Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd really like to get the black Novel hacked before I post the review next week. Can someone help me?

Here's what I have so far:

I'm running Ubuntu 9.x, and I haven't updated in over a year. I've downloaded and unzipped the Android SDK. I've run adb devices and the black Novel was not seen. Also, when I connected it over USB the icon didn't appear on the desktop (which usually happens on Ubuntu).Where do I go from here?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
you need to go into system settings and see if you can turn adb debugging on. I haven't seen one (dammit) but it should say something like "android debugging" or "adb on"

mogrith in another post said essentially: settings; applications; Development; USB Debugging
I'm not sure if it's the same on the black, and don't have the white with me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
lawman said:
you need to go into system settings and see if you can turn adb debugging on. I haven't seen one (dammit) but it should say something like "android debugging" or "adb on
"mogrith in another post said essentially:Settings;applications;Development;USB DebuggingI'm not sure if it's the same on the black and don't have the white with me.
I can't find that under settings.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...ing-your-pandigital-novel-linux-computer.htmlI wonder if you could flash over to the black one of the modified updates that people have been working on on here and use that to get a new home on it so you can turn adb on there... Someone was pulling parts out and adding parts into the update zip... can't find the post or remember who. Clockworx is a good bet. Maybe pm him and see if there's a way to flash a working multiboot white setup over.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'm hoping he's reviewed it already, and an update will be out soon. Even if not, he can update with the white fw, right?

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
He would have to be hacked to see that setting. Unless the black version is going to regular Android settings app instead of the PDN designed settings [email protected],what message did you get when you did the adb devices? Have you tried adding sudo in front of the command?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
now we're talking...can he use sudo to get access to the shell even with adb off? can he use sudo to push an alt launcher? I don't think so, but I haven't used linux since Clinton was president.I think he's ultimately going to have to flash over a working setup, but I don't know we can do that yet either... Pandigital is starting to piss me off with this hidden source crap...

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
It would depend on whether adb was off or did not have permission to see the device. I know I have to do at least one sudo before I gain permission to see my Novel.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Nate, for full disclosure, the devs are worried that the hardware on the black is different such that the kernel would be different. A while ago the VP suggested they wouldn't be.Pandigital's VP Answers Some Questions About Its Novel eReader | e-Bookvine"The black 2gb model is not merely a different color and with an extra gig. I had asked "since a 4 GB SD card could usually be purchased for around $10, how much more could a 2GB model be over a 1gb. The black one is thinner, lighter, has a smaller (or no) lip/raised edge (thus thinner) and is more advanced tech than the white. For example, it will support landscape reading and more.The black model will provide an option to users who may prefer the matt-finish screen instead of the edge-to-edge glass styling. Feature-wise they will be comparable."If they use different kernels and have significantly different hardware, you may brick it. I'd love to see it done, but your call.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Check for me agreeing you're probably right, as much as I hate it.Only solution is for nate to crack it open so we can compare hardware.:-D

·
Registered
71 Posts
When the Black is connected to windows, does the add hardware wizard open? If so or not, check the device manger for Android phone or other unidentified hardware. If there is something new (other than storage volumes) go to the details of the device and check the hardware Ids. If they are different thatn the ones for the white then it should be a matter of altering the android_winusb.inf. This would be the case if they used a different usb chipset. The white looks like this:USB_Install, USBVID_18D1&PID_B004&MI_01On the other hand it may be that indeed adb is off.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'll take that... I think. I'm not sure I wouldn't like to see the guts, but adb is more important in the short run

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have you tried 91 PC Suite? Made by same company as pandahome. When I plug in my Novel the first time and run 91 PC Suite it installs a Daemon onto the device that it uses to push apks and browse file directory. It doesnt seem to have rw access to file system but you might be able to push a home apk and what ever else you might need to get started.I would try that, for me I needed the driver from the forum to get it to work initially. This may tell you if the driver we have is good, or if ADBD is definately disabled.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Did you go to Settings,Applications,Developer and see if there is a USB debugging setting? That has to be on. If that is on and the computer still doesn't recognize the device install a terminal emulator app from the SD card if you can. Then turn off USB debugging if there is a setting. Next go to the terminal emulator and press enter key then type "setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1" and then hit enter key. Then turn USB debugging back on in developer settings. Plug the USB cable into your computer (have Device Manager open to watch what is going on). If the device is recognized, great. If not, see what device was added; it will be either a Mass Storage Devoce or a Composite Device. Uninstall that device in the Device Manager then at the top pull down Actions and rescan for new hardware. The PDN then should be recognized if ADB access is possible. You might have to uninstall and rescan a few times to get it to work.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.