 enough to get this much heat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the problem is that the chip isn't throttling down when demand goes down, so we get excessive heat and battery drain ...There was a huge improvement on the SmartQ series when romboys started including active CPU speed control in the firmware.

·
Registered
157 Posts
[quote author=esunday link=topic=540.msg4677#msg4677 date=1275576168]I think the problem is that the chip isn't throttling down when demand goes down, so we get excessive heat and battery drain ...There was a huge improvement on the SmartQ series when romboys started including active CPU speed control in the firmware.[/quote]totally agreed. that's what made the n95 battery life jump from 2 days to 3,5. Just gotta ramp it down when its not needed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
[quote author=itanium link=topic=540.msg4537#msg4537 date=1275535545]I don't think the WM8505 throttles itself to avoid high temperatures... althou I don't have an Eken, I'm almost sure that only high end processors (like intels/amds mainstream desktop processors) have throttling from heat (and im not even sure bout amd).[/quote]However, many arm processors can have govenah's assigned in linux to control cpu speeds (thus temperatures) Dependant on parameters, such as screen on/off states!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts