Android Tablets Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello, I have made an external battery for Eken for less than 5 € (if you have rechargeable batteries).Materials: one battery holder for 8 batteries, cable, a heat shrink sleeve and a power connector.For 9 or 9.5 V we need only 7 rechargeable batteries (serial connection) and we need to close the circuit with a cable in the back row. We check with a tester (sorry, I invested polarity, but the voltage is ok).Lengthen the wires and get into the shrinkable sleeve.We weld the connector (red wire positive-center)Heat the sleeve with a hairdryer.Connect it to Eken and ... charging.It works good when the MID is off, full charge in about 4 hours, but it doesn't work when EKEN is on. I think the problem is the amperage. The EKEN draws about 600 mA (1600 mAh/ 2.5-3 hours) and my charger don't supplies enough.CONCLUSION: This charger has a limited utility, only to charge the MID when is off.More photos in the next post

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, I made the charger today and still do not know. I think that with 2500mAh batteries about 3.5 or 4 hours. I will tell about it after some days. The real voltage is 1.2-1.3V for rechargeable batteries.

·
Registered
31 Posts
But I did this instead...went to amazon and did some looking found this solar powered charger for cell phones.http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Charger...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284189254&sr=1-17it has a rechargeable battery in it, I made my own cord to connect to my device and now I can either leave it near a light and charge it up and plug it in when I need it or I can keep it connected while I'm using my eken and it will charge as I go. works great never overcharges or anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got the very same idea and am thinking about building this myself. Id just like to know the parameters of your batteries and how long they last. Given that there is only 1600 mAh battery built-in in my M002 and the ones you used are 2500 mAh, they should last quite a bit longer than 4 hours. Since its easy to pick a different power cell (I even found a single 1.2V cell with 22 000 mAh capacity, although one cell itself weighted over 300 grams
), it would be good to know the ratio between power cell capacity and its life. Please, if you could, include all the data like usual output current, charging time of internal Ekens battery and such.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[quote name='doc8927;54868]But I did this instead...went to amazon and did some looking found this solar powered charger for cell phones.[URL=http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Charger-Battery-Motorola-Z6tv/dp/B003FV6X5W/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284189254&sr=1-17]Amazon.com: Solar Charger Battery For Motorola Z6tv ROKR E2 E6 Z6m & More!: Electronics[/URL]it has a rechargeable battery in it' date=' I made my own cord to connect to my device and now I can either leave it near a light and charge it up and plug it in when I need it or I can keep it connected while I'm using my eken and it will charge as I go. works great never overcharges or anything.[/QUOTE']Does it work with the EKEN? Because it's only 5.5V output. If you can confirm that it works there are a lot of 5V external battery chargers really cheap on Ebay or chinese stores. Like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Extern...AU_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item27b488d502 or this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13164#open full viewDoes anyone have a psp? Maybe is the same power connector (I've used a sony power connector for my charger).

·
Registered
31 Posts
patolucas;54884 said:
Does it work with the EKEN? Because it's only 5.5V output. If you can confirm that it works there are a lot of 5V external battery chargers really cheap on Ebay or chinese stores. Like this Portable External Mobile Charger BATTERY PSP 2000 3000 - eBay (item 170532590850 end time Sep-25-10 01:50:55 PDT) or this DealExtreme: $10.87 "24000mAh" External Rechargeable USB Battery Pack for PSP/NDS/DS Lite/GBA/MP3/MP4/PDADoes anyone have a psp? Maybe is the same power connector (I've used a sony power connector for my charger).
I won't know till I get the cord done. I'll let you know when I know.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
A very bad first experience. Only has charged a 30% of EKEN battery. Maybe the batteries were not charged or maybe damaged (I've got these batteries many years ago), I'm going to try with others batteries (but my charger is not good, and I can't know if are full charged).P.S. Anyone has a PSP can says me if the power connector is the same like the EKEN charger? Thanks
exilaus;55089 said:
if any want buy and attach any type of battery from 1.5v to 5.5 i suggest use my cable.http://www.slatedroid.com/eken-m001-modding/2883-diy-idea-usb-charge-cable-2.html#post52599
Probably is the best solution. Can you post a tutorial for electronic-newbies?What do you think about this 9V charger? 2600mAh Solar Power Battery Charger For Cell Phone MP3 - eBay (item 170538309966 end time Sep-12-10 17:32:30 PDT) Do you think 800mA will be enough?

·
Registered
202 Posts
2600 solar is great idea but all dipend at 9.0 v quality of regulator .when have time modify my blog page on slatedroid with step by step guide.if you read a datasheet of texas instrument chip is simple to find all information...big down for my circuit are a TI chip is cost 15$ from TI..try to find on ebay (i find it for 6$ if remeber good)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a few sample USB power cables with adapters coming in soon. They are designed for M001. Will try get a solar powered charger, test and let you guys know how it goes.But would these chargers mentioned, would they actually work? Output does not seem to be enough, M001 need 9V,correct? These don't even come close

·
Registered
108 Posts
[quote name='exilaus;55405]2600 solar is great idea but all dipend at 9.0 v quality of regulator .when have time modify my blog page on slatedroid with step by step guide.if you read a datasheet of texas instrument chip is simple to find all information...big down for my circuit are a TI chip is cost 15$ from TI..try to find on ebay (i find it for 6$ if remeber good)[/QUOTE] Thanks. [QUOTE=milky;55416]I have a few sample USB power cables with adapters coming in soon. They are designed for M001. Will try get a solar powered charger' date=' test and let you guys know how it goes.But would these chargers mentioned, would they actually work? Output does not seem to be enough, M001 need 9V,correct? These don't even come close[/QUOTE'] This one has a voltage selector (including 9V), the question is if 800mA are enough for our EKEN (supplied charger is 1.5A).

·
Registered
409 Posts
patolucas;55168 said:
P.S. Anyone has a PSP can says me if the power connector is the same like the EKEN charger? Thanks
Yes PSP have same connector - i use it as power supply for my EKEN, but it only 5v and can't charge battery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some news about my 5 € charger: It works good when the MID is off, full charge in about 4 hours, but it doesn't work when EKEN is on. I think the problem is the amperage. Charging with MID off, it supplies about 400 mA (1600 mAh/4hours)). With EKEN on, it needs about 600 mA to work (1600 mAh/2.5-3 hours of use) and maybe 800 mAh can be enough to use the M001 with the solar charger.The AC charger offers in theory 1.5A, but we need know how many mA draws the Eken.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Patolucas: I think when you make an external battery that kind,charging the internal battery until there is a load balancing betweenbatteries.You can never transfer all the energy of external to internal battery.It is my humble opinion.Patolucas: pienso que cuando haces una bateria externa de ese tipo, se carga la bateria interna hasta que haya un equilibrio de cargas entre ambas baterias.Nunca podras transferir toda la carga de la bateria externa a la interna. Es mi humilde opinion.Sorry for my Googlenglish...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts