Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still new here people so bear with me. I am new to the whole tablet scene but I am learning... fast.I had an idea. I am at work and cannot test it at the moment. On my home desktop I increase the ram using a 4 gig thumbdrive using READYBOOST.Do you guys think something similar could be done to up performance on these tablets?I am gonna test this when I get home but it wont be till tonight. However if someone can get the results on here before me then you are welcome to it.I dunno bout you but upping ram to 4 gigs would be AMAZING on these little devices.Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
There are four main things called memory in Android.Simplified1 Ram. Real memory where code is loaded and executed speed measured in normally matched to the CPU Mhz/Gmz. the low end slates are 128Meg/256Meg info in RAM is lost at power off.2. internal Memory. like a C: drive in windows. long term storage of the OS and App storage. speed is measured in class/MBper sec Most devices have 1gig+ Some mother boards this is a internal microSD slot and is sold with different size microSD cards preinstalled. it is simple to open and replace with faster/larger microSD. Data retained when power is turned off3. SDcard Normally, a slot SD or MicroSD user supplies this card and more than one can be used. speed is measured in class/MBper sec My design data storage only. in 2.2 limited support for installing apps. place to store pictures,music, apk (file to install app) etc. Data retained when power is turned off4. USB Some devices have drivers that support a thumbdrive can be used like a second SDcard. Can copy to/from sdcard, store misic video etc. Data retained when power is turned offYou can't use SDcard type memory as RAM.But the android RAM memory manger can use a 'SWAP" drive. Some custom roms allow you to partition a small 96-128meg section of the SDcard and make a swap area.So code in ram not used recently is swapped to the swap drive, effectively giving you more RAM.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Which is another way of saying: something like readyboost has already been implemented in linux and android systems through the swap file or partition. Do a search in the market for swapper or droidswap or maybe just "swap" and you should be off and running.

·
Vendor
1,154 Posts
mogrith--- do you know if this "swap" method can be used on the so-called Opad A1 (also called Phecda P7, also M7002), it's a telechip 8902 unit with 256ram, 4GB and android 2.1 update 1 (7/11/10) -- if so, how would you do it? I will be adding a permenant SD card in my full USB slot to act as more built-in storage.Also.... do you know if this model would have the internal microsd slot on the motherboard?Can you imagine "3" cards in this !!

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Sorry I have no idea. I'll start a thread asking what devices support swap and see if someone else with your device knows.As donaldson said you can try the droidswap app from the market. For the internal slot. Don't know if you open yours up let us know either way.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
incidentally, if your computer has more than 512 mb of ram, readyboost probably isn't doing much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The fly-in-the-ointment here is that the NAND storage you're using for swap, as with all flash memory, has a finite number of write cycles. With swap, you'll be committing a whole lot of writes to it. If your internal flash goes bad, you can kiss your tablet goodbye. There's a good reason it's called "storage" rather than "working memory."

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
H.P. makes the point. Even with swap, you r/w cycles are limited. Which is why you always want your swap device to be other than flash memory internal to your device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.