Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd that this tablet wouldn't handle 3D games better than it does. I see that it has a Mali-400 GPU which is supposed to be one of the top mobile GPUs and is the GPU in phones like the Samsung Galaxy S II. I've noticed that some 3D is not rendered properly such as Quadrant benchmark. Textures in the 3D tests are non existent, at least on my Nova. Also installed Dead Space and everything was black and white with no textures to them. However games like Asphalt 5 and Xplane 9 run just fine with the exception of Asphalt not scaling to fullscreen. It only takes up about a quarter of the screen. Wonder why this is and if there's anything that can be done to fix it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Try installing ChainFire 3D. But without it I am getting great graphics in quadrant. What is your score? A lot of games have problems with the resolution, which is why you have the offset. Also you have to make sure the app hasn;t been hacked for a particular tablet or phone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try installing ChainFire 3D. But without it I am getting great graphics in quadrant. What is your score? A lot of games have problems with the resolution, which is why you have the offset. Also you have to make sure the app hasn;t been hacked for a particular tablet or phone.
Dead Space had SD files specifically for Mali-400 GPU's. I believe my 3D score in Quadrant was 709 but like I said when I ran it tests such as where the moon is rotating around the planet all I see is a white background and the moon and planet are grey. No textures at all. Where as on my phone the background is stars the planet is an orange color and the moon looks like....well the moon. Is this what you experience running Quadrant? Perhaps I have a hardware problem with the tablet.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Dead Space had SD files specifically for Mali-400 GPU's. I believe my 3D score in Quadrant was 709 but like I said when I ran it tests such as where the moon is rotating around the planet all I see is a white background and the moon and planet are grey. No textures at all. Where as on my phone the background is stars the planet is an orange color and the moon looks like....well the moon. Is this what you experience running Quadrant? Perhaps I have a hardware problem with the tablet.
I am not sure which firmware you are on and that may be an issue, maybe even just a bad flash. I only have Quadrant Standard so I cant run the single tests for scores. But try Nena Mark to test the 3D. I am getting 45FPS. What is your overall Quadrant score? I am getting 1800 - 2000 on this test firmware.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not sure which firmware you are on and that may be an issue, maybe even just a bad flash. I only have Quadrant Standard so I cant run the single tests for scores. But try Nena Mark to test the 3D. I am getting 45FPS. What is your overall Quadrant score? I am getting 1800 - 2000 on this test firmware.
Ok this is really weird. I just re-installed Quadrant Standard instead of Pro and now the 3D tests run the way they should. Overall with the 10262011 FW for my Model which is the 452 from Best Buy I got 1002. I may flash the test firmware in a bit but won't that wipe out my root and the apps I have installed?

Oh yeah I got 43.5 FPS in Nenamark 1 and 19.2 FPS in Nenamark 2.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It should just wipe your root. Your Nena scores are right on. To give you an example the same test on a C-A8 without the Mali a good score is 25FPS.

Are you running just the root and no tweaks?

My scores before tweaks were around 1200. It is funny because this test firmware actually feels slow, hard to describe, but tests well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should just wipe your root. Your Nena scores are right on. To give you an example the same test on a C-A8 without the Mali a good score is 25FPS.

Are you running just the root and no tweaks?

My scores before tweaks were around 1200. It is funny because this test firmware actually feels slow, hard to describe, but tests well.
I was unaware that there were tweaks. I just did the root and the market thing. I don't think there's any way to overclock this thing yet, so other than that I don't know of any other performance enhancements.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was unaware that there were tweaks. I just did the root and the market thing. I don't think there's any way to overclock this thing yet, so other than that I don't know of any other performance enhancements.
There is just some small stuff. Look into Android Assistant or Optimize Toolbox but for this you want 2.0.8 , 2.0.9 the startup manager loses setting occasionally and any thing over that is in Chinese. Both let you manage what apps run at startup, power profiles. You should already have ES Taskmanager, just add the widget if you haven't. Then there is Chainfire 3D which enhances your OpenGL performance. You can google for some ram scripts and others as well. It is hard to say how much they really work as you can have variance in performance when running a series of benchmarks, and I have never seen a really significant number from a script. There isn't an overclock, but I think overclock widget will let you set the processor to run full on instead of min/max on demand. Eats a little battery though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Odd that this tablet wouldn't handle 3D games better than it does. I see that it has a Mali-400 GPU which is supposed to be one of the top mobile GPUs and is the GPU in phones like the Samsung Galaxy S II. I've noticed that some 3D is not rendered properly such as Quadrant benchmark. Textures in the 3D tests are non existent, at least on my Nova. Also installed Dead Space and everything was black and white with no textures to them. However games like Asphalt 5 and Xplane 9 run just fine with the exception of Asphalt not scaling to fullscreen. It only takes up about a quarter of the screen. Wonder why this is and if there's anything that can be done to fix it.
LOOK at this:

This is my pandigital planet running shadowgun, one of the best looking android games to date.
Chainfire 3d, just the 2 options to decrease textures. Sides are cut off though.

Runs SMOOTHLY 20-30fps.

Powerful mali gpu. Just hard time finding the right screen density for the pandigital tablets. A lot of games require a certain screen density, build.prop fingerprint, and resolution. I'm sure the planet/nova can can run dead space and gameloft games easily with chainfire 3d once all the kinks are sorted out first. The MALI-400 GPU is a BEAST!!!!

Gameplay:

·
Registered
54 Posts
"NOVA 2" by gameloft also works on the pandigital planet and I assume will work on the nova 2. Graphics look great and runs smooth. However it's not recognizing my usb keyboard case so its unplayable

Why can't resistive screens be at least multi touch with 2 points? I can pinch and zoom web pages okay.....

Anyways Shadowgun is the best looking game so far and works with usb keyboard so its playable. Amazing what these tablets can do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts