Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi eveyone,

I am currently planning to buy 32gb class10 card. Firstly I think I will need fdisk file or firmware upgrade kit for 32gb microSd. I would appreciate if anyone uploads 32gb firmware flashing pack like Navster did before.

Secondly, I am using Slatedroid Singularity Firmware V5 in my tab. I would like to revise this firmware for my self ,pre flashed.. I saw there are some applications which builds custom Roms and called blah blah kitchen. But I dont know a kitchen application for singularity firmware to customize it.

My willings are such:
from Slatedroid Singularity Firmware v5 ,
I would like to remove SMS, Contacts, Phone, Launcher, Skyfire,Dophin browser, gmail, email apps...

And would like to add, Launcher proplus, skype, chainfire, firefox, advanted task killer pro skype... And some of my apk s too.

Is there any way to do these things and cook my own firmware?? Or really i need to go hard way and do each of them after flashing?

Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
For to use a 32GB TF Card youi'll need an modified fdiskcmd.txt file. You don't need an extra firmware!

I'd plaid with that around and didn't find a solution yet. That were maybe about the TF I got. It's an Kingston 32GB Class10 and I exchanged with the supplier already. But I'd problems with Kingston TF Cards before as 8GB and 16GB Cards! So I didn't trust them!

If you ask me, I would say: stay with the 16GB Card which is working for you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi eveyone,

I am currently planning to buy 32gb class10 card. Firstly I think I will need fdisk file or firmware upgrade kit for 32gb microSd. I would appreciate if anyone uploads 32gb firmware flashing pack like Navster did before.

Secondly, I am using Slatedroid Singularity Firmware V5 in my tab. I would like to revise this firmware for my self ,pre flashed.. I saw there are some applications which builds custom Roms and called blah blah kitchen. But I dont know a kitchen application for singularity firmware to customize it.

My willings are such:
from Slatedroid Singularity Firmware v5 ,
I would like to remove SMS, Contacts, Phone, Launcher, Skyfire,Dophin browser, gmail, email apps...

And would like to add, Launcher proplus, skype, chainfire, firefox, advanted task killer pro skype... And some of my apk s too.

Is there any way to do these things and cook my own firmware?? Or really i need to go hard way and do each of them after flashing?

Thanks a lot.
The fdisk files in my upgrade packs were in existence and tested by me on the relevant hardware before I published them with my guide. I've not taken the 32GB card upgrade task on but perhaps we can have a go at creating the partitions together on this thread when you get the card.

In the meantime, this is how you customise your pre-flash firmware image, assuming you are familiar with Ubuntu and are working from your home directory:

1. Open up a terminal windows on your Ubuntu desktop

2. Using your filemanager, copy all of your firmware files to a folder called "files" in your home directory

3. Using your filemanager, copy all of your necessary apps to a folder called "apk" in your home directory

4. Using your filemanager, create a folder called "temp" in your home directory

5. Mount your system.img file for editing using the following command within the terminal window

cd files
sudo mount -o loop system.img ~/temp

6. Delete the apps you would not like to have in your custom build firmware from your "/temp/app" folder as per the following example:

sudo rm ~/temp/app/Gmail.apk

7. Copy the apps you would like to have in your custom build firmware from your "apk" folder to your "/temp/app" folder as per the following example, note there is a size limit to the folder!

sudo cp ~/apk/YouTube.apk ~/temp/app

8. Change the onwership of the files within finished folder using the following commands within the terminal window

cd
sudo chown -R root:root ~/temp

9. Unmount your system.img file using the following command within the terminal window

sudo umount temp

10. Using your filemanager, delete the "temp" folder we created earlier

11. Change the permissions\ownership of the finished folder using the following commands within the terminal window

cd
sudo chmod 777 ~/files/
sudo chown -R root:root ~/files/

12. You may now use the contents of the "files" folder to flash your newly created custom firmware by the method of your choice

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks for responses.

Reimar, thanks for advice but i am willing to do some development, if we catch 32gb that would worth to going on the hard way. Or maybe its the joy of this.

Thanks. Also I have ppl in real.. pmdg737ngx is just came out. maybe u should check that out.. amazing...

Navster, i am going to order 32microsd today, so maybe you can assist me to build this fdisk fmc..

secondly, I go the way that u wrote. with your explanation it became very easy. I made the erasing part of apks, but when I try to put my apks to folder, It says `not enough space` and mounted folder somehow has only 5mb space left. So i couldn't figure out a way to go .

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks for responses.

Reimar, thanks for advice but i am willing to do some development, if we catch 32gb that would worth to going on the hard way. Or maybe its the joy of this.

Thanks. Also I have ppl in real.. pmdg737ngx is just came out. maybe u should check that out.. amazing...

Navster, i am going to order 32microsd today, so maybe you can assist me to build this fdisk fmc..

secondly, I go the way that u wrote. with your explanation it became very easy. I made the erasing part of apks, but when I try to put my apks to folder, It says `not enough space` and mounted folder somehow has only 5mb space left. So i couldn't figure out a way to go .
Sorry, i corrected my previous post with instructions after i realised Ubuntu will not let you delete root files from GUI. Your error may be because you cannot exceed the original size of the system.img file, which i believe is around 120MB, how many APK are you trying to load into the folder?

·
Registered
15 Posts
navster,
I have always started GUI from terminal with command

sudo nautilus ~/temp

which makes GUI rooted.

my apk files in total are 55mb. But
i have only 5mb free as seen in screenshot.

I also tried 8gb pack too. It is also same, when it is mounted it only has 5mb free. And you are right that because of system.img file is 120mb size, it wont exceed that value when mounted.. So I think we should increase the system.img file size.

·
Registered
150 Posts
navster,
I have always started GUI from terminal with command

sudo nautilus ~/temp

which makes GUI rooted.

my apk files in total are 55mb. But
i have only 5mb free as seen in screenshot.

I also tried 8gb pack too. It is also same, when it is mounted it only has 5mb free. And you are right that because of system.img file is 120mb size, it wont exceed that value when mounted.. So I think we should increase the system.img file size.
Nice desktop and dock

As far as I know, if you increase the file size, the firmware flash will fail ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
So the other option for me,

I will clean unwanted apk files then will cook the rom. That will be a compact and suitable firmware for me,

after that I am planing put my own apks to in a folder and do a batch install from adb shell..

adb shell
su
cd /extsd/apk
for app in *.apk; do pm install -r $app; done

info:
[extsd/apk] folder is optional. here it is my folder that I created on external sd card which includes my downloaded apks.

So firmware customization resulted in this way..

·
Registered
150 Posts
So the other option for me,

I will clean unwanted apk files then will cook the rom. That will be a compact and suitable firmware for me,

after that I am planing put my own apks to in a folder and do a batch install from adb shell..

adb shell
su
cd /extsd/apk
for app in *.apk; do pm install -r $app; done

info:
[extsd/apk] folder is optional. here it is my folder that I created on external sd card which includes my downloaded apks.

So firmware customization resulted in this way..
That sounds like the best approach, you can probably put a few of your apps on the system partition but not 55Mb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Navster

Let me ask that,

does the size of `Internal device storage` changes in 16 or 32gb card? if not that would make no sense to go on with 32gb.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The only person i know that has tried the 32GB upgrade is Reimar but i think he had a problem with getting fdisk.cmd to partition correctly, this is an interesting piece of iMX51 documentation taken from someone on XDA:

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sounds like the best approach, you can probably put a few of your apps on the system partition but not 55Mb
Here is how to add 35MB to the the system.img size in Ubuntu:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=35 >> ./system.img<br />
resize2fs ./system.img<br />
e2fsck -f -p ./system.img<br />
I do this for all of my source builds, and haven't had a problem. Stock fdiskcmd.txt gives 190MB for /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 so you should be safe to create a system.img up to that size.

Note: If you have a 120MB system.img that's completely full and flash it using mfgtool, Android will show 0 freespace on /system. But if you download this MfgTool and run the MaximizeFS task, it will run the resize2fs and e2fsck commands on /system. Next time you boot up into android it should show
~70MB free on /system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts