Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hours of screwing around with config xmls in the rom I finally gave up messing with trying to program Android on our M003s or having it be able to save a new APN (it will not no matter what I do) so I just gave up. You may remember my earlier post where I described putting my unlocked Huawei E160 modem into the M003 usb port and using the 3g settings in the 1.74 firmware to start a 3G connection. The procedure I used that worked was to:A) Put my Tmobile USA sim (with active data plan) into the Huawei E160 and plug it into the data port.
Clicking 3g settings under wireless settings popped up a mini dialer with name, username, password etc. I entered anything I wanted into name and left the rest blank. Then I hit connect. It gave me a solid signal on the Huawei immediately.The glitch was (as I reported earlier) that my Tmobile dataplan is for a smart phone and it needs the apn : internet2.voicestream.com to work. So when I opened a browser it sent me to tmobile's web2go site where it said I needed to sign up for a data plan. Well, I was thrilled just to get that far as the M003 was talking to my sim and I was on the web. I could surf Tmobile's free stuff but couldn't get off their site. So after wasting three days screwing with the APN-SETTINGS permissions in the config files and other tweaks (including rooting, ect.) and endlessly trying to save a new APN, I finally just decided to click the "Click here to subscribe" on their website and - voila - INSTANT FULL FAST SURFING WITH 3G ON THE M003!!!My plan was 10 bucks a month for smart phone unlimited web and the new one I subscribed to was 25 a month so the difference is bearable but now that we know this is possible on the M003 I'm sure some of you geniuses will figure out how to let us write new APNs and I can dial my old one and save some coin.I'm a Winmobile user and know nothing of Android but nosing around in the config files it looks like Eken disabled the apn functionality on the devcie. There's supposed to be a preffered_provider_apn file somewhere on the device and it does not exist. There's a program in the Market that turns apn on and off. I did that to no available. No APN was visible. I know it was physicall storing my newly entered apns somewhere though as another program from market (Chee's something or other) would let me backup my apns. After entering each new one I would back them up and see Chee's program saying I had increased the apns by 1, so I know they are somewhere. But the M003 refuses to let me see them or use them.I have no idea if other sims out there will get on the net this seamlessly, but the M003 definitely has drivers for the Huawei E220 3g usb stick that see an E160 perfectly. So with some work I know it's possible that all of you can get 3G on your existing sub $150 M003, which is pretty sweet.I'm burnt out on making this work but am willing to try some more hacking after the weekend if anyone can help me get APN functionality enabled then I can at least see if I can dial different APNs with this kown working 3G modem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: The 3g settings dialing technique will work with APN on or off, so no need to download all the programs to help you get into the apn interface. My feeling is that android is using the Huawei drivers to use the USB stick as a dialing modem so no amount of tweaking will probably ever give us APN capability as the M003 is not seeing the sim as internal or part of the "phone". Huawei probably needs to write an interface like they do with Internet Everywhere to get us APN and voice capability, both of which these sticks have on Windows. BTW: Google Chrome and Opera Mini work flawlessly with the 3G stick. Google Market does not work as it doesn't see the network connection. Which I'm actually glad about since it's not constantly downloading crap in the BG.I am finding that after setting up a new 3g connection that setting will get me online a couple times then just hang on the next session. No worries - simply delete it and create a new one in 3G settings. Will take you all of three seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,i'm also try to connect my E220 TIM (Italian) Branded card, but no way.. I make a new 3g connection with the E220 option but the M003 freez for some second and then the Box with the worning for the application error come out..How did you make the connection??? You have used a no brand E220 dashboard?? A Custom E220 firmware??A last question.. there are some way to see if the M003 see the internet key?? the led on it become blue blinking, but nothing else appear...Thanks a lot!!!Bye byeMatteo

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
I have an E1553 Huawei USB stick modem. I have tried connecting with that but it doesn't work. The blue light just blinks and the M003 never connects it to the 3G network. I am using the unofficial Slatedroid firmware. Is there something I need to add or do to make it work? All the Huawei modems use the same dialing protocols so the drivers for the one in the M003 should work for all of them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could you let me know the link for the update? Do I need to update?My firmware is 1.5 Kernel 2.6.25 rockchip 1.2.7(ruiguan). Build number: RK-1.3.2 eng root 20100512.140303Model number sdkDemoI tried to adb apns-conf.xml and push it but it keeps saying it is only readable. How to go about changing it or just update the 1.74 firmware? Please show us the step you taken to make 3G usb works. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote name='cahya;13959]Whether you can give a picture about the results of Huawei's 3G connection using a modem is?I was in Indonesia ... and are trying to use the Internet Connect using a modem huawei E220 3G. remained until now' date=' I still could not make connection to the internet.[/QUOTE'] I'm from indonesia,and i'm get same problem with Huawie connection. I can't see my modem is connect or not when i connect it via usb connection.so please give more teaching for me..how to connect that, how about give the pic about connection tutor. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Huawei E220 - No problem fully activating, working flawlessly -connected to t-mobile USA with ease! See my post in the forum "Eken M003" - I am connected directly, without any hick-ups. All explained in my post. Believe you must activate E220 first on laptop/desktop in Windows...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.