Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
NEED HELP! Android 2.3 8" A816 Tablet problems driving me crazy!!
Ok guys, no joke I've spent nearly 30 hours now trying to update a few tablets that arrived with crappy firmware that had a limited market & didn't allow market downloads + the browser won't work.. GOOGLE AUTHENTICATION FAILED

It's a chinatab manufactured by Ashiou A816 running Android 2.3 Gingerbread with 1.2ghz S5PV210 CPU

The firmware currently installed has EARTH logo at bootup & has the following under ABOUT DEVICE

KERNEL VERSION: [email protected]#332
BUILD NUMBER:full_s5pv210bena-eng2.3.1 GINGERBREAD eng.version=bena-20110512_165851

I have various custom firmware & the newest factory firmware for this tablet, but firmware 0512 doesn't support TF update mode...so I had to download the flashing tool package & install fastboot.exe and a few drivers so my tablet could be flashed..

When I install the drivers for the tablet it installs the android bootloader interface, BUT it doesn't fully install and gives me (ERROR 10) .. I try the update process anyway & fastboot just says "waiting for device"..So it must be a compatibility issue with the drivers & my PC OS..I've tried this update on both WIN 7 64bit & WIN XP with the same results...

Does anyone have this tablet?? What did you do to get the update to work on WIN 7 or any WIN PC for that matter..
I'm nearing the end point with patience for this tablet & need some help ASAP..

PS. Box of beer in it for the first person that solves my problem..If you need more info, reply & I'd be happy to provide eveything..

Thanks FTANL
==

HERE ARE THE STEPS AND FIRMWARE LOCATIONS PROVIDED BY MY SELLER. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! & IF YOU GET IT TO WORK PLEASE TELL ME HOW.

(1) Download the Flash Tools to your computer. ==
S5PV210_A816_Flash_tools.zip

extract zip file to a folder.
For example: We extract the zip file to E:/AiShuo/

Put the below 4 files to "C:/windows/system32/" of your computer.
[1] AdbWinUsbApi.dll
[2] AdbWinApi.dll
[3] adb.exe
[4] fastboot.exe

== (2) Install the USB Driver for the Tablets on your computer. ==
S5PV210_A816_Flash_tools/usb_driver_r03-windows

[1] Enable usb debugging on your tablet.
Start The Tablet, Do the setting as follow:
Settings->Application settings -> Development -> USB Debugging [Check it]

[2] Power off the Tablet. Connect the Tablets to your computer with USB Cable.

[3] Press the Menu button and the Power button for several seconds, the tablet will the boot logo and text "FASTBOOT update System Focus mid device-000";
And then your COMPUTER will find new hardware (Android 1.0), We search the Driver from the folder "S5PV210 A816 Flash tools/usb_driver_r03-windows/";
After this, your Computer will also find "Android Bootloader Interface", we need to do the same as the above new hardware.

Note: The driver support the 32 bit Windows. It do not support the 64 bit windows. I'M GUESSING THAT'S WHY WIN 7 64bit never worked, but WIN XP 32bit should work//

As it is not allowed to type URL in message,
I show the Tablet firmware resources url for you in the picutre.
(1) S5PV210_A816_Flash_tools.zip My link
(2) Upgrage_To_Support_TFCard_Update_Mode.zip My link
(3) a816_full_s5pv210bena-ota-eng.20110531.zip My link

== (3) Upgrade the Tablet to support the TF Card update mode. ==

[1] Download the upgrade file (Upgrage_To_Support_TFCard_Update_Mode.zip) and extract zip file to a folder.
[2] Power off the Tablet. Connect the Tablets with your computer with USB Cable.
[3] Press the Menu button and the Power button for several seconds, the tablet will the boot logo and text "FASTBOOT update System Focus mid device-000"; mine reads device-001
[4] Double click the "Upgrage_To_Support_TFCard_Update_Mode.bat" (Extract from the zip file) on your computer. I just get waiting for device
The Tablets will reboot, you will see two android robots on the screen, and the upgrade is running, After it's finished, we will login to the Android System.

Note:
After The upgragde, If you can not mount the internal TF Card,
In this case, please do as below:
Setting -> Storage -> [Format (Erase) USB Storage], and then you will be able to mount the internal TF Card.

======(4) Upgrade firmware to the newest version. ==
1. Download the firmware file -- a816_full_s5pv210bena-ota-eng.20110531.zip, and put it to a TF Card.

2. shut down the Tablet first, then Press the Menu button and the power button at least 2 seconds.

3. The screen will show the below 4 choices:
1) Reboot system panel now
2) apply update from /sdcard
3) wipe data/factory reset
4) wipe cache partition

Select the Second choice (apply update from/sdcard), and press the power button about 1 seconds.

Then we will see the screen as below:

1)../
2)internal-tfcard/
3)external-tfcard/
4)usbdisk

generally, We select the external-tfcard (We put the update zip file put in the external-tfcard).
And then, it go to the update list (a816_full_s5pv210bena-ota-eng.20110531.zip).

Then Press the power button about 1 second, the updater will be working now.

4. After the updating is done, it will back to the first screen.
Select the first choice (reboot system now), Press the power button about 1 second, the talbet will reboot, the updating for firmware is finished

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing some more reading, it appears a lot of WINDOWS users are having similar problems loading the drivers for the tablets and phones running android..
Can someone confirm that the update process has worked for them & if so, which OS is on your PC??

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think there is a partition problem with this rom.
I have no recovery partition so there is No way to install the first update. The second one doesn't have a system.img file(I know I can make one but failed in doing this)
Pheraps Roger Carver can make a file for us to flash...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Below are the steps the seller provided..Apparently it works for him. I've asked him for a detailed list of contents found in all file folders he sent me..

I'm not sure whether your talblet support the TF Card Upgrade already.
Today I got a tablet with the earth boot logo, I can do the update via the TF card.

Could you also try it?

My steps are:

1. Download the firmware file
-- a816_full_s5pv210bena-ota-eng.20110531.zip, and put it to a TF Card. He said not to unzip it..which I thought to be strange...
(I think you have already downloaded it.)

2. shut down the Tablet.

3. Insert your TF Card to the Tablets.

4. Press the "HOME" Button, and then press the "Power" button TOGETHER about 2 seconds.
(This step is very IMPORTANT, It is DIFFERENT with before.)

5. The android system will start, and stop at a page with a small android robot, press the "power" Button about 2 seconds, and then press the "HOME" together.
(This step is very IMPORTANT, It is DIFFERENT with before.)
[press the "power" Button about 2 seconds, and then press the "HOME" button together]

6. The screen will show the below 4 choices:
1) Reboot system panel now
2) apply update from /sdcard
3) wipe data/factory reset
4) wipe cache partition

Select the Second choice (apply update from/sdcard), and press the power button about 1 seconds.

Then we will see the screen as below:

1)../
2)internal-tfcard/
3)external-tfcard/
4)usbdisk

We select the external-tfcard (We put the update zip file put in the external-tfcard).
And then, it go to the update list (a816_full_s5pv210bena-ota-eng.20110531.zip).

Then Press the power button about 1 second, the updater will be working now.

After the updating is done, it will back to the first screen.
Select the first choice (reboot system now), Press the power button about 1 second, the talbet will reboot, the updating for firmware is finished.

Could you try the setps?
and let me know your result?

Best wishes!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roger, after doing some more reading & looking at some video reviews, I think I have the MID816R2 version.. Someone said the regular M816 files won't work on the R2, which might explain all the trouble I'm having with firmware updates. Anyway to confirm this by looking at the firmware files I provided?? The seller called it the A816, but he's been wrong before..LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think there is a partition problem with this rom.
I have no recovery partition so there is No way to install the first update. The second one doesn't have a system.img file(I know I can make one but failed in doing this)
Pheraps Roger Carver can make a file for us to flash...
I made an error in the file uploades on the previous post. The correct file links have been added below, & I edited the main post to reflect the correct files aswell. Hopefully now someone can confirm they work properly.. 20110531 full update..sounds good!

he said you have to install this file first My link using The A816 flash tools found here My link then you should be able to load this file My link using the tf update mode.

Let me know if u get it to work & which Windows version you used to achieve it. Thanks Ftanl

·
Firmware Dev
2,739 Posts
Also I know that the factory firmware for the MID816r2 isnt available yet, I know because Im waiting for it to be sent to me from the manufacturers !
Going on this Im now guessing your seller doesnt know exactly what their talking about as trying to use the wrong firmware can be a bad idea !

·
Registered
43 Posts
I made an error in the file uploades on the previous post. The correct file links have been added below, & I edited the main post to reflect the correct files aswell. Hopefully now someone can confirm they work properly.. 20110531 full update..sounds good!

he said you have to install this file first My link using The A816 flash tools found here My link then you should be able to load this file My link using the tf update mode.

Let me know if u get it to work & which Windows version you used to achieve it. Thanks Ftanl
When trying to install th TFcard update, the procedure just fails. It searches for some partitions of the card we don't have (like the recovery one), then the reboot end with a kernel error.
Don't know if it's possible to bypass this step and flash directly the second update via fastboot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also I know that the factory firmware for the MID816r2 isnt available yet, I know because Im waiting for it to be sent to me from the manufacturers !
Going on this Im now guessing your seller doesnt know exactly what their talking about as trying to use the wrong firmware can be a bad idea !
Below is the info found under about Device on my tablet.
BUILD NUMBER:full_s5pv210bena-eng2.3.1 GINGERBREAD eng.version=bena-20110512_165851

I had several tablets arrive & 6 of them had the above firmware installed, but 2 tablets had a different firmware & they worked like champs.
Can't think of the exact build now but 105050 was apart of the firmware..They had 2 android Superhero bots at boot logo...If I could find that firmware, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Below is the info found under about Device on my tablet.

I had several tablets arrive & 6 of them had the above firmware installed, but 2 tablets had a different firmware & they worked like champs.
Can't think of the exact build now but 105050 was apart of the firmware..They had 2 android Superhero bots at boot logo...If I could find that firmware, I'd be happy.
Is it possible for you to clone the internal microsd cards of the "champs" and use the cloned mocrosd cards in the erring tablets?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it possible for you to clone the internal microsd cards of the "champs" and use the cloned mocrosd cards in the erring tablets?
Where there's a will there's a way I guess, but for me personally I have no idea on what to use or how to do it. I'm guessing the extracted firmware would have to be tweaked to work on other tabkets.. I have no clue..

But aside from no boot logo at startup the 20110531 update I put on mine yesterday is running like a champ too!

·
Firmware Dev
2,739 Posts
You would have to clone a good tablets internal sd card and then copy that image to a new sd card for the tablets that need updating.

The downside here is you need to open the tablets - not always the best move IMHO !

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've tested this upgrade on my original 4GB image (the 110521 bena image) and it works without problems.
After upgrading with the procedure you gave the fw was upgraded to 110531.

What I would like to know if it is possible to root this upgrade prior to flashing it.
That way it would be possible to have a rooted image 4GB with the latest fw possible.

Anyone an idea what needs to be changed to get full root access on this upgrade?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've tested this upgrade on my original 4GB image (the 110521 bena image) and it works without problems.
After upgrading with the procedure you gave the fw was upgraded to 110531.

What I would like to know if it is possible to root this upgrade prior to flashing it.
That way it would be possible to have a rooted image 4GB with the latest fw possible.

Anyone an idea what needs to be changed to get full root access on this upgrade?
Which firmware did you use??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts