Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would apps on SD-card be possible on the aPad as it is on my phone? I guess in theory, it's "just" to add an EXT partition on the sd card, have it mounted somewhere (it's on /sd-ext on my phone) move all apks in /data/app to /sd-ext/app and symlink /data/app to /sd-ext/app? I know too little Linux in general and of the initialization process in particular, but I take it it's somewhere in init.rk28board.rc the job should be done.Perhaps have a check if there is any ext partition on the sd card and if so mount and symlink, if not just perform a "std" startup

·
Registered
254 Posts
OK, I've started experimenting a little with this, at this point just created an ext2 partition on my SD, which shows up as /dev/block/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="SD-EXT" UUID="446a62a7-f207-4b32-8d08-4651a3986c49" if I do a blkidSo, next step would be to have a mount point /sd-ext and mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 rw there.I guess it should be done in init.rk28board.rc somehow, but how? I'd sure appreciate some assistance/hints regarding this from the more experienced.<rant>damned, if the aPad file system wasn't RO, these kinds of experiments wouldn't be so hard</rant>

·
Registered
254 Posts
To keep me busy, I tried following, using adb on a fully booted apad:
Code:
mkdir /flash/sdmount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /flash/sdmkdir /flash/sd/appbusybox cp -p /data/app/* /flash/sd/app/rm -r /data/appln -s /flash/sd/app /data/app
In my imagination, that should work as a manual apps2sd, but the only thing that happened was that all my installed apps disappeared. :Also, when I try to install anything with this configuration, every apk just says "XXX couldn't be installed on this phone" or something to the same effect.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm not doing much progress right now, and it's, if not Greek, so at least Latin to me too. Basically I'm dissecting various apps2sd scripts for Android phones, and trying to figure out how it's been done. You're never too old to learn new stuff - That's what's life's all about, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote name='ZilverZurfarn;42826][IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG] Thank you. Unfortunately' date=' I'm not doing much progress right now, and it's, if not Greek, so at least Latin to me too. Basically I'm dissecting various apps2sd scripts for Android phones, and trying to figure out how it's been done. You're never too old to learn new stuff - That's what's life's all about, right?[/QUOTE'] Checkup the thread which you started yourself Get rid of cramfs for system?You can run the whole system from sd card.To make things short you can just mount the /data/app from sdcard. To do that edit the init.rk28board.rc file and add something like
Code:
mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/app nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime
depending on your sdcard's partition layout and do the reset (reformat /data and /cache).But to be honest I don't see any good reason of running the /data/app on sdcard. IO wise it's slower (I guess even class 10 microSD won't help you here) and you can create a bigger data if additional space is needed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your hints. Yes, I've been looking at the "get rid of cramfs" thread, and got some help from that.mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/app I think wouldn't work (yes, it should work if all I wanted to move was /data/app), as I see other apps2sd scripts also moves dalvik-cache and app-private to the ext partition (but as a first step it's worth a try)/data/app isn't heavy on I/O - It's just read as you launch the app (and written to during installation), and according to the "get rid of cramfs" thread, SDCARD reads aren't all that much slower than NAND reads.As for my reason for doing this - Well, the mountain is there, isn't it? ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.