Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if now when the drivers for 2.3 are available the implementation of 3.X/4.X would be even possible on our Rena's. Just wanted to start the ball rolling for the smart people

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if now when the drivers for 2.3 are available the implementation of 3.X/4.X would be even possible on our Rena's. Just wanted to start the ball rolling for the smart people

Thanks,
Paul
Yes anything is possible. Even with an ARM11 processor....

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Yea surprisingly 2.3 works on some ARM11 processors, so that should mean that you can get 4.0 on an ARM11 device, right? Actually it better have a lot of RAM and a fast ARM11 processor for everything to work right from my experience. At least decent hardware.

They just released the source for ICS yesterday I believe, even though it was announced in October... So it's at least a couple of months off, probably a year away for this device since 2.3 was released around this time last year.. 2.2 to 2.3 wasn't that big of a hurdle, surely going to 4.0 has to be a bigger hurdle. If we could just get the EV2 SDK here it would like 2 weeks till a version was available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't comment on the possibility of 3 or 4 coming to these tablets any time soon, but I do believe it to be in Renesas' best interest to continue developing software for their ev2 processors. Otherwise their market for these chips would likely suffer.

Now for the sake of clarity, there is no arm11 processor in the rena. It's a Cortex A9 processor which is based on ARMv7. Arm11 refers to ARMv6. These are different. I do not know the specifics but I am led to believe that in addition to being faster, a Cortex cpu puts us in a much better position for seeing ICS ported/developed/hacked onto the tablet.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Now for the sake of clarity, there is no arm11 processor in the rena. It's a Cortex A9 processor which is based on ARMv7. Arm11 refers to ARMv6. These are different. I do not know the specifics but I am led to believe that in addition to being faster, a Cortex cpu puts us in a much better position for seeing ICS ported/developed/hacked onto the tablet.
ARM11 (ARMv6 architecture) is actually the predecessor to the Cortex (Armv7) family, it's like species-genus-subspecies etc with these things. Essentially the first Android devices were ARM11 and have a lot of issues, like they won't work with Flash and tend to have more issues in general because the hardware is lacking. Who cares about Flash anyway, Adobe is dropping it for HTML5... Each level of the ARM standard provides improvement via various features, like going from Pentium2 to I7 processors. Instructions change, security is different, more is added to the core and so on. It's likely the A9 family will be around much longer than anything else out there right now, because as of right now it typically has the most features. Here's a handy guide:

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?showtopic=24696&view=getnewpost

With my MyTouch3g (Arm11), that I just ditched a few months back they were taking the kernel from the previous version of the OS, and using the source code/kernel for the new version. And they are still pretty much doing this with Cyanogenmod 7, using the 2.2 kernel (2.6.32). ICS uses kernel version 3.01, as compared to our latest kernel of 2.6.35 on the Rena3. Not sure, but there is a possibility for someone to go ahead and start building ICS with the 2.6.35 kernel, or a kernel from a 2.2 ROM, but you won't get all the new features. It's still worth a try, may fix some issues, or present more issues to resolve.

http://fineoils.blogspot.com/2011/10/ice-cream-sandwich-runs-on-linux-kernel.html

So looking at that, you have to believe that ICS was developed more for the A9 than maybe even for the A8 family, genus, whatever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Google's Official words: No problem for ICS on device if it support Gingerbread. Because of the same hardware requirements.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A totally different question - where the interest on this for manufacturer? There is more profit for manufacturer to sell new device, rather than pull old one for free....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well it is pretty marketable, and I can imagine that if they continued to support the product they could keep up sales atleast for awhile longer. Most likely the chipset will begin to get cheaper too as the next gen EMV3 chipset comes out so IMO it'd be in the interest of both the manufacturer and the resellers / suppliers to have it support ICS.

·
Registered
353 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts