Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought four of these as Christmas gifts for my family and I am trying to get them set up with all of the goodies before I gift them.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the android market installed on the tablets? Is there a way to play flash cotent?

Thanks for any help/information you can provide!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think there has been some mixed reports on which version of Android was on these things and which hardware (black or white) it was most similar to.

I don't remember any discussions of custom fw for the 9" or discussion of installing market.. but I could just not be remembering.

There may not be a quick and easy answer to your question... there has not been much discussion on this particular device.

·
Registered
666 Posts
if you want them to be android tablets by xmas i would suggest returning them immediately and purchasing 4 white pdn's (BBB, target, kohls)

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
[quote author=blueturtle link=topic=12889.msg103594#msg103594 date=1292620405]
I just bought four of these as Christmas gifts for my family and I am trying to get them set up with all of the goodies before I gift them.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the android market installed on the tablets? Is there a way to play flash cotent?

[/quote]

The 9 inch PDN has not been explored here on slatedroid...yet. I am still happy with my WPDN. That being said, I looked at the user guide and it is already an open platform that you can install apps on. While it does not have the official Google market on there, you could get apps from many places. Slideme.org and freewarelovers.com are two just to start.

The 9inch PDN is running Android 2.0 (info from the FAQs in the user guide) so I'm gonna say no to Flash. However, you can view websites in the mobile versions and many of them will convert flash to html5. This will not let you play flash games.

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the 9inch PDN guide here:
http://test1.pandigital.net/userfiles/file/Downloads/UG_R90L200_v1_8_11-12-10.pdf

I hope you enjoy your new tablet/readers and please let us know how they work out for you.

·
Registered
399 Posts

[/quote]

Flash content doesn't work on this version of Android, but you can get some limited flash support using Skyfire web browser. There is also some youtube apps that allow you to view youtube content. Personally, I've found trying to view most flash content to be a futile effort on any PDN.

Haven't seen anyone install market yet on this, you can install android apk files though as explained in the manual, but for most users this isn't the cleanest way to install an app. Why Pandigital didn't include Market with the open platform release is just silly!

·
Registered
83 Posts
[quote author=nchntrman link=topic=12889.msg103791#msg103791 date=1292650351]
if you want them to be android tablets by xmas i would suggest returning them immediately and purchasing 4 white pdn's (BBB, target, kohls)
[/quote]

I disagree. I've got both the white Novel and the 9" Tablet (I'm not calling it a Novel anymore). This tablet is my favorite. It' is simply the best tablet in its price range. The improvement in the touchscreen alone is enough to make the switch worthwhile.

I just posted my review yesterday:http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/12/17/review-pandigital-9-inch-android-tablet/

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have the hardware specs been made public?  i.e. cpu speed, ram, etc.  I have looked a little but couldnt locate.

·
Registered
399 Posts
[quote author=nchntrman link=topic=12889.msg103949#msg103949 date=1292698174]
Have the hardware specs been made public? i.e. cpu speed, ram, etc. I have looked a little but couldnt locate.
[/quote]

From this forum http://tipstir.the-talk.net/hands-on-review-on-pandigital-r90l200-f13/new-arrival-pandigital-tablet-novel-9-color-multimedia-e-reader-tablet-work-in-progress-review-t650.htm it appears to be an 800MHz cpu...so this unit seems to be more of a big brother to the white PDN rather then the black PDN.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=mrsburnout link=topic=12889.msg103802#msg103802 date=1292652331]

[/quote]

The 9 inch PDN has not been explored here on slatedroid...yet. I am still happy with my WPDN. That being said, I looked at the user guide and it is already an open platform that you can install apps on. While it does not have the official Google market on there, you could get apps from many places. Slideme.org and freewarelovers.com are two just to start.

The 9inch PDN is running Android 2.0 (info from the FAQs in the user guide) so I'm gonna say no to Flash. However, you can view websites in the mobile versions and many of them will convert flash to html5. This will not let you play flash games.

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the 9inch PDN guide here:
http://test1.pandigital.net/userfiles/file/Downloads/UG_R90L200_v1_8_11-12-10.pdf

I hope you enjoy your new tablet/readers and please let us know how they work out for you.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for the information. I installed the SlideMe app market on each novel and downloaded several programs to each of them. After playing with them for a little while I am happy with my purchase. Now my next assigment is to find some cases for them. However, at this late date I will probably just try to make the first set ( I have looked in all of my local stores, but they only carry the 7" covers).

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Thanks so much for the information. I installed the SlideMe app market on each novel and downloaded several programs to each of them. After playing with them for a little while I am happy with my purchase. Now my next assigment is to find some cases for them. However, at this late date I will probably just try to make the first set ( I have looked in all of my local stores, but they only carry the 7" covers).

Thanks again!
You're very welcome
The 9inch cases are harder to find. Pandigital's site doesn't even show them yet. (It took a couple months before cases for the original PDNs showed up.) There is a decent looking official canvas case at QVC for $26ea. plus shipping. here: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.E166932.desc.Black-Canvas-Case-for-9-Pandigital-WiFi-eReader.cm_scid.zone

·
Registered
6 Posts

[/quote]

Blue turtle,

I just got my 9" PDN the other day, and I don't know a lot, but I have downloaded and test so apps on it so if you can tell me what kind of apps you are wanting on it, I might can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my name is Synaida and i just got this pandigital 9" novel reader and could use any help you can send me thanks. Please keep in touch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I just picked up one of these tablets in hopes that I could get some android aps to allow me to view and edit Microsoft Sharepoint. I recently installed an android app that allows me to view SP on my smartphone. I could pay for another app in order to edit, however I want to edit from a larger screen so I would like to get a similar app for the 9" Novel. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

I just picked up one of these tablets in hopes that I could get some android aps to allow me to view and edit Microsoft Sharepoint. I recently installed an android app that allows me to view SP on my smartphone. I could pay for another app in order to edit, however I want to edit from a larger screen so I would like to get a similar app for the 9" Novel. Any ideas?
Same here. I picked up from Big Lots. it is a 9"BPDN R90L200. I am new to this and just want to set it up to play you tube videos and have the google market..any help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here. I picked up from Big Lots. it is a 9"BPDN R90L200. I am new to this and just want to set it up to play you tube videos and have the google market..any help?
Picked mine up from Big Lot's as well. I'm beginning to realize that the reason these specific Tablets were on sale, is because they're limited. Bummer.

But SlideMe and Freewarelovers.com have a few apps that are compatible.

If anyone can help with downloading compatible organizational/office apps, that'd be great. I've got one in mind that I'll need to pay for. I'm so confused as to why some apps are compatible, so if anyone can explain that too, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
flash OPDN9 1.3 mod Link: http://www.mediafire...75wzt1xca171iad from here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/15773-alternate-bpdn-9-inch-firmware-opdn9/
it's a sticky, takes 5 min, you get full droid market & many other great things!

Simple instructions, just do it.

Just bought one for 79 from BLots Black R91L256, flash works great, let me know if you have any Q's.
Teradogbyte, so happy to see your reply with this link included. I'm pretty sure that it's the thread I was reading the other day that was the main one upon which I was going to concentrate. Now I can not only find it easily, but by posting this reply to thank you I've made my 3rd reply post and will be able to make my own original posts once my status is upgraded!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts