Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My WiFi is now broken (goes off and won't find any networks) and you cannot update the B&N store on the main bookshelf. Wait until Pandigital releases another firmware without problems.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've seen other people who are really happy with it, but I've seen the complaints too. It might be time for us to start rolling some hybrid firmwares. (or in this case, a kernel-only or kernel+ramdisk update since no one seems happy with the rest of it)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
My Wifi is better than even the 7/18 firmware, especially during boot up. Still some infrequent issues after sleep, but worse case I can power off / power on and that seems to fix it.I don't use the B&N store, so I cannot comment on that.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the only issue I noticed with the new firmware is the battery lasts much less time. before I updated to 7-24 yesterday, I have never drained the battery. last night, the battery was drained. I charge it every night, so it was fully charged before the update.oh well. you can't get something for nothing!

·
Registered
133 Posts
[quote name='derelicte;24927]the only issue I noticed with the new firmware is the battery lasts much less time. before I updated to 7-24 yesterday' date=' I have never drained the battery. last night, the battery was drained. I charge it every night, so it was fully charged before the update.oh well. you can't get something for nothing![/QUOTE']I noticed it too. I configured SetCPU to max of 400 Mhz (from 800 Mhz). 533 is no longer an option!

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='donolsen1155;24810]Most people are happy with it. My Wifi connect works flawlessly now...it used to do what you are claiming yours does now. Much faster' date=' and the interface is finally enjoyable to use.[/QUOTE'] It will connect after a reboot or power on but if you let the tablet sit a while and it goes to sleep when it comes back on the wifi will never connect or find any access points. The only option is to power down and reboot. That is a major bug and an inconvenience to say the least.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I upgraded using the pc connect from Pandigital's website.Did it since some of the apps I'd installed weren't any good so I decided to just start over.Have to recalibrate and load in personal stuff but so far so good I guess.I'm going to be much more choosey with the apps I install this time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm tempted to blow everything away and start clean with 7/24-unmodified, being a bit more picky about apps, too. Just to see if it makes any difference at all anywhere. I noticed when doing the 7/18 firmware that not everything on the internal card was cleared; some cruft remained. I'm assuming that I can totally wipe the internal card and a firmware refresh will repopulate those bits as necessary? I want it utterly pristine/stock and free of any leftovers from my previous meddlings.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote name='xelachen;24945]I'm tempted to blow everything away and start clean with 7/24-unmodified' date=' being a bit more picky about apps, too. Just to see if it makes any difference at all anywhere. I noticed when doing the 7/18 firmware that not everything on the internal card was cleared; some cruft remained. I'm assuming that I can totally wipe the internal card and a firmware refresh will repopulate those bits as necessary? I want it utterly pristine/stock and free of any leftovers from my previous meddlings.[/QUOTE'] You would want to format both internal and external sd cards, do a factory reset on the device then flash firmware. But I would not use 7-24 as it has bugs. My WiFi doesn't work after the unit wakes up from sleeping and you cannot update the B&N store. I would wait until Pandigital does another update to fix the bugs they injected into this one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pros for me: My Wifi is working fine, the UI is faster. Cons for me: Some apps no longer work (like youtube), force close popups on things that were fine before (though most of them don't prevent the use of most apps).Verdict: With the faster UI and wifi working great, I'm staying with the 7-24 update. I have things set up so that I can reload *everything* after a full update in under 15 minutes. I hope the next update is soon, and it has all the advantages of 7-24, with the stability of 7-18.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote name='cpetterborg;25060]Pros for me: My Wifi is working fine' date=' the UI is faster. Cons for me: Some apps no longer work (like youtube), force close popups on things that were fine before (though most of them don't prevent the use of most apps).Verdict: With the faster UI and wifi working great, I'm staying with the 7-24 update. I have things set up so that I can reload *everything* after a full update in under 15 minutes. I hope the next update is soon, and it has all the advantages of 7-24, with the stability of 7-18.[/QUOTE'] There is a working Youtube app for 7-24 firmware. When I installed the Google experience pack alpha, I took out the youtube apk and replaced it with the working one.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='Noah98;25216]There is a working Youtube app for 7-24 firmware. When I installed the Google experience pack alpha' date=' I took out the youtube apk and replaced it with the working one.[/QUOTE'] Yeah, sorry about that :)Youtube was the one thing I didn't test, figures it was broken. I never went back and fixed it and now I can't even edit the post.

·
Registered
61 Posts
[quote name='rspray;25533]The PD browser forces close a lot now when I try to use bookmarks. I haven't tied Opera or Dolphin since the update' date=' maybe they are working better now.[/QUOTE'] Try using skyfire? I use it on 7-24 and it works great

·
Registered
104 Posts
Upgraded a _stock_ 7/5/10 fw based white PDN up to 7/24 firmware. Had a problem getting it to recognize the sdcard correctly. However after all was said and done, unit does act more responsive/snappier, and wifi does seem to find a little faster (this may just be my perception and not timed) The lack of directions on how to do a f/w update PD site is my major complaint. Not everyone is going to be super knowledgeable etc.Too bad they backed down, i Found 7/24 to be fine for now. but then again I don't use B&N store etc...

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote name='tadroid;25737]In case no one has noticed' date=' Pandigital seems to have backed off to the 7-18 version on their download site...[/QUOTE'] Yep, you are so right! I guess that confirms my sentiments in the OP. Probably B&N didn't like that users could no longer update the bookstore shelf in the main home app. At least Pandigital responds to problems and know we know they are aware of the problems and I am sure working on a new firmware to be released soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.