Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 16GB SD card limit a limit of the hardware or the software?Could we potentially use something bigger in the future with an update of some sort? Or are we stuck with 16GB because that is all that existed when this device was constructed?Also, what brands/models of SDHC cards have you peeps had success with? Does the class matter?(I would love some newegg links=)Just trying to get all my ducks in a row while I patiently(ok, so not so patiently) await my A81E's arrival!Great forum btw. Very informative.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Yes the Class does matter. Since Class (2) is only 2mb/s slower as the faster Class (4) is 4mb/s double I/D as well as Class (6) is 6mb/s the quickest comes at a price though. Hardware in the tablet would need to be able to catch up to the the speedy Class too. I won't go any higher than Class (4). I use 16GB Class (4) microSDHC in my tablet and 4 to 8GB in my other tablet. Right now it depends on the ROM if it can do more than 16GB. If only 16GB was out at the time they first designed! Then the tablet might not be able to go to 32GB? It would need to be tested by the OEM. But right now the 32GB is expensive. 64GB and 128GB was mentioned by SanDisk as I recalled. So more like firmware in this case ROM would need to support larger GB. You could take the risk and test for yourself, but that's on you though?

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='tipstir;54614]Yes the Class does matter. Since Class (2) is only 2mb/s as Class (4) is 4mb/s as well as Class (6) is 6mb/s. I use 16GB Class (4) microSDHC in my tablet and 4 to 8GB in my other tablet. Right now it depends on the ROM if it can do more than 16GB. If only 16GB was out at the time they first designed! Then the tablet might not be able to go to 32GB? It would need to be tested by the OEM. But right now the 32GB is expensive. 64GB and 128GB was mentioned by SanDisk as I recalled. So more like firmware in this case ROM would need to support larger GB. You could take the risk and test for yourself' date=' but that's on you though?[/QUOTE']Class only refers to minimum sustainable WRITE throughput and IMPLIES NOTHING whatsoever about read throughput or random access latencies... (It's mainly for camera and video recording applications...)This is because pre-SDHC u/mini/regular SD cards suffered throughput problems as the cards filled. In the particular case of uSD cards Toshiba(Japan -- sometime re-branded) 2GB cards were far and away the best, followed by the Taiwan made cards(misc. brands) were next, distantly trailed by Chinese made uSDs. I believe that this is still pretty much true for uSDHC cards, and likely as well for mini and regular.(aside: uSD == transflash)

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
cutterjohn;54618 said:
Class only refers to minimum sustainable WRITE throughput and IMPLIES NOTHING whatsoever about read throughput or random access latencies...
I/D instruction and data is what I am referring too though. Random Access more how it reads and writes the data. Cache would come into play. 4mb/s how much data it can move on the card. But Class (2) is slower than Class (4). I use both and you can tell the difference. But downloading to the SDCard you can also see the difference then again the wireless router or wireless router/modem and your ISP down speed would also have to be considered too. So it just not the fact of the card, there are other factors to consider too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the reader that comes with that Kingston, I got one with an 8 gb card. However with its thinness you may be tempted to keep it in your wallet, which I was. Then after about 2 weeks of me sitting on it, it no longer worked. :(BTW Chilli, where are you waiting for your A81E from? Waiting here from JTShop since 8/30. :/

·
Registered
164 Posts
[quote name='Chilli Willikers;54609]Is the 16GB SD card limit a limit of the hardware or the software?Could we potentially use something bigger in the future with an update of some sort? Or are we stuck with 16GB because that is all that existed when this device was constructed?Also' date=' what brands/models of SDHC cards have you peeps had success with? Does the class matter?(I would love some newegg links=)Just trying to get all my ducks in a row while I patiently(ok, so not so patiently) await my A81E's arrival!Great forum btw. Very informative.[/QUOTE']-------------------------------I know.. know .. it says Max. 16GB can be used but I tried and have been using with no problem, a 32GB card, from SanDisk got from Ch..., yes from there for $28/ shipped...! Check it out http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10662293/DOCS/LIFANG168.txt Good luck.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Chilli Willikers;54639 said:
I got mine cheaper and it came with 2x adapters and Kingston microSDHC 16GB Class (4) for $34.95 plus free shipping and no tax. I think its available still? I'll have to check? Here! It says no SD Adapters, too bad it was a good deal with the 2x adapter. They must have ran out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote name='plasmadis;54776]BTW Chilli' date=' where are you waiting for your A81E from? Waiting here from JTShop since 8/30. :/[/QUOTE']Ordered mine from Merimobiles on 9/07/10...says the order is either in the final stages of being processed or has been shipped and cannot be edited. I think that is a good sign. lolThanks for the links and advice everyone. I have always had good luck with Kingston products, but for the price, I might risk trying out a 32GB. Crazy how small everything is getting...32GB on something the size of my fingernail...incredible!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.