Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my ickle apad for a week now and I thought id do a review.I have given it a fair good going over in terms of how much anyone could expect. I will break down the review into sections.Ease of use, responsiveness, battery, wifi, surfing, Ebook reading, audio, video, upgrading.Ease of use.When you first switch on the apad (after charging) you are presented with a pretty simplistic and very intuitive homescreen. After doing the usual slidey-finger wowser moments (mainly for those who haven't used a touchscreen device before) you quite quickly become accustomed to the screen. Everything is relatively easy to use and understand.I am using it to write this and apart from the keyboard being a bit slow and mistyping the odd letter it is acceptable. I have used better keyboards like slide it, but the stock isn't that unusable. Rather strangely it is easier to type in portrait mode than in landscape mode.Responsiveness.Being resistive I was expecting the screen to be jerky and slow. I have used many capacitive screens before now and I was surprised at just how good it was. It is no ipad but it ain't bad.Battery.This is where I was expecting this pad to dissapoint. However, I have been using it for almost 3hours on wifi and my battery is still showing 68% charge. At this rate I will get around 5-6 hours on wifi. My settings are 50% screen brightness and running adv tsk killer. Nowhere near the expected 2hours I had read and resigned myself to. I should add I am running rogers 5.1 ROM.Wifi.Out of the box very poor. Sitting less than 8feet from the router and barely got a signal. After upgrading the rom I got a minor improvement. However, I have since re-positioned the router and signal strength has improved. Still not great but more usable. If only someone would fix the adhoc ability?Surfing.To get the best out of this device you need a decent browser. The stock browser is okay, but others I use are skyfire and opera (both on marketplace). Surfing is fast, display is good and pages look not too different from pc.Ebook reading.I was really hoping that this function would be ace. I wasn't dissapointed. I had read reviews about the screen res being poor and giving eye strain etc. Well, reading for me isn't a problem. I suffer from migraines and a form of motion sickness which is often triggered by screen flicker. Happy to say I don't have too many probs. Also, comic books are clear and easy to view. I use ACV for comice and Aldiko reader gives access to loads of free books. Docs to go allows viewing of pdfs which are also pretty good.Audio/video.In a word usable. Audio is poor, even through headphones. Not sure if this can be fixed with better drivers or not. The speaker is only good if you are in a noise free area. Any background noise and you miss a lot of what's being said. Video is pretty good. I have a bug on my device when trying to play you tube fullscreen. Sometimes I need to press the homepage rocker button after selecting the clip for it to view fullscreen. No biggie, don't really use you tube a lot. Plays most of the files I've thrown at it, so thumbs up there.Upgrading.This is where I was hoping this device would come into its own. The stock rom I got was the archosr/ramos one. I have upgraded to rogers 5.1 and it is better. I will continually upgrade to each new/faster or stabler rom as they arrive.To upgrade the device it is reasonably simple, IF you follow the tutorials to the letter. I know some of you are not native english speakers, so don't be afraid to ask for help.Anyways, its taken me ages to write this on the pad. I will update this periodically, but if anyone has any questions or things they want to know just ask.RikiOver 3hours on wifi now and battery is showing 62%! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
please make into a blog great detailed review

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, this was great reading for me (waiting to receive mine from China)! I was actually pretty worried about the battery life for surfing, but this gives me hope :)I don't really have too much experience with the iPad keyboard, other than the 2 minutes or so that I played with one at Best Buy, but I hated the keyboard on my husband's iPhone with a passion. I was always hitting the wrong keys, and I think the keystroke-doesn't-register-until-you-lift-off thing threw me for a loop. Any thoughts on how the aPad stock keyboard might compare to the iPhone one? Is it possible to download a new keyboard for the aPad via the Market, and if so, do you have any recommendations (free or paid)?

·
Registered
251 Posts
riki1kenobi you could be me! your expectations and findings are so like mine I might just steal half your review and save myself the bother of writing it.
Though I only got my one yesterday I've already splashed out on Docs to Go, having used them before on my palm I know what to expect and their performance and usability on the apad is much better. I've found my power supply is every bit as bad as reading others comments suggests, the pin is quite loose in the moulded plastic so I've ordered a replacement (3A version) off eBay which will hopefully be better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
the pin is quite loose in the moulded plastic so I've ordered a replacement (3A version) off eBay which will hopefully be better.[/QUOTE said:
Could you post the link for the charger please? As I'd be quite interested to look at.Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm UK based so you may have to check your own area but the one I bought is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5V-3A-AC-DC-A...Accessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item20ad583420 with these adaptors http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Universal...Accessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item19bd729b95The connector on the power supply is too big hence buying the adaptors, the idea being the bigger it is the stronger it will be, this one will give me a good length as well, more like a proper laptop power lead.No sooner typed than I noticed the power lead lying on the floor, it had fallen out of the apad leaving the center pin in place

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll create a blog of this. I've had another hours worth of wifi and its just dropped to 48%! At this rate it'll be nearing 5 hours of constant wifi. Now I'm not sure if this is due to whatever roger did to his rom or not? I think I was getting maybe 3-4 hours on the archos rom prior to flashing! @justbishop, I downloaded the slide it keyboard as I had that on my nokia. There are other keyboards as well. There is an ipad style one but I've not used it so cant comment. The stock one is okay, you just can't type very fast without making typos
another annoyance with it is there are no arrow keys. So when (not if) you make a typo it is very diificult to correct.....I suppose you could just leave it, but I'm quite picky and typos annoy me, so I'm forever making corrections ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blog created (after a few hiccups
) , subscribe if you want to keep track of my findings

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote name='riki1kenobi;15062]I'll create a blog of this. I've had another hours worth of wifi and its just dropped to 48%! At this rate it'll be nearing 5 hours of constant wifi. Now I'm not sure if this is due to whatever roger did to his rom or not? I think I was getting maybe 3-4 hours on the archos rom prior to flashing! @justbishop' date=' I downloaded the slide it keyboard as I had that on my nokia. There are other keyboards as well. There is an ipad style one but I've not used it so cant comment. The stock one is okay, you just can't type very fast without making typos [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG] another annoyance with it is there are no arrow keys. So when (not if) you make a typo it is very diificult to correct.....I suppose you could just leave it, but I'm quite picky and typos annoy me, so I'm forever making corrections ;)[/QUOTE']Thanks, I'll check out Slide It! I got my aPad yesterday, and have found that I'm having the exact issues you mention with the stock keyboard...can't type fast, and no arrow keys. I'm assuming that Slide It fixes those problems, since you recc'd it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the great info, Riki1Kenobi! I'm a total noob at Android. I have a 16GB IPad and really like it, but like the price and flexibility of using Android. Now that I have the APad, I'd like to change the ROM so that the device is more functional. Do you have any advice on 1) which ROM to use 2) where to get it 3) how to install it for us NOOBSters? It would be much appreciated!NMGliderPilot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts