Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I have put together a flash file based on 2011031 complete with Market already installed.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0k5btaojbagad9d (with Softkeys)

http://www.mediafire.com/?rqj5fzixs0pg651 (no Softykeys)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ged2t20ojza1qi3 (SDK 4, with Softkeys)

This should be a complete package with working Market and Rooted. Similar to roebeet's Alternate BPDN 7 inch fw : OP-based (v1.2.0, updated 02/21/11)

rename to polaris_update.dat If you have recent OP firmare install you may have to rename the file to S64H_SLST_KOBO_BB_20101104.dat

Busybox is not installed, but I have added the lasted Busybox Install from the Market. Just click on the Icon if you need to install Busybox.

Added the Volume Key hack. Vol Up is Menu, Vol Dn is Back. I have install SpareParts so the you can map the Power(red) button to Home.

Added ButtonSavour so there is an Alternate for Softkeys, to play with. (I will latter have a patch to kill the default SoftKeys)

Added Android Hacker, this gives you a Terminal window and other things to check out.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added another complete Market flash, but with SoftKeys removed to the first post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just flashed the "no Softykeys" version. Pretty cool! Can't get Button Savior to work really though. The Back button sort of works(slowly) but Menu and Home are no-go. This version is rooted right?

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The home, back, and menu soft buttons on the screen, I believe they are on the bottom on the stock FW for the black 7" Novel. My understanding is they cover up some things on the black novel in some software. Terminander has added button savior to this modded FW instead which are self hiding see through soft buttons to replace the stock ones.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
@ user22

I have no problems with Button Savour, except maybe a little sluggish. See if Android Hacker works (works when I install it but maybe not when included in flash). Android Hacker gives you a Terminal window and tells you if you are Root or User.

@BoSoxSYCO

SoftKeys are on screen buttons for Back, Home and Menu, since a lot of tablets don't have physical buttons for these functions. Some tablets will put these up in the notification bar. But our OP (Open Platform) Novel puts them at the bottom of the screen. Some programs may put there own buttons there and cause interference problems.

But with no SoftKeys, you need something to provide their functions. So I added the Vol. Hack and Spareparts. Spareparts will map the Power button to home better than if I do it with Vol. Hack.

Volume Up is Menu
Volume Dn is Back/Cancel
Power quick tap is Home instead of sleep
Power longer tap is still Shut Down (vol. hack would bring up Recent Apps, but no Shut Down)
Power very long tap is still Reset

·
Registered
52 Posts
@ user22

I have no problems with Button Savour, except maybe a little sluggish. See if Android Hacker works (works when I install it but maybe not when included in flash). Android Hacker gives you a Terminal window and tells you if you are Root or User.
Just tried Android Hacker...nope, not working. It just force closes. Do you think you could upload the .apk? Maybe I can try reinstalling it?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might be able to Es Explorer and see if you can find com.j.kernelmanager.apk in the /data/app folder. Cut it and paste it to your sdcard. Reboot and then try to install it from the sdcard.

If your not rooted you my not be able to see anything in the data folder. You could use Adb.

If nothing works I can upload it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Success! I found the .apk in the /data/app folder just like you said. I then followed your instructions, reboot, reinstall and now Android Hackers works and I see the message "You're logged in as a root mode." Thanks!

Button Savior is still acting a fool though. Before, it was only the Back button working, now the Back button isn't working anymore, but the Home button is working. Menu button still not working either. How strange, lol.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i am still waiting for delivery of my 7"BPDN 2gb and i am trying to learn a few things before it gets here. I am a complete noob with Android, i have never owned a phone (the only thing i thought used the Android app.) I have read about the new update making it a real android tablet. so what does this firmware do? Does it update to a newer version of Android or add more functionality? Thanks

Edit:
hi terminander, noob question. i just flash this over the android os that comes with the new (model#R70E200) pandigital multimedia novel android multimedia tablet & ereader. thanks

Note from Mod: I added your next post above and then I deleted your double post, Please do not double post. Thanks, MrsB

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ lartomar2002

I don't regonize that model#. So before you do any post your FW version. You will have an icon called Settings, lauch it and goto About Reader?, you should see the firmware version.

This update/mod adds Android Market , where you can find all kinds of applications for Android. It also unlocks the device for ADB and gives you 'root user', which maybe needed for some apps.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i am still waiting for delivery of my 7"BPDN 2gb and i am trying to learn a few things before it gets here. I am a complete noob with Android, i have never owned a phone (the only thing i thought used the Android app.) I have read about the new update making it a real android tablet. so what does this firmware do? Does it update to a newer version of Android or add more functionality? Thanks

Edit:
hi terminander, noob question. i just flash this over the android os that comes with the new (model#R70E200) pandigital multimedia novel android multimedia tablet & ereader. thanks

Note from Mod: I added your next post above and then I deleted your double post, Please do not double post. Thanks, MrsB
sorry Mrs.B, i did not realize that i had double posted.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
sorry Mrs.B, i did not realize that i had double posted.
@lartomar2002

No worries, I got the magic delete key

@terminander

Model #R70E200 is the BPDN under the new name of Pandigital Multimedia Novel 7" Android Multimedia Tablet & Color eReader - U.S. - Black model

As far as I can tell, The new "tablets" are the same items (as the original PDNs) rebranded (repackaged) for the new 2011 FWs.
I was in Kohl's yesterday, and their "new" white Model #R70D200 is identical (even has the same SKU / UPC numbers)

Edit:
So Model #R70D200 = current WPDN
and Model #R70E200 = current BPDN

*split off much of this discussion Here

·
Registered
9 Posts
THE TIME HAS FINALLY COME!!!

I just received my BPDN and Im super stoked to get started. I am not technically savvy by any stretch of the imagination so I appreciate you dummifying everything for me (thanks in advance). I have read quite a few posts and I feel even less technically inclined that I thought

I love the idea of creating a sort of org chart or "roadway" for us beginners to follow. Boy do I wish it was available now.

Im looking for the best update(s) to do the following:

Android tablet
Watch YouTube videos
Access Market
Download apps
Email
Read books
Gapps
...and some Im forgetting

I know there will be more included with the update(s), so could you please explain to me what I should expect/notice once updated?

Specs:
Model #PRD07T20WBL1
HW Platform: RD101-2GB-W
Platform SW: AN15-07-30-2010-7D-V3

Thank again guys for being so awesome. You make it possible for guys like me to go out and get items like these and know there is some great help out there and not have to rely on "Customer Service".

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
BoSoxSYCO

You have a very early flash July 30,2010. I am guessing US with Barnes & Noble. Is your Home screen B&N? and doesn't look like Android at all. That version doesn't have softkeys but most of the apps have on screen menus. Plus virtually impossibe to add apps, as there is no way to access them.

You can update using this firmware no problems. But you can also update using Pandigitals PC updater. I would do that first, any problems and you can blame them. LOL

Their lasted update should give you this update, but it will be locked and have no Market. But a feel for Android.

Then do this upgrade once you get bored. Probably in 5 min.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BoSoxSYCO

You have a very early flash July 30,2010. I am guessing US with Barnes & Noble. Is your Home screen B&N? and doesn't look like Android at all. That version doesn't have softkeys but most of the apps have on screen menus. Plus virtually impossibe to add apps, as there is no way to access them.

You can update using this firmware no problems. But you can also update using Pandigitals PC updater. I would do that first, any problems and you can blame them. LOL

Their lasted update should give you this update, but it will be locked and have no Market. But a feel for Android.

Then do this upgrade once you get bored. Probably in 5 min.
Your guess is correct Oh Mighty Wise One. It is the US version with B&N and the Home Screen is the B&N one. I have not run any updates so far, all Ive done was just familiarize myself with the unit (
I said unit).

I will be updating via the PD website this morning and then running the update from your initial post soon after. If I understand you correctly, once I have run BOTH updates my BPDN will have the Android look, market access, able to add apps., and watch YouTube/flash videos?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

First off, sorry for being new at this. Secondly, I have a QVC BPDN and I've been trying desperately to update it. I must be doing something wrong.. Do I just place the .dat file on the root of the SD card and hold +vol and power to boot from it? If so, I've tried that several times as well as unzipping etc. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.