Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Picked up one of these a few minutes ago at local Best Buy for $170 plus tax. New package looks to be sized for Super Nova and for this model both. The OS is Android 2.3.4 and it has some nice new features that make the now OLD Planet "NOT WORTH" the money. The screen issue seems to be history and the WIFI is lighting fast connecting (my opinion). It is running PD software version PR71 A BN W A C 07232011 (The date of the software seems to be amazingly new). Will report more as I get it setup and working on some apps etc.

Edit 1:

The screen info says: with Capacitive Touch TM. The response is so much better it is amazing!! The layout of the internals is totally different from the Planet. The location of the different controls and ports indicate it is a very different internal hardware. The unit is thicker than the Planet and a little heavier. The front controls still have the silly backlit when pressed design. That's great if you know where they are and don't need to look in reduced light.

Edit 2:

Tried to root and had no success. Seems to be locked down and will need a good developer to crack it for us. Have used 4 different Micro SD cards so far and had no issues with reading them. The 6 second hold to off seems to work very well. It took hours to get the battery charged and I am not sure it is fully charged yet (I could not wait the 5 hours they said you should first time). Loaded lots of apps and found most work. The problem ones are those requiring root and 4zroot fails in that process. ADB driver appears to be same as Planet and lets you into the internals but no way yet to change things.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Picked up one of these a few minutes ago at local Best Buy for $170 plus tax. New package looks to be sized for Super Nova and for this model both. The OS is Android 2.3.4 and it has some nice new features that make the now OLD Planet "NOT WORTH" the money. The screen issue seems to be history and the WIFI is lighting fast connecting (my opinion). It is running PD software version PR71 A BN W A C 07232011 (The date of the software seems to be amazingly new). Will report more as I get it setup and working on some apps etc.

Edit 1:

The screen info says: with Capacitive Touch TM. The response is so much better it is amazing!! The layout of the internals is totally different from the Planet. The location of the different controls and ports indicate it is a very different internal hardware. The unit is thicker than the Planet and a little heavier. The front controls still have the silly backlit when pressed design. Thats great if you know where they are and don't need to look in reduced light.
Go to the post office and ask for a "moving kit" if they're not already out on one of the desks. The included cardboard form(change of addr I think) has two 10% off coupons for BB, one for appliances and stuff, and the other for just about everything else(including cell phones), which would bring it to c. $153 + tax. (They'll probably do it after if you missed earlier IF you take in the coupon...)

Optionally:
Also if you google about the coupons, you can turn up a number and a message(home3 rings a bell) to text to it, and IIRC they text you back a code to get the 10% off, and I also believe that they have a page on the BB site buried somewhere that can turn it up.

[EDIT]
...and... (posted in wrong thread, plus more info on the 10% off coupon...)
Would you be so kind as to check how much RAM it has? If you can ADB into it, e.g. ad shell dmesg >& dmesg.out , er might be like adb shell dmesg > dmesg.out in windoze...

IF you decide to get one get a 10% off coupon by either:
( a ) go to post office and ask for a "Moving Kit"(I think that they call them that) if they're not already out on a desk. There'll be two BB 10% off coupons attached to the bottom of the cardboard form(change of addr IIRC), one is for appliances and junk, and the other for pretty much everything else(read the small print)
( b ) Google up the number and message to text, (something home3 IIRC) and IIRC they text back a code to get 10% off
( c ) IIRC they have a page buried on their website somewhere that you can use to cough up a 10% off code

i.e. this gets it down to c. $153 + tax which is a pretty good deal for what it is... must resist temptation...
[/EDIT]

·
Registered
148 Posts
As I said in my post I picked up one already and going through all the stuff to save $17 may or may not be worth it. The specs are 512 RAM and 4gb internal storage which appears to be split so 512mb is allocated to the device and 3.5 gb is available for user storage of music, videos, and photos. The software allows you to decide to store your data and stuff on internal, external or let the device decide. Great feature if it works well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
As I said in my post I picked up one already and going through all the stuff to save $17 may or may not be worth it. The specs are 512 RAM and 4gb internal storage which appears to be split so 1gb is allocated to the device and 3 gb is available for user storage of music, videos, and photos. The software allows you to decide to store your data and stuff on internal, external or let the device decide. Great feature if it works well.
True, $17 isn't much but it seemed that so many people had so much fun finding the best bargains for the Novel...

It's pretty nice for what it is. Too bad that Pandigital wasn't a bit daring and put CM7 on it...

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
I feel cheated...
Perhaps I may return my planet for a nova (for the same damn price nonethless...) o.0

Wonder if Kohls is going to pick these up..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bruce:

Downloaded the Gingerbreak followed the instructions and tried to root the Nova. Everything went well until it tried to exploit and root. It just tried and tried and as per instructions I shutdown after about 15 minutes of the go around thing. I tried ADB and got the $ sign but su command just says it can't locate su. Tried the latest version of 4zroot and it just does something for a few minutes but does not boot so it fails as well. Appears they have locked this one up on us pretty well. I would love to see how it runs without all the junk software in the device storage area (/system/app). All the PD OP apps are stored there and we need to get rooted to get them out. I am not a real strong user and therefore I am unsure how to get you the logcat report. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know my local Best Buy has the Nova in stock (but not on the floor yet.) While this unit sounds nice with the 512 ram and capacitive screen that we wish the Planet had, does the fact that it comes with Android 2.3.4 OS have disadvantages in terms of possible development due to what I understand is a more locked down build? Given PD's claim that they will be releasing an upgrade to 2.3 for the Planet, is that expected to be a good thing given the limited ram and problems devs already have working somewhat in the dark without source?

I probably won't be taking the plunge into the Nova until a little more is known about it. The $170 with possible discounts does seem reasonable. I noted at the store that BB offers $20 off any purchase if one opens a credit card account and maybe 6 months same as cash, if that interests anyone. Don't know if it stacks with other discounts. I went through the listing of retailers on Pandigital's site and searched each for the Nova, but BestBuy was the only hit. I see Sears, Walmart and Fry's all have the Planet for ~$180. My guess is we should see the Nova available elsewhere eventually, and maybe some competition will be beneficial. Of course, no mention of it on PD site, but it was a week or two after Kohl's got the Planet before it was listed there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bruce:

Downloaded the Gingerbreak followed the instructions and tried to root the Nova. Everything went well until it tried to exploit and root. It just tried and tried and as per instructions I shutdown after about 15 minutes of the go around thing. I tried ADB and got the $ sign but su command just says it can't locate su. Tried the latest version of 4zroot and it just does something for a few minutes but does not boot so it fails as well. Appears they have locked this one up on us pretty well. I would love to see how it runs without all the junk software in the device storage area (/system/app). All the PD OP apps are stored there and we need to get rooted to get them out. I am not a real strong user and therefore I am unsure how to get you the logcat report. Hope this helps.
Excellent intel; even if it wasn't the answer we wanted. I'm with Spz, so this helps a bit with my device envy, ha.

You could also try Superoneclick -
SuperOneClick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, Fred, you really asked for it, but we appreciate it. Any chance of you posting the user manual? Or, if anyone knows where FCC info is on this one, point me in that direction. Info at Best Buy is skimpy. I have to drive 71 miles (one way) to actually look at one. If not, it's cool. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My guess is we should see the Nova available elsewhere eventually
Possibly, but according to this link the Nova is Available only at Best Buy

They may have a limited time exclusive on this, or this particular model may remain exclusive to BB - only time will tell I suppose. PD might be looking at making models with slightly different capabilities to hit certain price points for specific retailers.

I wouldn't say I feel cheated, but that's only because of Kohls' liberal return policy. The Nova's additional memory definitely makes it more attractive and I'm sure that alone will make it capable of handling a wider variety of apps than the Planet. I'll just consider my Planet as an indefinite loan for now and see how things shake out with the Nova.

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
I was going to pay off my Kohls bill next week -- I may just return this planet and head out to BB and pick up the Nova. lol

That is, if the PDNova turns out to be built better than the PDP -- I dont want to have to deal with BB's return policies. lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, Fred, you really asked for it, but we appreciate it. Any chance of you posting the user manual? Or, if anyone knows where FCC info is on this one, point me in that direction. Info at Best Buy is skimpy. I have to drive 71 miles (one way) to actually look at one. If not, it's cool. Thanks.
Here's some from the initial SUPERNova (not NOVA- oops) thread- you'll see the FW in here and they should have the manuals inside the zips....also Looks like they updated around 7/28...I don't recommend flashing any of this stuff until more is known about what you've got...anyhow the links to the FW are here:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20427-pandigital-supernova-tablet/page__view__findpost__p__213189

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's some from the initial Nova thread- you'll see the FW in here and they should have the manuals inside the zips....also Looks like they updated around 7/28...I don't recommend flashing any of this stuff until more is known about what you've got...anyhow the links to the FW are here:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20427-pandigital-supernova-tablet/page__view__findpost__p__213189
@sainthooligan

I think that link takes you to the SUPERNOVA 8-inch tab, not the NOVA 7-inch being discussed here.

I think I found the FCC page for the NOVA:

FCC ID ZIY-R70AP07 <-- Nova Pics and Manual

These were found by doing an 'equipment authorization search' from the OET home page using FCC ID: 'ziy' which corresponds to products submitted by Nanjing Panda, including the NOVA, Planet and STAR (star?).

Searching for FCC ID: 'pot' should produce results for products submitted by Inventec Appliances Corp, including the SuperNova. One interesting thing about Inventec is that they apparently are a manufacturer of the Nook Color, HP WebOS tab, and produce product for Intel, Dell and others. Just wondering out-loud if build quality of the SuperNova will differ greatly from that of the Nova, assuming a different supplier for the Nova?

·
Registered
348 Posts
@sainthooligan

I think that link takes you to the SUPERNOVA 8-inch tab, not the NOVA 7-inch being discussed here. I think I found the FCC page for the NOVA:

FCC ID ZIY-R70AP07

The link above includes pics and user manual:

NOVA User Manual

These were found by doing an 'equipment authorization search' from the OET home page using FCC ID: 'ziy' which corresponds to products submitted by Nanjing Panda, including the NOVA, Planet and STAR (star?).

Searching for FCC ID: 'pot' should produce results for products submitted by Inventec Appliances Corp, including the SuperNova. One interesting thing about Inventec is that they apparently are a manufacturer of the Nook Color, HP WebOS tab, and produce product for Intel, Dell and others. Just wondering out-loud if build quality of the SuperNova will differ greatly from that of the Nova, assuming a different supplier for the Nova?
Yep, you're right- my apologies- I jumped the gun on that one (I'll edit original)... device as noted in the manual : "UE-G_R70F400_R70F452_v1.3_07_11"
In the http://mirror.support.pandigital.net:8080/Support/FW/Tablets/ - perhaps the R70F400 directory is for this one or a variation of it...
ok-ok I think I'll just shut up over here and enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yep, you're right- my apologies- I jumped the gun on that one (I'll edit original)... device as noted in the manual : "UE-G_R70F400_R70F452_v1.3_07_11"
In the http://mirror.support.pandigital.net:8080/Support/FW/Tablets/ - perhaps the R70F400 directory is for this one or a variation of it...
ok-ok I think I'll just shut up over here and enjoy the ride...
Good question - that directory has a PR71.prefix.zip, which could very well relate to that reported by Fred as stock on his Nova (PR71 A BN W A C 07232011). I know I looked around on the mirror for the stock zip, but didn't find it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
With the experimenting you'd do, I'd be more worried about bricking it and having to deal with BB for a return if I were you.
Exactly what's holding me back. BB&B & Kohl's have GREAT return policies, Target is mildly OK @ 90d for most things, but BB is just awful, although if you're just wanting an exchange they're usually much more lenient, but try to actually return anything and they make B&N CS look stellar(given my difficulties in getting them to even exchange a CLEARLY faulty(uUSB port) faulty NC)...)

[EDIT]
GINGERBEAK: the one in the xda-devs thread is OLD last I checked. They had v1.2 while v1.5 was the current at that time, and IIRC at least up to 1.2 it only worked on early versions of gingerbread IIRC.
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Wow! Says BACKORDERED on the BB web site now, but still lists several sort of nearby stores as having stock, but I still haven't managed to get over to one yet...

...and the ONLY available @ BB MAY only be temporary... It'd be HIGHLY unusual for Pandigital to limit themselves to BB as they've almost always also gone BB&B(missed the planet though AFAICT) and Kohls at least...
[/EDIT2]

·
Advanced Shoe Gum Member
428 Posts
/me is holding out for Kohls -- then I will pwn this thing... O.O

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good question - that directory has a PR71.prefix.zip, which could very well relate to that reported by Fred as stock on his Nova (PR71 A BN W A C 07232011). I know I looked around on the mirror for the stock zip, but didn't find it.
This maybe the actual software that is on the Nova so I am downloading it at this time. I think PD names the software with a future date so their update program does not see it. I think this maybe the 7/23/2011 version and will soon have it copied to my desktop. After the attempts to root I started getting FC's on some of the programs. Think they do not want this baby cracked by us at this time. Wish I could just get the bloatware out of the /system/app area somehow. Much of the same software that is on the Planet and as with that one it is not very useful compared to the stuff on app sites. installed Amazon and 1Mobile and both give me a pretty good selection of apps without the Google hassles.

The download of PR71 8/23/2011 is now complete and from the 7-zip file it looks to be very much the same as the as shipped package. The everyware stuff is dated 07/20/2011 as is that on the unit I have. If the FC's continue then I will be the tester to see if this resets the system back to stock which I think it most likely will. For the time being not sure doing any tests of root stuff is a good idea?!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.